countdown to new g5's...

Comments

• Reply 141 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

think about it, if its not htis week, it'll be the next. i know this sounds crazy, but apple is way overdue for a release of SOMETHING. getting a 1.6 would not only be a waste of tons of money, but performance too. we all know that the dual 2GHz already stomps the single 1.6, so why buy a 1.6 when you could spend that same money on a dual 2GHz after a new release? i dunno, its your money, but i've seen the 1.6 in action, and i tihnk you'd be a lot better off jsut waiting for updates, cause they cant be too far off.

Understood - I do lean towards a DP even if it's a 1.8 DP
  • Reply 142 of 410
    woah.... so wait. i'm a student (full-time) at a university. i can pay 99 bucks, then get like a $400 or whatever off my g5. it seems too easy, cause i could get tons of money off. there was something in there that said you had to purchase all system components at the same time (so you wouldnt get the usual student discount for some things), but whats the difference bettween purchasing on 2 orders versus "realizing" you need something else after you made that first purchase? his seems like an awesome loophole for students.
  • Reply 143 of 410
    you need to go here and read the details:

http://developer.apple.com/students/

But my understanding is you must buy it all at the same time and yes - you can save alot. You must prove your _current_ student status - takes a few days.

I figure to buy the DP 1.8 (or whatever) it's base price is 1999. I'm getting the combo/9600 for $1850
  • Reply 144 of 410
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

... apple is way overdue for a release of SOMETHING...

That's what we thought last year regarding the 15" Powerbook, remember? And it took TEN MONTHS.\
  • Reply 145 of 410
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

That's what we thought last year regarding the 15" Powerbook, remember? And it took TEN MONTHS.\

well lets be a little optimistic
  • Reply 146 of 410
    The croquer site in France had an interesting note, sadly a machine translation:

"Yesterday, a telephone call at APPLE has foutu by ground their planning of advertisements. They were in the incapacity to obtain the stock necessary of GDR 400 and to a lesser extent of GDR 333 to launch the new products. They are hung with the telephone to find stocks. But Chinese New Year's day complicates all, Tawain does not answer. The new products are delayed until resolution of the problem."

There was also a note about the 1.6 for the 17" iMac and the 2.0 for the 20".

Looks like the near future, but I sitting here with my credit card ready going nuts!
  • Reply 147 of 410
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I know our Asia/Pac branch office is closed through the end of this week due to the holidays. I doubt they'll find anyone to talk to before next week. Still, here's hoping that tomorrow holds more than 1/2 foot of snow!
  • Reply 148 of 410
    discodisco Posts: 83member
    FWIW, Railhead Design has this to say:

News From Apple Tomorrow

Tomorrow promises to be a ?big? day for Apple, so get your credit card balances down and your paychecks deposited?
  • Reply 149 of 410
    with all the hype, i better continue the countdown at 1!!!!!
  • Reply 150 of 410
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by disco

FWIW, Railhead Design has this to say:

News From Apple Tomorrow

Tomorrow promises to be a ?big? day for Apple, so get your credit card balances down and your paychecks deposited?

Who the heck is railhead and why are people even considering his quote to be real?
  • Reply 151 of 410
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    he has posted predictions, but they tend to only be the day before.

but he hangs around rumour sites like the rest of us...
  • Reply 152 of 410
    I'm banking on Tomorrow !!!
  • Reply 153 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

rumour

hehe i love things splet with a u like that...its so cute or whatever
  • Reply 154 of 410
    The anticipation is half the fun!
  • Reply 155 of 410
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    it's gonna be funny tonight to see which "rumor" sites chime in at the last min....
  • Reply 156 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr_Holistic

I'm banking on Tomorrow !!!

fine... but if i stay up till 3AM EST to find out that nuthing is new then ill b pissed and well... i also might have all my work done by then too but oh well.
  • Reply 157 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by whoami

it's gonna be funny tonight to see which "rumor" sites chime in at the last min....

Geez, I do that too...going back and forth from Thinksecret, to Appleturns, to MacRumors, and Macminute...all while filling in the other time back here at good ol' AI.

I'm such a freak.
  • Reply 158 of 410
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

... They were in the incapacity to obtain the stock necessary of GDR 400 and to a lesser extent of GDR 333 to launch the new products....

What's this GDR? Is this a translation of DDR (via East Germany), meaning RAM? RAM is plentiful. Take $200 off the price and let us buy our own! 8)
  • Reply 159 of 410
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Maybe the person meant QDR (Quad Data Rate)? If the 3GHz chips are running on a 1.5GHz buss it's going to take some top-flight RAM to keep the monster fed.
  • Reply 160 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Maybe the person meant QDR (Quad Data Rate)? If the 3GHz chips are running on a 1.5GHz buss it's going to take some top-flight RAM to keep the monster fed.

yeah what you said