App to quicky put a folder on the internet?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I need an application to quickly share a folder out on the internet, much like iTunesatWork does with your iTunes library. I am behind a cable modem and router, so I need the ability to share a folder out over the internet, ideally just by launching an application and choosing the folder. Anyone know of an app to do this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by craig12co

Hi,

I need an application to quickly share a folder out on the internet, much like iTunesatWork does with your iTunes library. I am behind a firewall, so I need the ability to share a folder out over the internet, ideally just by launching an application and choosing the folder. Anyone know of an app to do this?

Thanks!

If you are behind a firewall, you won't be able to share files over the internet. All TCP-IP protocols need some accessible port on your machine. A properly configured firewall wont allow that.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Well.. Are you behind a software firewall or a hardware firewall?

Is it your firewall or is it like a company firewall thing? You could just open up port 80 with out losing to much security and then use Apple's built in web sharing.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Whoops!

I didn't mean I was behind a real firewall at all! I am simpl behind a cable modem and cable modem router running DHCP!
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Oh in that case Apples built in web sharing will work just fine for you.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by SilentEchoes

Oh in that case Apples built in web sharing will work just fine for you.

When I launched it, it gave me an IP for behind my cable modem router, a 192.168.x.x address. Any way to find out what the outside address and port number would be?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Make sure you have port forwarding set to your intranet addy and then go to something like whatismyip.com and it will tell ya what your IP is. PM me if you need more precise directions
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by SilentEchoes

Make sure you have port forwarding set to your intranet addy and then go to something like whatismyip.com and it will tell ya what your IP is. PM me if you need more precise directions

Would this be achieved via my router's setup, or something on OS X?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Router setup. Check and see what your lan IP is, your 192.168.x.x. and then have port 80 forwarded to that.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by craig12co

When I launched it, it gave me an IP for behind my cable modem router, a 192.168.x.x address. Any way to find out what the outside address and port number would be?

Go to myipaddress.com, it will tell you the IP address assigned to your router by your ISP.

You will also need to tell your router to assign a port to your computer. Sorry, I haven't done this in a while and I can't recall the port numbers to use. Perhaps someone else can help out on that.

Port 80 is for web pages. I vaguely recall that I had set a different port number.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Got it working. Thanks to everyone for all the help!