Xserver for (really) small business?...guidance needed

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    moliumoliu Posts: 42member
    To filter spam, I recommend SpamAssassin. I use it myself, and I have to say it does a pretty good job at it. It's almost perfect. Rarely does spam come through unmarked. Make sure you check it out. I'm pretty sure it runs on a Mac as well!

<a href="http://www.spamassassin.org">;www.spamassassin.org</a>
  • Reply 22 of 31
    I'd recommend spam assassin as well, we also use that here to filter and it works reasonably well.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    I would recommend running your web and email in house. I used to run my web and email server on an old beige G3 running OS 8! Easy to set up. If you are running OSX Server, it will be a breeze. If you are worried about spammers, don't. With some simple steps you can stop them using your box, and unless you are hosting other peoples sites, the chances of them hacking you are very slim (there are a number of php scripts to hijack mail servers). When dealing with incoming spam, I use both MailScanner and SpamAssassin on my Unix server. This not only filters out 99% of spam, but MailScanner also has plugins to allow virus scanning of incoming and outgoing email. Clam AV is free, and IMO rocks. Saved a lot of my customers a lot of bother with worms et al.

Re: Hardware, I would pick up an old G4 XServe. There is nothing worse then a hardware failure. While I am sure a Tower will be nearly as reliable, I am willing to pay not to be woken up at 4.30 am becasue something has failed.

Good luck,

Matt
  • Reply 24 of 31
    cogcog Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matt FT

Re: Hardware, I would pick up an old G4 XServe. There is nothing worse then a hardware failure. While I am sure a Tower will be nearly as reliable, I am willing to pay not to be woken up at 4.30 am becasue something has failed.

Good luck,

Matt

Matt:

Excellent, timely advice. I just had a local Mac networking company in and they told me the same things you outlined, a couple of your points verbatim!

Cog
  • Reply 25 of 31
    My pleasure!
  • Reply 26 of 31
    UPDATE:

After much study of your postings, gnashing of teeth and contemplative drinking, I think we are going to go with a G4 Xserve (maybe refurb). The licensing costs and hardware access were the main reasons. The refurb units (esp. from smalldog.com) seem very cost effective.

As always, I bow at the throne of the mac gurus here. Thanks for your help on the hardware side. I welcome any further comments about software. Looks like we will host the web and mail side.

Cog
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Cog:

Go to an Apple store, they do not sell them there and there is somebody always that specializes in small business. Tell him your plans and they can do the order in store with you.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacAficionado

Cog:

Go to an Apple store, they do not sell them there and there is somebody always that specializes in small business. Tell him your plans and they can do the order in store with you.

MacAficionado;

Thanks for the feedback but...my local Atlanta Apple Store was painfully unequipped to answer my question and as noted above, the apple.com/business/giveusyourinfoandwewillcallyouback.html did not work either. Hence my numerous postings on AI addressing my questions.

Apple Store's response was "well, we are really targeted at the retail consumer" so the implication was call a local consultant...which I did and they were helpful...but not quite the service I have come to expect. I will, however, try once again based on your feedback...and I love to just go in there and poke around!

Cheers.

Cog
  • Reply 29 of 31
    eds66eds66 Posts: 119member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scavanger

I assume that I'll get flamed but I don't care. I set up small business networks for a living. For this kind of task I would either use a Custom Linux install, or Windows. Since you will be working with more Windows boxes then Macs, it would make it much easier. Windows server setup's are reasonably easy, and if for some reason you can do it, you really shouldn't be in charge of something like this.

Right now, I got an old Gateway 500mhz P3 running Windows Adv. Server serving about 450 systems with DHCP, DNS, WINS, AD, LDAP, and File and Print services for a Private High School.

This is gonna get me flamed but in my view if the majority of your desktops are Windows, run a Windows Server, and User a hardware fire wall. As long as you keep stuff updated and maintained you won't really have downtime. Half the stuff you hear when windows boxes crash is becuase of poor network administration.

Alternatively the best solution is Linux, but again if your primarily having windows clients, run windows. It'll be easier on you. And the hardware is cheaper.

I agree with you. I do essentially the same thing for a living, and would recommend Win2K or 2003 server (standard Edition) for a small business. With Panther, authentication, hitting file and print shares, etc is not much of an issue.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    I also role out network kit but seldom use Windows as viruses just put too much risk in the equation (cost and time as well). I prefer Sun or Debian (depending on size/cost) and now I'm pushing XServes. My customers have been hit too many time with some dumbass opening an e-mail with some with some W32.ELKern derivative and trashing server based apps or files.

Dobby.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    I'd go with a single processor xserve over a g5 because of two reasons;

1. X Server included as mentioned by others.

2. Bootable raid - you don't get that on a G5, basically you would be protecting the boot volume.