Apple's laptops...cheap looking

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    Dell's look like crap. I mean, come on, there's plastic and then there's cheap plastic and Dell uses cheap plastic. My old PB 3400 still looks better than many laptops on the market.

For PC laptops, I think IBM makes the best.
  • Reply 42 of 75
    Having been a PC'er for almost 20 yrs, I spent extensive time comparing PCs with Macs for laptop. In fact, I took a Sony notebook home for 24 hour test. Finally, I bought PB 15 Al because of the appearance, quality and features. The 24 hr test with the PC was very beneficial bk I was able to evaluate MS XP as well as other PC HW and SW. By the way, the CDRW did not work well and difficult to input and remove CD's.

The PB is great and have not found a PC which compares to it.

I also use my brother-in-law's notebook at times and the PB is superior especially on SW and OS.
  • Reply 43 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by switchfromdell

Having been a PC'er for almost 20 yrs, I spent extensive time comparing PCs with Macs for laptop. In fact, I took a Sony notebook home for 24 hour test. Finally, I bought PB 15 Al because of the appearance, quality and features. The 24 hr test with the PC was very beneficial bk I was able to evaluate MS XP as well as other PC HW and SW. By the way, the CDRW did not work well and difficult to input and remove CD's.

The PB is great and have not found a PC which compares to it.

I also use my brother-in-law's notebook at times and the PB is superior especially on SW and OS.

Now think... did you really need to use so many acronyms in this post?

• Reply 44 of 75
    ryaxnb says, "I disagree."

WoW. Thank you so much for your enlightened opinion.

k squared says, "Dell's look like crap. I mean, come on, there's plastic and then there's cheap plastic and Dell uses cheap plastic. My old PB 3400 still looks better than many laptops on the market."

The 3400 had NO equal in the PC world when it came out. Performance and looks wise. Granted. However, when you say it looks better than many laptops now, well, looks are a matter of taste. The 3400 looks clunky now.

Look what's happening to the Ti books, they don't appear to be holding up, finish wise. Am I wrong about that?
  • Reply 45 of 75
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    In my opinion, the Ti Book looks more professional. And I agree somewhat that the new powerbooks look sort of cheap when compared to the TiBooks.
  • Reply 46 of 75
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    murbot says, "Quote tags are your friends."

oops

Quote:

Quote tags are your friends.

• Reply 47 of 75
    I dunno, they still look snazzy, especially since almost all windows based laptops are made of plastic, yucky-easily-scratched-really-badly-designed-laptops
  • Reply 48 of 75
    best looking laptop pb (pizmo)

im on a 17 alu pb, and i kind of wish they had stayed with the titanium look.. (but thats just my 2 cents!)
  • Reply 49 of 75
    Yeah, I'll second the Lombard/Prismo as best looking PB. I'm using a Ti right now and I really do miss my Lombard.
  • Reply 50 of 75
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

Yeah, I'll second the Lombard/Prismo as best looking PB. I'm using a Ti right now and I really do miss my Lombard.

its not too bad
  • Reply 51 of 75
    i have a rev B 12". i love the keyboard, the size, the proportions of the whole thing. it really does just work right. feels so damn good.

i had to use my sisters dell desktop today to do some stuff for her, and that made me appreciate my little pb even more.

also, i got to play on a 15"ti and a 15"al back-to-back, and the ti just didnt feel modern. thats all i can really say on that. and after my 12", the 15 and 17 both feel ridiculously big, like theres all that space!! why all the space!! yeh i know, screen real estate... but they just feel pointlessly massive.

dont get me wrong, if someone offered me a 15 id happily take it off their hands. but only if i could keep my footlong...
  • Reply 52 of 75
    I love my Tibook, but the Pismo was Apple's sexiest Powerbook to date. Though I'm not suggesting a return to the clamshell, I find them vastly more interesting looking than Apple's current iBooks. The white iBooks, to me, look just as cheap and even more boring than a lot of their Windows-running counterparts. The thing about Apple's current Powerbooks is that they're thin and don't weigh much, but I must admit that the Al books are pretty boring in their design. The first time I saw a Tibook years ago, my reaction was, "That's it?" because everyone seemed to find them to be such a different/good looking machine and it just didn't give me the same reaction. Ah well. I keep hoping for a change in Apple's laptops instead of the boring stuff they've been putting out the past few years.
  • Reply 53 of 75
    I think the new G4 iBooks are the most beautiful looking laptops I have ever seen. I have one and the minimal design is just pure genius. It has that retro 60's Star Trek look, and it just works plain and simple. The build quality is very good, better than my girlfriends Powerbook G4. The PB's keyboard is flimsy, the hatch is bent and the Superdrive makes an awful whirring noise when playing a cd or watching a dvd. These may just be manufacturing defects on her PB, but design-wise, my iBook beats her PB easily 8)

But, you can't really argue with taste. I guess some people like the ugly designs found in most PC laptops, otherwise they probably wouldn't make them...

.jarkko
  • Reply 54 of 75
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by heifetz

I think the new G4 iBooks are the most beautiful looking laptops I have ever seen. I have one and the minimal design is just pure genius.

I like iBooks as well. The average laptop is ugly, (Al/Ti) Powerbooks are so neutral they have nothing to catch the eye, and the iBook is beautiful by itself.
  • Reply 55 of 75
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Hey now...

I just got a new 12" iBook G4/800MHz.... and I kinda like the way it looks... it has that sort of hospital clean look. Granted... the PowerBooks are pretty sweet looking also... but they're also a bit more expensive. I don't think there is anything that comes close (value wise) to the iBook in the PC world. I also think the iBook looks better than just about every other PC notebook I've seen.

This is my first Mac (after decades of countless PCs)- So stop knocking the little fella!

That Is All

:-)

just had to throw in my two cents
  • Reply 56 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

I'm sure Steve loses sleep over the headphone jack on the front of the Power Macs, it probably drives him crazy, but you'll notice that despite the clamor for them, there are still no USB or FireWire ports there.

In addition to sporting a full complement of ports on the back,

the front panel has FireWire 400 and USB 2.0 ports, as well as a headphone jack.

were you trying to be clever or have you been under a rock since the G5?
  • Reply 57 of 75
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member

'nuff said

images arent loading here so try this link

http://www.geocities.com/a_greer2003/img1.html
  • Reply 58 of 75
    My wife an I recently needed to purchase a Powerbook. We were trying to decide between the 12" and the 15" Alu. I had never seen them in person before, so I went to the closest store (about 90 miles away) to see them. Even though I paid a good bit extra (tax + full retail), I bought the 12" Powerbook on the spot. It is a GREAT looking laptop. However, I was VERY unimpressed with the 17". It just has too much space on the base and it is all the same color (aluminum). It just doesn't look good in my opinion. However, the 15" was decent. Overall, I really think the 12" has the best look; but the 15 is good. The 17" (like the original post said) just looks plain.
  • Reply 59 of 75
    i totallly agree. the 12" just feels right. the only sacrifice is screen size, but thats why god invented monitor spanning...
  • Reply 60 of 75
    Just as a quick reminder to those of you suffering from, "PC laptops all look cheap and plasticky...", take an open minded gander at these specimens:

http://www.velocitymicro.com/category.php?cid=3

http://www.hypersonic-pc.com/2001/systems-mobile.htm

Take note of the performance level (MoBo and advanced RAM) and features you get for X amount of $$. OK, OK, we're talking about looks. Can anyone here really say these laptops look like cheap plastic? Hel-lo...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, the iBook in my very humble opinion looks like a toy. I'm talking about holding one in person. It looks and feels kind of cheap. Again, no offense to iBook owners. This isn't an attack on them. Just my opinion.