Darwine! WINE for Mac OS X is coming

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

That means no Altivec, right?

Programming in Altivec in nicer than most machine languages due to the nice set of C macros provided, but regular Bochs almost certainly has no Altivec code.
  • Reply 22 of 90
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Bochs is crap. I wish Orangemicro would make PC cards again.

Haha...P4's and G5's in the same box == bad idea
  • Reply 23 of 90
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    If this thing works does that mean all those windows viruses are going to run on my machine
  • Reply 24 of 90
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Would someone please give me a clue what this is about?
  • Reply 25 of 90
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Would someone please give me a clue what this is about?

Essentially, it's the same as Classic.app, except it gives you a Windows environment instead of a Mac OS 9 environment. Basically. More or Less. Kinda sorta.
  • Reply 26 of 90
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    how about MAC OS X ON INTEL

just sayin...

but if WINE on MAC works, it would be a nail in a coffin, a powerbook will be my next buy,

bye bye windoze
  • Reply 27 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

Essentially, it's the same as Classic.app, except it gives you a Windows environment instead of a Mac OS 9 environment. Basically. More or Less. Kinda sorta.

Nope Classic was not an emulator. Think of this as another version of VPC...
  • Reply 28 of 90
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SilentEchoes

Nope Classic was not an emulator. Think of this as another version of VPC...

Except WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator. WINE translates windows instructions into the equivelent Linux instructions. So although it's not like Classic (which actually boots inside a virtual machine), it's closer to Classic than VPC.
  • Reply 29 of 90
    Well, VPC runs windows though, cutting out the running of windows seems like a pretty big deal.

or is it not really.:consufed:
  • Reply 30 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Except WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator. WINE translates windows instructions into the equivelent Linux instructions. So although it's not like Classic (which actually boots inside a virtual machine), it's closer to Classic than VPC.

Right.. it would be if they did not have to emulate the x86 code. Which is what BOCHs is for.. WINE may not be an emu but BOCHs is.. Like I said its closer to VPC than classic.

WINE itself may be like classic but this whole DarWINE setup is not.
  • Reply 31 of 90
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I think the idea is that it would act like classic... not necessarily have the same jargon attached.

Of course, there would need to be emulation, but if MS Windows wasn't needed, then it would be like Classic - there's no Classic Finder in OS X.
  • Reply 32 of 90
    Err Yeah it will be rootless but the apps are still emulated.. Regardless of what WINE stands for...
  • Reply 33 of 90
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Wow, talk about misinformation and confusion... \

Try this on for size:

Windows apps

------------

WINE

------------

BOCHS

------------

Darwin

WINE converts the Windows apps (in x86 code) into comparable Linux calls (in x86 code). BOCHS then takes that x86 code and converts it to PowerPC code, which is actually executed.

So WINE is *STILL* 'Not an Emulator'. It doesn't emulate squat. BOCHS does that. Two separate jobs, two separate tools.
  • Reply 34 of 90
    I never said WINE did emulate apps. I said this package, darwine, will..
  • Reply 35 of 90
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Which was causing confusion that wasn't being addressed to completion. People were confused by what did what where.

Darwine = WINE + BOCHS.

WINE does not emulate. BOCHS does. Darwine will have to by definition, and will do so through BOCHS.
  • Reply 36 of 90
    Thanks. Thats what I have been saying all along.

Quote:

WINE itself may be like classic but this whole DarWINE setup is not.

• Reply 37 of 90
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Thanks. Thats what I have been saying all along.

Well, classic emulates 68k, but no one goes on about that.

Without looking at the code for darwine, I will make the following leap:

WINE translates windows api calls to linux api calls. This can still be done natively. WINE still uses x11 to do its windowing. So some amount of darwine will run natively.

However, to determine what calls are being made, the code needs to be executed by bochs. I think you'll find that bochs will be jumping between native and x86 code all over the place as it encounters windows api calls that are handled by WINE.

WINE, however can quite happily make use of windows dlls to carry out some of its magic, so Im not sure how much ends being converted to linux api calls.

The indication that this is how it works is that darwine is _SOURCE_ compatible now. You can compile windows programs on the mac and have them work - they are running in the x11 enviroment. One aim of darwine is to eventually map those calls to aqua instead.
  • Reply 38 of 90
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    OT: Im using VNC on my iMac, and win2VNC on my PC to controll my PC and Mac seemlessy from one keyboard and mouse. Its just like having a dual head ( except for drag and drop ). VNC even supports cut and paste between them. Sooooo sweet.
  • Reply 39 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

OT: Im using VNC on my iMac, and win2VNC on my PC to controll my PC and Mac seemlessy from one keyboard and mouse. Its just like having a dual head ( except for drag and drop ). VNC even supports cut and paste between them. Sooooo sweet.

Come on dude... try and stay on topic... this ain't a VNC thread.. its about Darwine Stay on topic damnit
  • Reply 40 of 90
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Err Yeah it will be rootless but the apps are still emulated.. Regardless of what WINE stands for...

At this point in time, there is no emulation involved in Darwine. All it does right now is translate instructions from Windows API calls to Linux API calls.

And EVEN IF they manage to shim BOCHS into WINE, it's still very, VERY unlike VirtualPC. The individual instructions may be converted to PowerPC like in VPC, but whereas VirtualPC is a virtual machine WINE is a translation engine.

Barto