Create your own GarageBand loops here...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple provides a free utility for Soundtrack that can also be used for GarageBand loops called Soundtrack Loop Utility. It seems to do the same sort of thing ReCycle does for Reason. I just found out about it and haven't really done anything with it, but you can download it and try for yourself.

Quote:

What Is Soundtrack Loop Utility?

Soundtrack Loop Utility is a companion application to Soundtrack that you can use to view and manage tags in audio files. You can add and change tags using Soundtrack Loop Utility; you can also tag multiple files, a process known as batch tagging .

Soundtrack Loop Utility can read both AIFF and WAV file formats. When you save changes you make to either type of file, the file is saved as an AIFF file, the default file format for Soundtrack. The set of tags you can manage using Soundtrack Loop Utility includes all of the tags in WAV files tagged for use with Sonic Foundry?s ACID, as well as additional tags. Tagged audio files can also contain information about transients.

Transients indicate where beats occur in the file, and Soundtrack uses transients to play back audio files at the highest level of quality. Soundtrack Loop Utility can detect transients present in an audio file, and you can use Soundtrack Loop Utility to add markers for additional transients and move them to new locations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Ta very much!!! That's a great find!!!

• Reply 2 of 6
    I thought GB loops were different than ST loops?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I thought GB loops were different than ST loops?

It's the Apple Loops format.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004...tgenaudio.html

Quote:

Future versions of Logic Pro will also include support for enhanced Apple Loops, the powerful open-standard file format for real-time matching of audio loops and sound effects. The Apple Loops format offers richer information than standard audio files, so users can quickly find a loop by instrument, genre or mood. Future versions of Logic Pro will be able to import MIDI performance and channel strip configuration data contained in the new software instrument form of Apple Loops. These special files can be used either as audio loops or software instrument MIDI loops, providing unprecedented flexibility for loop-based composition. With Apple Loops support, future versions of Logic Pro will easily import projects from GarageBand?, Apple?s recently announced, new music application that turns the Mac® into a complete recording studio allowing users to play, record and create amazing music using a remarkably simple interface.

There's a thread on this at OSXAudio.com
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I've tried it and it works great. I first drag/dropped an aiff loop into GB and it didn't time stretch. I opened it up in Soundtrack Utility and saved that loop. I retried the loop in GarageBand and it did timestretch. Now I just need to batch convert the rest of the loops.

Edit: The entire process of batch converting 212 loops took less than a minute. I like it.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Yeah I've been playing with that for a few days. You can even set up snippets from songs and then fiddle with them, change their tempo, etc.

Does anyone know where you can download loops? I've heard about Acid loops, but I've never used that app. Apparently there are tons of Acid loops out there that can be converted with this utility.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Does anyone know where you can download loops? I've heard about Acid loops, but I've never used that app. Apparently there are tons of Acid loops out there that can be converted with this utility.

I did a quick search on Google for Free Acid Loops and the first hit has 50 free loops: DOWNLOAD