DVDBackup

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Do people think it will it ever be updated again? It doesn't work with Oscar or Finding Nemo. Also there is a new app that uses the UNIX dvdbackup called Hades but it kind of is rough around the edges. I'd like to see DVDBackup updated so it works with the newest movies.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Have you tried first playing the movie in the DVD player? I was watching the screensavers and Leo was saying that if you open the movie in the DVD player first, it gets the decryption key and then DVDBackup will work. It was news to me as I've never done that before using the program, but maybe it'll work.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I discovered that by accident. I was using 3 computers to rip 3 DVD's (Futurama season 1 that we own) and it only worked on one computer. I thought there were problems with the disks so I played them using the DVD player, confirmed that they were OK, and re-ripped them. They all worked the second time. The only DVD's that didn't work for me were dirty and had to be cleaned before ripping.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Finding Nemo had problems with everyone's app, IIRC. there was a specific file or two that wouldn't rip. using just the movie instead of the movie and menus would work though.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    <Sarcasm>Arrggh! Thanks a bunch alcimedes. You know I'll have to buy Finding Nemo now just to see if you are right. Of course you planned this all along... </Sarcasm>

Good movie anyways. Don't mind seeing it again. 8)
  • Reply 5 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I definitely thought everyone did this before they ripped. I thought it was not only common knowledge but *THE* way to do it.

Hell I have feel stupid now that I've been doing it and you don't have to!

Edit:

According to DVDBackup 1.5's Read Me:

Quote:

\t?\tYOU MUST RUN APPLE'S DVD PLAYER ONCE AFTER INSERTING A DVD. \tThis is to "authenticate" the DVD and allow the files to be copied. Usually DVD \tplayer will run automatically when you insert a disc. Stop or quit DVD Player \tbefore running DVDBackup.

That is from the important notes section...am I the only one that reads read me's?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Read me´s
  • Reply 7 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yup I know it authenticates with DVD Player. Just in case, I opened every single special feature. And no alcimedes just copying title 1 wouldn't work. A new ripper called "Hades" actually WAS able to rip it interestingly enough.

Is DVDBackup 1.5 a typo?

edit: linkage is good. Hades http://homepage.mac.com/wiseweasel/hades032.sit
  • Reply 8 of 10
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    oh, i'm sure people were able to do it one way or another, but for example if you were to go to the DVD2one forums, and look around for finding Nemo, you'll see a few good sized threads. this DVD was problematic for people's backups.

a 100% sure fire solution was to exclude a few features, IIRC, and that worked across the board, although i'm sure some others found ways around this.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Is DVDBackup 1.5 a typo?

Yes, 1.3 I mean.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Thanks alcimedes.