$200 Creative MuVo2 = unaltered $500 Hitachi Microdrive (CF-II)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Don't mind if I do!

No idea if the iPod has an tampered-with microdrive, but the MuVo2 doesn't for now. They'll probably change the design at some point, because I don't think Hitachi's going to be selling the retail 4GB microdrives for $200 anytime soon. They're trying to get the older, slower 1GB ones for $180 at most shops.

MuVo2's are currently in stock at Creative.com

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Ahhhhh.

• Reply 2 of 14
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    So the microdrive is a CF card? Creative must be taking a LARGE hit on these things if that's the case.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

So the microdrive is a CF card? Creative must be taking a LARGE hit on these things if that's the case.

I really have no idea what the manufacturing costs of HDDs are, but I figure Hitachi must be selling them to Creative for at least $120. That is just a blind guess on my part.

The Muvo itself is a very cheap plastic piece of trash. I debated trying to keep it usable for about 2 seconds. Now it's sitting in my spare parts/scrap tray. For the extra $50, the iPod is so much more. Anodized aluminum vs 3mm thick plastic? Tough choice...
  • Reply 4 of 14
    The battery is a removable 3.6 Li-Ion brick with three contacts on one of the edges. I can't find its mAh rating, or any detailed specs on the Creative website. I wouldn't suggest trying it in an iPod even though it looks like it has similar dimensions. You'd need to attach the right connector to it too.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    I am trying to buy one RIGHT NOW!!
  • Reply 6 of 14
    HAHA!!!

back-ordered too!!

Suckers!!
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I checked the warranty here:

http://www.hgst.com/warranty/jsp/arma31.jsp

Quote:

Serial number: xxxxxxxx Part number: 13G1766

Our records indicate that your warranty is still valid and that you are eligible for a replacement.

This just keeps getting sweeter and sweeter. The S/N is the 8-digit number block under the barcode on the backside of the drive. It's a one-year warranty, but still better than a no-year warranty.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I checked the warranty here:

http://www.hgst.com/warranty/jsp/arma31.jsp

This just keeps getting sweeter and sweeter.

You could not be more correct sir. Thank you...
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Will there be any problems since the drive is factory formatted FAT32? When I re-format in my Canon 300D, will it change it? Will I only get2 or less gigs?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by thedustin

Will there be any problems since the drive is factory formatted FAT32? When I re-format in my Canon 300D, will it change it? Will I only get2 or less gigs?

Unfortunately that may be the case unless Canon releases a firmware update for your camera...
  • Reply 11 of 14
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I thought the 300D could write FAT 32 ???

Storage is only getting cheaper, seems like a bit of an oversight, though even with 6MP files, 2GB is going to be spacious.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

I thought the 300D could write FAT 32 ???

Storage is only getting cheaper, seems like a bit of an oversight, though even with 6MP files, 2GB is going to be spacious.

Actually, it looks like it does, so thedustin should be fine. It also looks like the Microdrive performs rather poorly in the Digital Rebel though.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6425
  • Reply 13 of 14
    FUC#! Too good to be true...