VT Supercomputer G5s to be Replaced Due To Overheating?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I found this at a PC forum (www.sharkyforums.com) when taking a look at the 'other side' in the 'G5 mod shocker' controversy.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by NoOneinParticular

If the G5 is crap then why did Virginia Tech choose 1100 G5s to create the worlds third fastest supercomputer at only a mere fraction of the cost?

Well.. .the funny thing is.... those pc's are getting replaced ALREADY!!! Someone goofed BIG TIME when they put that system together.

The inside scoop is that the machines are over-heating and shutting themselves down. As a result, VT is swapping out all of the G5's and putting in the new xU based cases (forget the name of the model and the U size).

OOPS!

Does anyone think there is any truth in the belief that the VT Supercomputer is being rebuilt with Xserves because the consumer desktop G5s in it where causing too mush heat and were shutting themselves down? Or is this a spiteful PC-users rumour?

I couldn't find anything after a (brief) search.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    Umm... they are upgrading due to ECC and smaller size. They got the G5 towers due to them being out and the xServes not. Just think, they have an extra 200% room to grow the server!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    The original cluster set up was rushed to completion to get certification. There has been no overheating or anything like that according to articles I've read. Just a M$ spammer making something out of nothing. And it is certainly possible that a plan was in the works to replace t he PowerMacs with XServes all along.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    By the way if all the present space of the 1100 Dual G5's, plus the three horizontal support bars are replaced with Dual 2 ghz X-serve cluster nodes.

There would be a total of 2760 nodes for 5520 processors.

And it will be the world's biggest, beating the Earth Simulator.

Will it be faster? That's the question.

Will VT spend the money? Will Apple finance it?

• Reply 5 of 8
    Short answer: No

Won't happen. Too expensive. Why would a university need the fastest supercomputer in the world. It would be very cool, but it won't happen.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Short answer: No

Won't happen. Too expensive. Why would a university need the fastest supercomputer in the world. It would be very cool, but it won't happen.

Why do people speak when they don't know what they're talking about? (this and politics. )
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Well I look at it like this, this is the second coming of SJ, he's a superstar and motivated to getting a better computer out to the masses.

What better thing than to gain huge government support (and contracts) by bringing the supercomputer champion title back to the States?

I think he's going to do it and it was the plan all along.

Because right now if they just swap 1 PowerMac for 1 Cluster node, there's going to be 2/3 of the racks, cabling and all that expensive cooling equipment going to waste.

Why buy all that stuff and set it up, just to take it down a few month's later?

Impractical, not very scientific use of resources.