Saddam's WMD hidden in Syria, says Dr Kay

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Click

It's like I've always suspected. But what is interesting is that both Bush and Blair are siting on this information, and have been doing so for a long time.

If Iraq allowed these WoMD to proliferate into a neighboring country, what's not to say that an even more ominous posibility, the proliferation of these weapons into the hands of various Islamic outfits around the globe hasn't happened. Again, I suspect this has already occurred. And it's only a matter of time before these weapons are used.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Syria says it's just the Jews ooops I mean Israel making these claims. So they must be false. After all the Jews ooops I mean Israel are dirty liars.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    As posted in the other thread:

The reason we make a big deal about the statements made by powell and kay regarding apparently lack of Iraqi WMD is because the 'Attack Iraq' cult clings to whatever they say without regard to substance, detail and context.

Kay's statements have always and will always be worthless (it exceptionally easy to demonstrate important omissions in the ISG interim progress preport), except to throw your own idols back at you.

In this case, while what he says may be true, there is no detail provided, so we have no idea at this point what would have been shipped across. As he noted, we aren't talking about tanker trucks full of VX (which would be physcially impossible), we are talking about possible "components," whatever that means.

Certain policy makers in our government also would like to take this war to syria. How convenient that a CIA operative says that "components" seem to have been shipped over there.

I have no doubt that there could be some validity to his statement, but this is just another example of you latching onto statements without interest in the full detailed story, just like how you didn't know where the Iraq/WTC93 story originated and, therefore, didn't even know the details of the theory before buying into it.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    It's an abstract, amplified, artificial, bouncing, caricatural, distorted, embellished, embroidered, exalted, excessive, extravagant, fabricated, fabulous, false, fantastic, farfetched, hammy, highly colored, hyperbolic, impossible, inflated, magnified, melodramatic, overblown, overdone, overestimated, overkill, overstated, overwrought, preposterous, pretentious, schmaltzy, sensational, spectacular, steep, strained, stylized, tall, too much, too-too, unrealistic headline that hardly matches up with what the Telegraph quoted Dr. Kay as saying.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I guess we don't know what Kay has heard from his sources in Iraq. But he says he has interviews with Iraqis that say it's the case. So although we don't see these thing you can't say he has no basis for making the claim.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Thank God! Now that "they'll find those WMDs in Iraq eventually, mark my words" has run its course, we can start on "they'll find those WMDs in Syria eventually, mark my words".

This way, we can have a whole new round of breathless reports of unsubstaniated "intelligence" "proving" that the hawks were right all along.

After all, it worked out so well the first time...
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Pretty interesting timing, too, huh? I'm sure the release of this info has nothing to do with the political implications of his previous statements.

I also wonder if any of those components were CCHF, which, contrary to the fact that it is a common disease in Iraq and there is no evidence anyone in the world has weaponized it, kay considers it a "bw-applicable agent." I suppose according to kay's defintion the planter's wart virus is a weapon.

Or maybe the components were "dual-use."

It would also be interesting to know if any of those interviews were arranged by the INC people.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Oh my dear Lord no-- Weapons of Mass Planter's Warts? When will the world awaken to the WMPW threat? When it's already too late?
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

It's an abstract, amplified, artificial, bouncing, caricatural, distorted, embellished, embroidered, exalted, excessive, extravagant, fabricated, fabulous, false, fantastic, farfetched, hammy, highly colored, hyperbolic, impossible, inflated, magnified, melodramatic, overblown, overdone, overestimated, overkill, overstated, overwrought, preposterous, pretentious, schmaltzy, sensational, spectacular, steep, strained, stylized, tall, too much, too-too, unrealistic headline that hardly matches up with what the Telegraph quoted Dr. Kay as saying.

Really?

Quote: "But we know from some of the interrogations of former Iraqi officials that a lot of material went to Syria before the war, including some components of Saddam's WMD programme. Precisely what went to Syria, and what has happened to it, is a major issue that needs to be resolved."
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Looks like Blue Shift (or is it...?) needs an english lesson.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

Looks like Blue Shift (or is it...?) needs an english lesson.

Have you read the bulliten at the top of AO lately? Either you don't know what it says or you are blatantly disregarding it.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Again, the headline of the article is vastly overstated. It explicitly states that Saddam's weapons of mass destruction are in Syria, when the claim Dr. Kay makes is that some components of Saddam's wmd program may have gone to Syria. If that's not an overstatement, then I'm the President of the United States.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blue Shift

Really?

Quote: "But we know from some of the interrogations of former Iraqi officials that a lot of material went to Syria before the war, including some components of Saddam's WMD programme. Precisely what went to Syria, and what has happened to it, is a major issue that needs to be resolved."

And hasn't it been proven that many interviewed Iraqi's have been less than credible and over-zealous in providing false information to the US about Saddam's weapons in order to overthrow him? Niger?
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Northgate

And hasn't it been proven that many interviewed Iraqi's have been less than credible and over-zealous in providing false information to the US about Saddam's weapons in order to overthrow him? Niger?

Not many. One. Ahmed Chalabi.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    I ate a lot of food this morning, including some crushed red pepper. According to Blue Shift, I must have only eaten crushed red pepper.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:

Not many. One. Ahmed Chalabi.

Actually:

Quote:

The Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) said defectors introduced to US intelligence agents by the organization [the INC] invented or exaggerated their claims to have personal knowledge of the regime and its alleged weapons of mass destruction. The US paid more than $1m for such information...

"The [INC's] intelligence isn't reliable at all," Vincent Cannistraro, a former senior CIA official and counter-terrorism expert, said before the war. "Much of it is propaganda. Much of it is telling the Defense Department what they want to hear. And much of it is used to support Chalabi's own presidential ambitions. They make no distinction between intelligence and propaganda, using alleged informants and defectors who say what Chalabi wants them to say, [creating] cooked information that goes right into presidential and vice-presidential speeches."

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0930-06.htm

And of course:

Selective Intelligence:

http://www.truthout.org/docs_03/052803H.shtml
  • Reply 16 of 32
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    One more obnoxious post, and this thread gets locked. Stop posting with gigantic text. Stop making absurd remarks designed to bait others. Stop being so sarcastic. Stop being so condescending. Stop doing all the usual shit that you guys do to get threads locked.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:

I ate a lot of food this morning, including some crushed red pepper. According to Blue Shift, I must have only eaten crushed red pepper.

How so?
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

One more obnoxious post, and this thread gets locked. Stop posting with gigantic text. Stop making absurd remarks designed to bait others. Stop being so sarcastic. Stop being so condescending. Stop doing all the usual shit that you guys do to get threads locked.

Why lock a thread because a particular member is misbehaving? Why not lock that particular member from participating?
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:

Actually:

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0930-06.htm

And of course:

Selective Intelligence:

http://www.truthout.org/docs_03/052803H.shtml

Like I said. Ahmed Chalabi. (INC = Iraq National Congress = Chalabi)
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

Like I said. Ahmed Chalabi. (INC. Iraq National Congress)

INC=many people. INC defectors=many people, not one. In fact, INC=all HUMINT that pointed toward Iraqi WMD.