Sharing a .dmg. Good idea?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I work for a small company (= small budget) that publishes six monthly publications. We have a network consisting of a Grape iMac (Workstation), a B&W G3 (Workstation), a Graphite G4 (Workstation), and a Dual 1.42 G4 (Workstation/File Server). There is a shared folder on the Dual G4 called Work Files. Each workstation connects to the user (administrator) on the Dual G4, finds the Work Files folder and reads/writes files from/to it. When the next month comes along burn last months files CD and file 'em away, and remove them from the Work Files. The question, finally, would it good idea to create a read/write .dmg of the Work Files folders and the client computers just connect to the .dmg. What concerns should I have with data being lost? When a workstation writes to the expanded .dmg is the .dmg file itself updated instantly or is there a delay? Any other concerns? Thank for any advice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    are you asking instead of burning them to CDs? Or replace the shared Work Folder with a .dmg that people would load?

Either way, that is some signature you got there.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mounting a network volume for read and write of files on a central machine

versus

mounting a virtual image of the network volume which then requires packing, unpacking, mounting, verifying and the same read and write by multiple machines on the fly (logically with some greater delay than plain file sharing access)

sounds like unnecessary complexity and disk imaging overhead for little reward.

</struggles to find upside benefit in use of .dmg over current method >
  • Reply 3 of 7
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

mounting a network volume for read and write of files on a central machine

versus

mounting a virtual image of the network volume which then requires packing, unpacking, mounting, verifying and the same read and write by multiple machines on the fly (logically with some greater delay than plain file sharing access)

sounds like unnecessary complexity and disk imaging overhead for little reward.

</struggles to find upside benefit in use of .dmg over current method >

Since you put it that way. So I didn't think it through. Ideas always seem good until curiousburb gets a chance to analyze 'em The only upside is the ease of mounting the Volume in Connect to Server window and not having to sift through the rest of the hard drive to find the Work Files directory. Which would be just as easy to do by adding an alias to the Work Files directory to everyone Favorites.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    is there a way to share only a folder on your mac to users who don't have a local account on the machine?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

Since you put it that way. So I didn't think it through. Ideas always seem good until curiousburb gets a chance to analyze 'em

\

I'm all for the exhuberance of new ideas. Let thousands of flowers bloom, baby.

Outside the box thinking is good. Serendipity is good.

Half-thought-out ideas are going to get light shined on them sooner or later.

Some will wilt, some will retreat into the shadows, some will sparkle and grow.

As an idea junkie myself, I enjoy throwing some mental candlepower at the seeds, seeking reflections that may spawn tangential ideas, and trying to cultivate creative impulses.

Some days are green thumb, some black, but even a failed idea can teach.

"Imagination is intelligence with an erection" - Victor Hugo
  • Reply 6 of 7
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

is there a way to share only a folder on your mac to users who don't have a local account on the machine?

Try out SharePoints.

A decription from the website:

SharePoints is an application or a preference pane that makes it easy to add and delete share points like in the old Finder. In Mac OS X, by default, you are limited to sharing only what is in your public folder in your home directory. This program makes it easy to share any folder.

I've used it myself. It works and is pretty easy to use.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    SharePoints is a great solution. However, the one benefit of using disc images is that disc images can be encrypted. If your server is storing sensitive data, the disc image solution may be for you.