How credible is MacRumors?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I read them quite a bit and they seem to be very conservative about predicting future products, but I havent noticed anything outrageous or totally false about their comments. How credible is www.macrumors.com? What is their track record like?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    well i think theyre just as good as any, and i think they do more of a rumor roundup than their own. maybe not. you know tough, you cant put too much empasis on any of the rumor sites, so it doesnt really matter how reliable or credible they are, cause they oculd always be wrong.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Is MacRumors the reason everyone is in breathless anticipation of tomorrow?
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Is MacRumors the reason everyone is in breathless anticipation of tomorrow?

OF... breathless anticipation of tomorrow?

And the Next Day

And the Day after that

And the Day after that day after that...

And so on!

They keep teasing you to keep you coming back! They got a great ad exchange service bringing in all sorts of revenue so just keep on visiting. Because TOMORROW will be the "Real" Tomorrow when everything will be released!!

• Reply 4 of 22
    I think Macrumors is quite fair in their presentation of rumors. I think their own sources, that are very reliable and show up on their front page, tend to only pipe up very shortly before a release. Good quality advanced rumors tend to come form Think Secret, which MacRumors will give you a heads up on-as well as any others around. They are a good clearinghouse for rumors and they give a good breakdown of the winners and losers.

Appleturns delves into rumors about once a blue moon, but you can bank on them when they do. There just a good read for the fun of it.

Alas, The Gay Blade seems to have disappeared down an endless burrow, as MacEditions seems to have gone MIA. I always liked his wrighting-I'm from SF so I didn't get offended.

And then there is MOSR....
  • Reply 5 of 22
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Macrumors got the release of the 12" and 17" Powerbooks when no one else did.

They are very reliable.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Oh sh^t, I thought you said MacOSRumors....

good thing I type slow.

• Reply 7 of 22
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    whatever, I think that they are very entertaining, and obviously bring a huge amount of discussion.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    ThinkSecret is the only site you can trust
  • Reply 9 of 22
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    I read MOSR for the entertainment. Makes me think that more people here go there then care to admit. I will gladly say that I check them out at least once a day It makes for some great reading...
  • Reply 10 of 22
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    13 minutes to 5:00PM on Tuesday, January 27th, 2004.

No new hardware, no Anniversary notice worthy of ... um... noticing.

Back to Apple Outsider....

Aries 1B
  • Reply 11 of 22
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

ThinkSecret is the only site you can trust

And anything that says "CONFIRMED!" on these boards.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    The only one I find reliable is Think Secret.

As far as when "it" is going to happen... I don't want to start you all off again, but, could the 20th anniversary be... the 20th Superbowl after 1984?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    going to General Discussion...
  • Reply 14 of 22
    joekjoek Posts: 93member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

I read them quite a bit and they seem to be very conservative about predicting future products, but I havent noticed anything outrageous or totally false about their comments. How credible is www.macrumors.com? What is their track record like?

as mentioned by others...

when macrumors does have an "original" rumor... it's usually pretty accurate.

but yeah... mostly it tracks the most interesting rumors... and is pretty level headed overall.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by tfworld

It makes for some great reading...

...for all the things you know just can't be true.

• Reply 16 of 22
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    please note that macrumors is, first and foremost, a "rumors news" site. you can't say that they are "right" or "wrong," because they rarely offer rumors of their own. only summaries of other rumor sites' postings, compiled with what they have heard with their ear to the ground. then they give honest ratings to that news, based on the success rate of those rumors sites in the past.

macrumors is the site i check FIRST, to say the least, but as far as accurate dirt in the field, thinksecret has had the best and most consistently reliable rumors for at least the past year. of course, all it's going to take is for them to be really wrong ONCE to blow all that credibility (see: spymac, iWalk)
  • Reply 17 of 22
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    they kept predicting new ipods "next tuesday".

from last january till may.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    joekjoek Posts: 93member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

they kept predicting new ipods "next tuesday".

from last january till may.

everyone was saying it. macrumors reports other site's rumors too

from the February archive

http://www.macrumors.com/site.php?mo=2&yr=2003

Page 2

MacWhispers

MacOSRumors

LoopRumors

ThinkSecret

Kodawarisan

MacRumors
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Think Secret does not report rumors as much as the rest. They basically wait till the last minute to put stuff up. What is the point of a rumor if it only shows up 12 hours before the announcement.

I like MacRumors the most because they give you rumors more ahead of time but they do not post the stupid rumors too often. Not to mention they always put links to the Think Secret rumors on Mac Rumors so there is no reason to go to Think Secret for rumors at all.

In my experience, As The Apple Turns actually gets product details and release dates right on most of the time but you have to sift through a lot of meaningless drivel to get to it.

Mac sites I go to every day: MacRumors, MacMinute, MacNN, and Inside Mac Games. I check out Apple Turns, Spy Mac, Think Secret, Apple Insider, and Power Page out a few times a week.

That is just my meaningless perspective on all things Apple Rumor.