New Powerbook question...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm ordering my new 12" Powerbook on Monday or Tuesday, and I couldn't find a definate answer to something. Does anyone know if the new 12" Powerbook's have the lightup keyboard or not? Not exactly a selling point for me, but sure would be cool. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Nope -- not an option on the footlongs.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    Damn you deliverer of bad news! JK, thanks for the info. Moderators, commence to closing.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Well I got my new 12" 1Ghz PB yesterday, and man do I love it. Very nice improvment over the 700mhz iBook I had last year. Now I have another delima...i'm not working enough, I want to play with my PB. =)
  • Reply 4 of 10
    rewesrewes Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cyko95

Now I have another delima...i'm not working enough, I want to play with my PB. =)

Same happened to mee too. I got my new 15"PB a week ago.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    but the keys are the same as the lighted keyboard keys, if you put a flashlight on the side, you can see the light goes through the keys... well.. at least you know your key's won't rub off.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    while we're talking about pbooks...

is the keyboard on the 12 inchers very stable, or does it have that "sinking" effect where the whole keyboard kinda gives in when you start to press a key?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

while we're talking about pbooks...

is the keyboard on the 12 inchers very stable, or does it have that "sinking" effect where the whole keyboard kinda gives in when you start to press a key?

It is very stable and built much better than my old iBook keyboard was. You can't see any "bending" at all, and you can really FEEL how much better it really is. Head to a retailer and try it out for yourself.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

It is very stable and built much better than my old iBook keyboard was. You can't see any "bending" at all, and you can really FEEL how much better it really is. Head to a retailer and try it out for yourself.

Probably the best trade off compared to the Ti's. Since users only upgrade RAM once or twice during their PB's lifespan it was a good decision the sacrifice the removable and thus flexible keyboard for the permanent, non flexible one, IMHO. I've had to resort to adding a few layers of electrical tape on the bottom of my keyboard to better stabilize it and reduce its flexing.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    My TiBook doesn't have the "sinking" problem at all -- has this been characteristic of them? (it's the last series before the AlBooks appeared)

I do notice it in the Pismos; my titanium seems exceptionally rigid (esp with magnets helping to support it). Guess I've become biased after using it for a year, though. Every other keyboard feels strange!

Have fun with the footlong! I hope I can make my beauty last a little longer....but if anything remotely exciting comes along within the next year, it would be hard to pass it up.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Yeah, especially with the strong possibility of G5 portables! But i'm real happy with my G4, and would hard pressed to find a reason to move up again.