Best Web Site Building Software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am building my first website and I need the best package for a novice, but with room for growth. I will incorporate a blog and will put some photos, video, and audio clips. Should i go with GoLive or Dreamweaver? Or is that maybe overkill?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Adobe GoLive is nice. Although I have used Dreamweaver on PCs and found it to be a good application, I have heard bad things about the Mac version. They might be a little overkill if all you want to do is create and manage a simple website without getting too involved with HTML coding.

But since you say you are just starting out with web designing, I would recommend Freeway by...

http://www.softpress.com/

It works more like a desktop publishing program rather than a code editor. You design your website in the application the way you want it to appear and then the program will output your work into standard HTML pages.

I have found it to be very user friendly and more aimed at web designers who prefer a visual approach to designing websites instead of just working directly with HTML code.

They offer a trial version I think. Plus, you can download tutorials and manuals at their website to get a better understanding of how the software works.

Hope this helps,

Mike
  • Reply 2 of 8
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

Adobe GoLive is nice. Although I have used Dreamweaver on PCs and found it to be a good application, I have heard bad things about the Mac version. They might be a little overkill if all you want to do is create and manage a simple website without getting too involved with HTML coding.

But since you say you are just starting out with web designing, I would recommend Freeway by...

http://www.softpress.com/

Mike

Thanks, this looks like it might be exactly what I need. Are there any other programs that work this way or similar?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I 2nd that. Freeway (both Express and Pro version) is an outstanding program. Extremely easy to use, true WYSIWYG and the HTML code it generates is great too!. A very important thing is that Freeway has amazing support!!

I'm currently finishing my new site I made in Freeway Pro:

10464.net
  • Reply 4 of 8
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macanoid?

I 2nd that. Freeway (both Express and Pro version) is an outstanding program. Extremely easy to use, true WYSIWYG and the HTML code it generates is great too!. A very important thing is that Freeway has amazing support!!

I'm currently finishing my new site I made in Freeway Pro:

10464.net

Did you star with express? i.e. was there anything that you couldn't do in express that you HAD to upgrade in order to acheive?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I forget exactly what the differences are between the Express version and the Pro one, but that is covered in the user manual for the software. You can download them free here...

http://www.softpress.com/en/support/manuals

It is a very well written manual that covers all the basics and advanced features of the software. It also discusses what features are available in what version.

Mike
  • Reply 6 of 8
    vi

or emacs, if that suits you.

The best tools for someone who wants to learn are a simple text editor and http://www.w3schools.com.

(Since buckeye said "*first* webpage", I assume he plans a second)

Oh, and don't forget the friendly validator.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

Did you star with express? i.e. was there anything that you couldn't do in express that you HAD to upgrade in order to acheive?

I used the Pro version. Main difference is that the Pro version supports the FAST Packs (Freeway Advanced Site Tools). The images right at the bottom of my site for instance were changed using the Fast Graphics pack. The source material was full-colour, but the were changed to duo-tone grey within Freeway - no external photo-editor necessary. The original source material remains untouched.

Another nice thing about Freeway is that allows you to drop photo's straight from iPhoto into to Freeway

The thing I like best about Freeway is that it allows you to focus on design not on the code. This means that you can get great results straight out of the box, which is nice. Should you wish to learn about HTML, you can always do that later!

Please note, this is just one of the tools, (one I happen to like a lot, both as program and the company is great too), I'm not interested in starting a discussion about which program is the best - that depends very much on your needs.

Freeway can just just about everything Dreamweaver / GoLive can do, but it has two weaker point: Important a site made in another program doesn't always give the wanted results and working on a site with more people is not an easy option either. I believe though that in you case this is not relevant!

Want to know more, feel free to ask or check the various tutorials on the softpress site!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Golive CS supposedly is really, really complex and badly designed. I use Dreamweaver, and Fireworks is sweet for web graphics.