KVM Switchs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm picking up a new Dual G5 to add to the Dual G4. Well it's time to add a KVM switch. The monitor is a VGA setup, ( I still prefer the CRT for Photoshop )

So I was looking at several of Dr. Bott's products, ( and other makes ) well it seems to me I could go the easy way with a USB / VGA either the 2 or 4 way switch, in this case I would need a additional DVI to VGA converter. I could go with a USB / DVI switch which would allow me to someday switch to a DVI supported LCD screen / or entertainment center ( dreaming of that big plasma screen ) or the other option would to stick with the ADC connector and have a ADC to VGA converter ( this choice is the most expensive way, and it limits usage to a two computer setup. But it would allow for an easy transition to the apple LCDs if ever disired.

The reason for the dual box set up, is one can used for scanning film, ( takes a long time for high rez stuff ) the other box can be utilizing Photoshop to work on other images.

Additional Box is also needed on the PC side of things, (darn software) thats where the third input would be helpful.

Anyone have any preferences, or used any of these switches. A purchase is only a checkbook away.

edit for Dixlxic fingers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac_ken_Cheez

A purchase is only a checkbook away.

I have been interested in a KVM switch myself for a while, and I have recently purchased a PC which I have added to my Dual G5 setup, which has instigated a more in-depth interest (not necessarily a more in-depth search time-wise though).

The one thing that has always put me off to the whole KVM idea is the mind-bogglingly exorbitant prices KVM switches seem to command (hundreds of dollars.) I just did a bit more searching though, and just found this USB/VGA KVM switch, which I am orderingr:

CompuCable KVM switch

We'll see how it goes...
  • Reply 2 of 21
    All Belkin products are 50% off until 1/30/04. Use code 35491

DealMac Link with code
  • Reply 3 of 21
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I have a Belkin F1DS104U.

Switches Audio/Video/Keyboard/Mouse - works great except for the fact that it doesn't play nice with the way that I play Unreal Tournament (arrow keys are not repeated, so when I push the up arrow to move forward, I only move one step. Not compatible with my leet skilz).

Otherwise it rocks, but for now it sits in a box.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:

arrow keys are not repeated

Thats no fun.

Listen, Thanks for the tipsters
  • Reply 5 of 21
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Why are these things so expensive? I was thinking about building a cheap PC for gaming and using one of these to switch back and forth between that and my mac. I'd have to get the DVI one... but this really cuts into my cheap PC idea. \
  • Reply 6 of 21
    What kinda monitor you using DVI, VGA, ADC (connector)

If your using a CRT monitor with VGA input, then all is that you need is an adapter, DVI to VGA 15 - 20 bucks ea. they would go from the DVI output on the video card to the switch and on to the monitor,

The above links look like good ones to me.

If you are using a monitor with DVI input them well the DVI option would make sense.

The ADC KVM switches start to raise the price a bit, but if one has a 23" Apple monitor, what other way to go.

If you have a couple of monitors and the room to house them, and an almighty comfy chair with CASTERS on it. Then theirs really no need for a switch. The problem starts when you have several systems doing different things at the same time.

Who knows the casters aren't a bad way to get things done.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

Why are these things so expensive? I was thinking about building a cheap PC for gaming and using one of these to switch back and forth between that and my mac. I'd have to get the DVI one... but this really cuts into my cheap PC idea. \

Yeah all you need is a DVI<->VGA adaptor and that $25 VGA/USB KVM switch I linked above and you are saving some serious money. I think those adaptors are under $20 aren't they?

That switch isn't pretty, but neither is the DIY PC I just built either
  • Reply 8 of 21
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    My LCD display and Radeon have both DVI and VGA, but isn't DVI better than VGA? I don't really want to downgrade if it is.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I have a Belkin 4-port USB KVM at work... and it sucks. Not only does it suck, but several others we bought at the same time have the same problems, and the only available firmware updates simply replace one problem with another.

At first the F7 key (and a few others keys -- F7 was the one that bother me the most, because it's the shortcut for "compile") wouldn't work. I was able to fix that problem with a firmware download from Belkin's web site. Great, huh? The only available firmware upgrade, however, that fixes the F7 problem causes another problem with the Control key (and other modifier keys too sometimes).

With the "upgrade", half the time the Control key doesn't register when you push it, and if you're lucky and do get it to work, but you're trying to hold the Control key down while selecting multiple icons (or some other multi-select operation), it's as if the Control key "times out", and all of a sudden you click an icon, lose all of your previously selected icons, and have just a single selection.

(For those who aren't forced to work with Windows on a regular basis, holding down the Control key for multiple selections works like holding down the Command key.)

I've made phone and e-mail complaints, as have others at my workplace, but the last time I check a couple of weeks ago (and I've been waiting around six months now), no new firmware updates were available.

For now, monitor switching is the only function I'm getting out of the switch. I still have to keep two keyboards around because the way the KVM screws up proper keyboard functioning is way too annoying.

It would have been better if Belkin had simply settled for making a "dumb" switch that did nothing other than re-routed keyboard, mouse, and video signals. But nooooo -- they had to try to add keyboard commands for controling the KVM with your keyboard... and in the process of intercepting the keyboard with their own software, they've made a mess of things.

In case you're wondering... yes, we've tried different keyboards and different brands of keyboards, to no avail.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

My LCD display and Radeon have both DVI and VGA, but isn't DVI better than VGA?

I'd stay the DVI rout, simple is good!
  • Reply 11 of 21
    The Dr. Bott is just a multipole, multi-throw rotary switch in a pretty box. That means when you turn the knob, this giant switch changes the wiring on the inside. You can buy this switch probably for $25 somewhere. The annoying part is soldering all of those wires to the VGA/USB connectors.

Still, I have a Dr. Bott and it works well between my iBook, G4 and Athlon setup.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I have a Belkin 4-port USB KVM at work... and it sucks. Not only does it suck, but several others we bought at the same time have the same problems, and the only available firmware updates simply replace one problem with another.

Were these problems associated with win boxes, and which kind of port for the keyboard are you using? Thanks
  • Reply 13 of 21
    So I received that $25 KVM switch in the mail on Friday and got a few minutes to hook everything up and test things out on Sat. Works like a champ. I can't imagine shelling out hundreds when this $25 switch works perfectly. Also, while I was in radio shack picking up another VGA cable, I saw a 2 comp KVM switch there for $10...
  • Reply 14 of 21
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

My LCD display and Radeon have both DVI and VGA, but isn't DVI better than VGA? I don't really want to downgrade if it is.

DVI = Digital Interface = No interference

VGA = Analog Interface = Lots of interference, ghosting, etc etc

Shoot my head if I have to use analog monitor again
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Thanks for the reply, and thats especially true when you looking at text all day. And when there is the option to stay in the DVI or digital path, to say on that path.

I have a question, does it make any difference if the KVM switch is DVI or a VGA. And here again is the set up. Two Mac with DVI / ADC monitor outputs and of course USB for the keyboard/mouse. The monitor itself is a very nice Mitsubishi Diamond Pro [S]CTR[/S] CRT. I have the necessary DVI to VGA converters.

Do you think it make any difference if the conversion was made before or after the switch. The price for switches that use USB are rather high, but they really don't seem to differ a whole lot between the DVI and VGA, especially if one moves into the 4 port/USB designs.

Any advice?

Be gentle, no self inflections allowed Heee Hee

-------

edit for Dixlxic fingers
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Uhhh...hate to be anal but there's no such thing as a "CTR."

"CRT" stands for Cathode Ray Tube and is the proper nomenclature for those big, heavy, crumby displays.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Were is that probe again....

Well, I guess the "posted 02-02-2004 12:11 AM " wasn't any help, I'm glad you could decipher the gibberish. Too many acronyms for my taste.

Anyway I still prefer those big, heavy, crumbly, glass, tubes, that shoot rays all over the place, not to mention a little radiation. I'll be lucky if I don't already glow in the dark.

Listen, Not here to debate the monitors, I sure there are threads for that as well. I'm a photoshop Junkie, and this is the tool of my trade. I'm sure I could adjust to a ultra cool 23in apple display, but thats not in the works just right now.

So back the the CRT being connected to a G4 and a G5. "Do you think it make any difference if the conversion was made before or after the switch. The price for switches that use USB are rather high, but they really don't seem to differ a whole lot between the DVI and VGA, especially if one moves into the 4 port/USB designs."

Any advice? Free probes with any posts.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    I can't imagine why there would be any difference if you are putting a adaptor before or after the KVM switch - I have my Mac with a DVI to VGA adaptor, and a PC with a straight VGA. I do graphics work on my Mac, and just started using that el-cheapo KVM switch (USB + VGA) and I notice no degradation in image quality on the Mac. Everything works great (including the hundreds of dollars I saved )

That is pure speculation and subjective opinion, but that's my $.02...
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Pie Man

Istarted using that el-cheapo KVM switch (USB + VGA) and I notice no degradation in image quality on the Mac. Everything works great (including the hundreds of dollars I saved )

That is pure speculation and subjective opinion, but that's my $.02...

Thanks for the Two cents, that wont cover the cost of the probe.

Just thought I put it out there before I parted with the cash.

But the part of the el cheapo, and a switch that has VGA and USB, is that a reality...

Thanks again, ken
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac_ken_Cheez

Thanks for the Two cents, that wont cover the cost of the probe.

Just thought I put it out there before I parted with the cash.

But the part of the el cheapo, and a switch that has VGA and USB, is that a reality...

Thanks again, ken

linky to linky