connect PC with firewire??

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I want to connect my old PC (Sony Vaio, PCD-F707, Win 98 ) with my Powerbook Ti per firewire. I have a 4- to 6 cable, cause I ownn a Sony Cam. Is it possible to swap files over firewire? Is there a feature for PC like Apple-T?? How can I do that? I also have a ethernet cable, maybe I can use that to? I just wanna get my wav files into my powerbook. And the Vaio (PC) has no CD-W-Driver...

help appreciated

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    I believe you need Win XP (or 2000?) for firewire networking. You can use an ethernet cable to connect the two (don't think it needs to be crossover as the mac is autoconfiguring) and then set them up to be on the same network, i.e.:

on the Mac:

ip address = 10.1.1.10

subnet = 255.255.255.0

on the pc:

ip address = 10.1.1.11

subnet = 255.255.255.0

Then if you start up something like the ftp server on the mac (system prefs, sharing), you can connect to it on the PC by going to 10.1.1.10 in an ftp program, and send your files over.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I remember a beta of FireWire networking on Apple's site a year or two ago, and I assumed it would be final in Panther. What happened?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    its in panther
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Firewire networking is in Panther and it works great. I found a few little problems. I set up TCP/IP over firewire on both computers and now I just plug & go. That is with two macs using Appletalk, but I assume you could start windows file sharing and use a PC. I told each computer to remember the password of the other and mount the drive so now when you plug one computer directly into the other they automatically show the other drive. This COULD NOT get any easier. It should be on by default because it is Apple-easy!8)
  • Reply 5 of 9
    What do you mean it's in Panther? Do you just plug two computers together with a FireWire and turn on Sharing/ Windows Sharing? Didn't see any mention of FireWire in prefs so I thought it wasn't there.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    It is hidden but if you go to System Preferences->Network->Show: Network Port Configurations->New..->Port: Built in firewire. Name the port and turn on DHCP. Do something similar for the PC and give it a try.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to Genius Bar...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    ovidovid Posts: 3member
    Thank you all.

I tried it with ethernet and it worked.

With Firewire the PC couldnt even load...

and crashed after you connected it.

PC sucks..
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Hmm thanks Ebby. That is kind of hidden.