Alternatives to iTunes

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Might anyone recommend a worthy alternative to iTunes?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    SoundJam Pro
  • Reply 2 of 11
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    People like Audion...but my question is really WHY?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by laughablebutanebob

Might anyone recommend a worthy alternative to iTunes?

There are none. On any platform. You need to let go of your need to control every aspect of your directory structure and let iTunes do the work. This isn't windows and bad things won't happen if you trust your computer. It's a different mentality you need to have. Think the Mac way. Live it. Love it. Seriously.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Okay, while that sounds absolutely nutso, I have to admit that at the moment there are no real alternatives, esp. on the Mac platform. Audion is OK, but not better.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quicktime and a lot of patience. \
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Quicktime and a lot of patience. \

hahahahahahahaha
  • Reply 7 of 11
    what can possibly be better than itunes?!?!?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Is there any way to ctrl-click on a folder of mp3s and select something like "Play in iTunes?" Additionally, why is it that iTunes isn't recognizing some of my mp3 album folders?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by laughablebutanebob

Is there any way to ctrl-click on a folder of mp3s and select something like "Play in iTunes?" Additionally, why is it that iTunes isn't recognizing some of my mp3 album folders?

Because you haven't told us what you've tried, that's why. iTunes is Library based. Anything you play in iTunes is added to your library. Then you play them in there. Go to "File -> Add to Library" find your folder and click open. That's it. If you've got "keep my music organized" and "copy files to iTunes music folder", it'll do organization for you. When it does that, you can delete your originals.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I believe there are or were some other players, but they've pretty much been smoked by iTunes at this point. Audion is the biggest of the competitors.

Using iTunes on a Mac? Sounds like there might be a few things going on. Are you trying to drop or open the songs when you have the folder selected? I think you probably have to select the song files themselves to have them open in iTunes. If you want iTunes to be the

1. If you want a song to play in iTunes, select the song (not the folder, though you might want to search www.macupdate.com or www.versiontracker.com for a third party product), and control click on it. you should see the "Open With?" choice where you can choose iTunes, Quicktime, or any other application you want. This works when you select multiple files too, but you have to select the files, not the folder.

2. You can choose iTunes as the default player for all your mp3 files by selecting such a file, and choosing Get Info from the file menu or pressing apple-i. You should see an option for "Open With" there too, but in this dialog, you can choose the default application for that file type, and all your mp3 songs should open in iTunes by default.

3. You can copy those songs to iTunes without having to play them by dragging the songs (I don't recall if this works with whole folders, you might have to select all the songs in the folders) into the iTunes window. and dropping them onto your Library in the Source sidebar.

4. You can have iTunes manage your mp3 songs library automatically, of you can choose to manage it yourself. Go to iTunes' Preferences under its application menu. iTunes can find and consolidate your mp3 files under the Advanced menu too.

hope this helps.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    you have to make itunes work for you--tell it to organize your music folder for you, and change the prefs so that itunes copies all songs you play into the library automitcally. you can also go to "add to library" and select all your songs that way. dont give up on itunes yet.