Still missing OS X Apps

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
... salvaging from locked thread (thanks Brad):
  • Outlook (or full Exchange feature support [rules, delegation etc.] for Entourage X)

• Visio

• MS Project

• Softimage XSI

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

Visio

I think OmniGraffle Pro is supposed to be able to read Visio XML formatted documents. I wonder though what will be with Stencils, are the graphical shapes embedded in the document?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    if you say SoftImage XSI I will say 3DMax
  • Reply 3 of 16
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    3D Max and SoftImage both suck, 3D Max more. They're all getting pretty sucky actually, collapsing under their own weight in maximum flexibility, features and legacy code.

I think we can safely assume the Microsoft apps will never show up on this platform, and if something vaguely resembling them does, it will be crippleware. Seriously, if you want Project, Visio (yuck!) or Outlook, you either need a Windows PC or another intrepid and resourceful developer to crash the party.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Soundforce or FruityLoops, but now we have Soundtrack !

No, we got about all we need these days. What we need most is server-side stuff, like Macromedia's. They're all Windows for now. It would enforce the Mac as an authoring environment when we got their server apps as well.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    I don't care about 3ds since discreet is already working on a whole 3D application in its labs. 3ds is the biggest POS in the entire industry. I hate that program so much that I vomit every time I have had to deal with a 3ds file from a client.

XSI however is a strong application that has to be on the Mac. Whether some people like it or not, XSI is starting to get adopted heavily by effects houses. They are starting to transition from Softimage 3D to XSI, and some are even switching from Maya to XSI and vice versa. If we want people to take our platform seriously we need applications like XSI and Maya Unlimited, as well as the hardware cards they demand. That is the simple fact about it. No effects house that uses Softimage can even think about buying G5s right now because we have no support for their pipeline. That is the reality of the industry. No matter how great the G5 is, these companies won't switch from XSI to Maya because of hardware. It just isn't gonna happen.

I personally just can't wait until Maya Unlimited. I think that will make me a happy camper. i also want to finally see nVidias and ATIs high-end cards on the mac.

I gotta think about what PC apps would be great to have on the Mac...right now I am pretty content, except the whole Maya thing.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I would love to see Calendar Creator ported to Mac OS X.

PC Link:

http://www.broderbund.com/Product.asp?OID=4151865

As a whole, I would also like to start seeing some more choices.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    DeLorme Topo and StreetAtlas..garrrr

Soundapp

Unreal Tournament!!!!
  • Reply 8 of 16
    What about Adobe Encore and Premiere Pro?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Don't forget to add FrameMaker to the AWOL Adobe list.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    ResEdit. Yes, there are other resource fork editors for Mac OS X, but I just can't get used to them and I keep wanting ResEdit. Meh, as long as I can run it in Classic mode (which I can), I'm fine.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Visio this: OmniGraffle 3

• Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by cowerd

Don't forget to add FrameMaker to the AWOL Adobe list.

ATM Deluxe
  • Reply 13 of 16
    "FruityLoops"

reason beats the crap out of that, FruityLoops is just a kids toy
  • Reply 14 of 16
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Nisus Writer (Okay, there is Express but Express really doesn't have anything to do with "Classic").

Garmin MapSource
  • Reply 15 of 16
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    AppleWorks. And I mean a true cocoa version. Can't use the current version as it doesn't support my native Icelandic
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

ATM Deluxe

There is FontAgent Pro 2 now - much better than ATM!!!