No word processor in new PB???

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi

I just got a new Powerbook G4 12-inch and noticed that aside from the trial version of MS Office, there is no word processor.

What the...?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    You have Appleworks and TextEdit.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

You have Appleworks and TextEdit.

I thought AppleWorks was only in the consumer models, iMac, eMac and iBook?
  • Reply 3 of 22
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by laughablebutanebob

Hi

I just got a new Powerbook G4 12-inch and noticed that aside from the trial version of MS Office, there is no word processor.

What the...?

You're right. It has to be the stupidest thing that they don't at least include Appleworks. It comes on the iBooks but not on a computer that costs several hundred $ more.

That said, TextEdit is pretty darned capable (I used it for the majority of my 100 page dissertation proposal). It can open Word .doc files. So you have some functionality out of the box. There are several other word processing programs that are good if you're not locked into Word. There are a few threads about them here.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

You're right. It has to be the stupidest thing that they don't at least include Appleworks. It comes on the iBooks but not on a computer that costs several hundred $ more.

That said, TextEdit is pretty darned capable (I used it for the majority of my 100 page dissertation proposal). It can open Word .doc files. So you have some functionality out of the box. There are several other word processing programs that are good if you're not locked into Word. There are a few threads about them here.

Textedit is great, but it can't do anything but text. I use it more than Word: it's stable, saves valid .docs, and has full Unicode support.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Textedit is great, but it can't do anything but text. I use it more than Word: it's stable, saves valid .docs, and has full Unicode support.

well, it can do basic image inclusion. And the way it can use the text system of Mac OS X is incredible, it can use all the extra glyphs and all that junk of the fonts is great.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    They should include AppleWorks on all machines. Apple paid to make it, why not include it. Especially since customers are paying more for PowerMac/Books.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

Because Appleworks is not a pro app and the Powerbook is considered a pro computer. AppleWorks has basically sucked for several years now and wouldn't look too good to a front line user who knew their way around a computer. They already use Office or have more esoteric tastes for productivity apps. Adding Office (or even AW) to all computers would end up with a price hike for something many don't want/need anyway. Letting the advanced level user choose what to load and when to pay for what when makes more sense all around.

Maybe that used to be true but now the powerbook is pretty darned affordable so you don't have to be a "pro" to justify getting one. It's a greater switcher machine, believe it or not, and not having a decent WP program on it doesn't look too good. Of course that there are no decent WP apps available right now sucks too. But that's another thread...
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Maybe that used to be true but now the powerbook is pretty darned affordable so you don't have to be a "pro" to justify getting one.

True, and Apple(Claris)Works hasn't always been so bad, yet it's never been included with the so called 'high end' machines. I'm sure Apple has it's reasons but it looks kinda dumb from plain business point of view.

Virtually every computer buyer needs a simple WP and it's a part of the budget for many companies. So not including it makes the Mac look more expensive than than necessary. I really can't see a 'high end' user buying this crappie AppleWorks anyway. I bet the money goes to Microsoft.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Follow this link: http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/cat/wordprocessing

There are plenty of links to keep you busy checking out different free and pay versions of WP software.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Follow this link: http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/cat/wordprocessing

There are plenty of links to keep you busy checking out different free and pay versions of WP software.

But that's not what this thread is about. Everybody knows there are plenty of options for us to choose from. That's not the point
  • Reply 12 of 22
    OS X comes with emacs, which some consider to be the best text editor bar none.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I have Office v.X, but EVERY TIME I feel like writing or jotting something down or whatever, what do I do? Do I launch Word?

Hell no. I always, always seem to go right to TextEdit.

I'm glad Office v.X was a gift, because I never use the thing

Gonna buy Keynote tomorrow with the $30 savings I get as a .Mac member, so that's one more reason I'll probably never launch PowerPoint either.

If Apple ever releases iSpread, my version of Office v.X will probably officially become the most unused copy of the suite to ever be installed on a Mac.

It's certainly nice to have Office, I guess, but mainly just for any files I might receive from others. Nothing that I'm creating, it seems.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    I share exactly the same sentiments as pscates.

The *only* times I fire up Microsoft Word are when someone manages to send me a Word file that has enough extras in it that TextEdit won't display it properly.

I use TextEdit for nearly all my word processing needs. Remember, folks, that TextEdit can read and write .DOC format to an extent.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    If Apple don't want to include Appleworks why not offer MS Office at a discount when you buy your new Mac? Possibly limit the deal to the Pro line to distinguish the lines between consumer and pro a bit more?
  • Reply 16 of 22
    You can pick up a student / educator version of Office for $149 (no proof of student / educator status required). I did when I picked up my new PowerBook last Fall.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

You can pick up a student / educator version of Office for $149 (no proof of student / educator status required). I did when I picked up my new PowerBook last Fall.

ms office at my university, with my edu discount, was $5 note that's not through the online store, its through the microsoft campus agreement that has software for $5.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Is the Student version upgradeable though? I can remember seeing something, not sure where, that said it wasn't. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also, I think some companies/individuals would want the 'normal' version, for reasons of honesty if nothing else.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    I am a college student so I didn't have any qualms at all about buying the $149 version. You get 3 licenses (complete with 3 serial numbers) so you don't have to worry about feeling guilty if you install it on multiple machines.

I have always felt that if you make money from the use of software (business use) you should buy the full commercial version. It's good business sense (keeps updates / improvements coming your way, etc.).

I believe you are correct about the lack of upgradeability, I remember reading something like that in the EULA.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

They should include AppleWorks on all machines. Apple paid to make it, why not include it. Especially since customers are paying more for PowerMac/Books.

I'm annoyed by this attitude Apple has that pro systems should come with less bundled software than cheaper consumer models. They've been doing this for a while, however, and I don't imagine this policy will be changing any time soon.