Virgina Tech to Replace Current G5s with Xserves

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    how much scratch can i get 1 of the PMs for and will they leave the fiber channel card in?
  • Reply 22 of 58
    Ok. Many

Quote:

"They All Laughed"

music by George Gershwin and lyrics by Ira Gershwin

They all laughed at Christopher Columbus

When he said the world was round

They all laughed when Edison recorded sound

They all laughed at Wilbur and his brother

When they said that man could fly

They told Marconi

Wireless was a phony

It's the same old cry

They laughed at me wanting you

Said I was reaching for the moon

But oh, you came through

Now they'll have to change their tune

They all said we never could be happy

They laughed at us and how!

But ho, ho, ho!

Who's got the last laugh now?

They all laughed at Rockefeller Center

Now they're fighting to get in

They all laughed at Whitney and his cotton gin

They all laughed at Fulton and his steamboat

Hershey and his chocolate bar

Ford and his Lizzie

Kept the laughers busy

That's how people are

They laughed at me wanting you

Said it would be, "Hello, Goodbye."

And oh, you came through

Now they're eating humble pie

They all said we'd never get together

Darling, let's take a bow

For ho, ho, ho!

Who's got the last laugh?

Hee, hee, hee!

Let's at the past laugh

Ha, ha, ha!

Who's got the last laugh now?"

• Reply 23 of 58
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Virginia Tech != Virginia - I'm sure some people both at VT and UVA are offended by the carelessness of the original poster. I know I would be offended if you said "North Carolina" in reference to North Carolina State.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    Cheap 2x2 refurbs, cool.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    It seems odd to me that they would build it with PM desktops when you just know the rack mount would come out sooner or later. Seems as though they had a deal up front.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    They had to meet the deadline.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

I hope no one else already did this but it's been confirmed that virginal tech is upgrading to xserves: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...atech_apple_dc

hmmm i wonder what speed they'll get

• Reply 28 of 58
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Macminute reports that the Feds are getting interested: Argonne National Lab, the National Security Agency, and NASA.

Nice! One step closer to enterprise interest.

Screed
  • Reply 29 of 58
    no need for calling me stupid but why would someone want a supercomputer and what would they use them for?
  • Reply 30 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Macminute reports that the Feds are getting interested: Argonne National Lab, the National Security Agency, and NASA.

Nice! One step closer to enterprise interest.

Screed

Found the reprint of the article at EE Times, which would not be anything noteworthy were it not for yet another piece of analyst BS here in Enterprise Linux section of Newsfactor.

Is it me or are these stories mutually exclusive? Either the VaTech setup is useful in supercomputer circles and Apple are seen to be creating a viable platform alongside the value-add that VaTec have created, or the Forrester guy is correct.

Personally, I know which I think is true - although I hope Apple's incredulity to the original VaTech approach is not a sign of old personality flaws beginning to surface again.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Why to take over the world, of course!

no seriousley...what is it for?
  • Reply 32 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

no seriousley...what is it for?

Physics/dynamics systems modeling, nuclear simulations, genetic mappings and simulations, etc.

Finding really big prime numbers.

There are a *lot* of calculations for which your typical PC can't scratch the surface.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Physics/dynamics systems modeling, nuclear simulations, genetic mappings and simulations, etc.

Finding really big prime numbers.

There are a *lot* of calculations for which your typical PC can't scratch the surface.

oh i c thanks for the explanation
  • Reply 34 of 58
    I did some calculations and the present space occupied by the G5's minus the three support bars would yield space for a total of 2760 x-servers or 5520 processors.

This is several hundred more than the Japanese Earth Simulator, and faster processors as well.

What is really going on here is Steve Jobs ego, and I think he's going for it and VT knows this.

He got kicked out by morons, his ideas stolen by Gates, stupid Beatles lawsuit over a name, etc.

And if VT got a few hundred students to work for Pepsi and Pizza, you know they are haggling over this baby.

This could open the floodgates for Apple for quite some time, if it hasn't already.

Returning the supercomputer champion to USA?

SJ wouldn't miss it for the world.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Maybe I don't fully get all this Supercomputer business, but it all sounds like a ridiculous waste of time and money to me. Over and beyond it all, it seems to be just a bunch of geeks with way too much time and money on their hands. Where does the money come from? Do the benefits really outweigh the expense?
  • Reply 36 of 58
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Patchouli

Maybe I don't fully get all this Supercomputer business, but it all sounds like a ridiculous waste of time and money to me. Over and beyond it all, it seems to be just a bunch of geeks with way too much time and money on their hands. Where does the money come from? Do the benefits really outweigh the expense?

In VT's case, it was a recruiting tool. They wanted to prove to prospectives that their CS dept. is strong. And they succeeded, or so I imagine.

About the Earth Simulator and going for el numero uno, I think it would actually take more G5s, simply because the Earth Simulator is actually all one computer - it's not a cluster. So, it has less diminishing gains. But that's just a guess - I'm no computer scientist.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    I also believe they get grants.

High on supercomputer list = more grants.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

In VT's case, it was a recruiting tool. They wanted to prove to prospectives that their CS dept. is strong. And they succeeded, or so I imagine.

That can't be the driving reason. No CS department is going to spend millions to attract a bunch of high school students.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

That can't be the driving reason. No CS department is going to spend millions to attract a bunch of high school students.

ah, but these "high school students" become customers if the roose is successful. each one paying a few grand (i haven't looked at tech's tuition, but colleges these days can cost tens of thousands per year, maybe more). if the amount of new revenue from an increased amount of students doesn't cover the cost, then other factors may. with the influx, they grow an increased chance of getting brilliant students (ontop of those they already have). these brilliants invent the next best thing, and say "it's all thanks to tech, and that wonderous supercomputer which convinced me to school there." press hears about this and writes up stories. then even more students read these "stories" and say "hey, i'd like to throw va tech a hundred grand or so to allow me to school near this supercomputer." and thus, the circle grows into a spiral. and the spiral swirls all the way to the bank.
  • Reply 40 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

I also believe they get grants.

High on supercomputer list = more grants.

as i said b4 i don't know much about the supercomputers but i know thats not why