HAPPY BIRTHDAY... APPLE !!!!! (Jan 24th)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    from orig. macintosh to G5.....

it's been a fun 20 for me!
  • Reply 22 of 42
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Off to General Discussion we go.

I remember the first time I saw a Mac. It was cute, and it was weird with its dark text and light background, and I couldn't understand what use you'd have for a computer that didn't even come with BASIC...

• Reply 23 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Off to General Discussion we go.

I remember the first time I saw a Mac. It was cute, and it was weird with its dark text and light background, and I couldn't understand what use you'd have for a computer that didn't even come with BASIC...

I dont' remember seeing my first Macintosh... I guess it was college. (I was out of the computer loop for a while.) But I did meet my best friend in elementary school because he invited me over to play his Apple IIc. And just recently... I helped switch him back from PC to Mac when he bought a 12" powerbook.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    I remember seeing my first Mac in late 1984. I remember specifically playing with MacPaint and opening up that shoe. Yeah, but I was young, so I had about as much use for it as my grandmother did at the time. She eventually gave the computer to my family, and I've still got it sitting in a closet with the original packaging for MacWrite and MacPaint.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

I remember seeing my first Mac in late 1984. I remember specifically playing with MacPaint and opening up that shoe. Yeah, but I was young, so I had about as much use for it as my grandmother did at the time. She eventually gave the computer to my family, and I've still got it sitting in a closet with the original packaging for MacWrite and MacPaint.

wanna hand it down to me?
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Will Apple put something on their front page to comemorate the product that started the revolution? I hope so!
  • Reply 27 of 42
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    I still think they'll release a 20th anniversary product... maybe not today but within the next few days. The did seem to drill it home at MWSF that it was the 20th anniversary... yet nothing special was released for it. At least an SE addition of something...............\
  • Reply 28 of 42
    My god, the forum has been taken over by lawyers. Looked like future Hardware to me.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    the first Mac I saw magically appeared on my living room floor!

It was a Performa 475, delivered to my family because it was a freebee with my mum's university course. It was the first time I'd used a computer with a proper GUI (unless you count an Atari ST, which wasn't really in the same league.)

Amorya
  • Reply 30 of 42
    sunreinsunrein Posts: 138member
    The first Apple I saw was a bank of Apple IIe computers that my elementary school had. We would write simple BASIC programs and play games like "Oregon Trail." Two of the computers even had monitors with six colors! Suddenly only the grass was green instead of everything being green.

The first Mac I ever saw was a Macintosh IIci. It had a mouse! The family down the hill owned one. That was the first time I saw a GUI, with different fonts you could see on the screen and document formatting.

My mother got our family's first computer in 1984 from work so that she could work on databases at home. It was an IBM AT model 1 computer running MS-DOS. It's technical specs were an Intel 80286 6Mhz processor with 512k of RAM, 1.2 MB Floppy Drive, and a 20MB hard drive. I remember using a word processor on it and having to swap out the floppy disks just to run a spell check on the document I was writing. If you wanted to format the text at all, you had to open the reveal codes (very similar to basic HTML). I bought my first CD player two years later in 1986. Two years later we had a computer with an external device called a modem that I'd use to connect to a community BBS; usually long distance to Portland at the blinding speed of 300 baud.

Now twenty years later in 2004, I'm writing this post (with a wireless network connection to the Internet) using a new 15" Aluminum Powerbook with a 1.25Ghz G4 processor, 1024MB of RAM, an 80GB HD, SuperDrive DVD burner, Airport Extreme, FireWire 400/800, USB 2.0, built in modem, Gigabit ethernet, Bluetooth wireless mouse, with an portable 160GB FireWire 800 HD attached. I also own a 20GB iPod that at present holds 260 CDs of my music collection and automatically syncs to my laptop when they are connected.

Best guess is that our IBM desktop weighed in at approx. 30 lbs not counting the monitor. My powerbook weighs 5.6 lbs.

Life is good.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    my first Mac was a Macintosh Classic that we played PIRATES! and Sim City on. It was great. It is in the same place as my computer is now, except for the piece of furniture is now a desk, but the idea is the same. It was so easy. (why hasn't Apple updated it's page?)

HAPPY BIRFTHDAY!
  • Reply 32 of 42
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

ps: happy birthday escher

Dank u, gar. (Not sure my Google-Dutch is up to par.)

And Happy Birthday Macintosh!

I remember looking at an early Macintosh and wondering why anyone would need "thousands of colors" and that I was just fine with my IBM's 256. Little did I know.

Escher
  • Reply 33 of 42
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Dank u, gar. (Not sure my Google-Dutch is up to par.)

Escher

That's perfect Dutch right there

• Reply 34 of 42
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I'm surprised they haven't put a little something on the front page to mark the day
  • Reply 35 of 42
    I'm kinda dissapointed that Apple didn't do anything with there web site.

Another thing. I haven't heard hardly anyone talking about the Cube for the anniversity surprise. All this talk about PowerMacs, and G5 iMacs kinda pushed the cube to the back burner.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Happy Birthday Macintosh and Escher

You don't happen to have a six-coloured fruit birthmark, do you Escher?

Something along the lines of Giaguara's tattoo, perhaps?

How about a spec shootout...

Code:

Original Macintosh vs Escher

release date 1/24/84 1/24/84

memory 128K (G5 now 8GB) minimal at birth, now >8 GB

# of i/o ports floppy, kb, printer, modem, mouse mouth, nose, eyes, ears, rectum

screen size 9 inch diagonal ???

• Reply 37 of 42
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

I'm kinda dissapointed that Apple didn't do anything with there web site.

Another thing. I haven't heard hardly anyone talking about the Cube for the anniversity surprise. All this talk about PowerMacs, and G5 iMacs kinda pushed the cube to the back burner.

yeah, not even a cool image. I am a bit pissed off about that. GAH!
  • Reply 38 of 42
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The original Mac didn't have ADB. It had serial ports for the printer, modem, and mouse, a floppy drive port, and a special keyboard port on the front.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    I thought for sure Apple would do a little something for the 20th anniversary on the front page at Apple.Com (doesn't have to be a Tuesday for that kind of site update).

I was thinking a little mini flash movie with all 'Macintoshes' from '84 to '04 nicely morphing into one another with a clever Apple tagline at the end. Nothing too much, just a little recognition of the anniversary while showing the evolution and over-all progress of the Macintosh.

Then again, they can do it any day this week, really. If they don't do anything at all, it would look very cold, corporate, and very bottom-line - everything the 'Mac' platform always tried to avoid (at least to its fan base). We shall see...
  • Reply 40 of 42
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

The original Mac didn't have ADB. It had serial ports for the printer, modem, and mouse, a floppy drive port, and a special keyboard port on the front.

Hehe, the original keyboard port just used RJ-11 -- the same thing your phone uses.