Invitation to AppleInsider for Folding@Home

Comments

• Reply 101 of 170
    I guess so! You were outfolding me (314159) earlier today. Am I going to have to buy a few more dualies to fend you off?

Come and get me! I dare you. Then there's NoahJ, Macaholic, and others you can address.

Your being in the top 100 soon is a no-brainer. Keep up the good work!

Transfer of the TEAM site appears to have gone very well. Everybody come visit.

A sincere thanks to all who were involved with this transfer.

Thanks also to all of the good folks who have joined the TEAM recently.

Our PC friends above us in the ranks will not be doing too much celebrating soon.
  • Reply 102 of 170
    I'm glad everyone ignored my post.

Thanks Sailfish.

It shows your ignorance to your problem.

One would say... lemme think of the word in english 'character flaw'?

I think thats it.

Sallfish, you get IM'ed or something when this thread is posted on? After every post its you!

Quote:

Who unlike the Knight's, have been talking considerable "$&#(%" about Mac people, been borging out PC's without peoples permission and quite frankly been a royal pain in arse.

I think that months of them coming to our board saying 'we gonna pass you' and then they did pass us was enough.

Really.

Your teams are pretty balanced. Its a competition.

MacRumors is here to show that a Mac Team can take a Top Spot in the Rankings and we can stay there with your support.

It doesn't work without you.

Thats why I urge you to join MacRumors, because its not that the other teams aren't as deserving or nobel, its because we have shown we CAN get a top spot and keep increasing.

--MrMacMan

MacRumors Team Folding.

See you there.
  • Reply 103 of 170
    alcimedes is really charging up the page 314159, it's got me to buy a cluster node and probably a 42U rack.

Shhh don't tell hogfish...

I managed to get one node, but the rack is going to give the game away.

(Maybe a smaller rack to start)

Then I got to file for a 501(c)(3) and start hitting up all my friends.

Everything in time.

-------------------------------------------------------

Of course anyone can get into the action and join Team Mac OS X #1971, many people from AI and other forums are pitching in to help defeat SPCR once and for all. (it's a PC team!)

All you have to do is follow the link to download either the graphical or console version with InCrease (will do it for you) for Dual processor machines; punch in your nick and 1971 for your team and let her rip!

Click here and we will get you started,

http://teammacosx.homeunix.com/

Ask here or in our updated forums (thanks u know who) if you have any questions.

Welcome to the Fold!

• Reply 104 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by MrMacMan

I'm glad everyone ignored my post.

So am I! Note also that everyone on TEAM 1971, and hopefully all of the guests on our site at the time, totally ignored the egregious spam that you put up in our Forums last night. I am as patient as they come but I am totally unamused at this stage.

Can you all stop this nonsense immediately? It is totally uncalled for and does not convey a proper perspective to those who might potentially join the project. The project needs them. I would like them on my TEAM, but I would rather have them join another team than not become involved at all!

For people reading this thread: Folding@Home is a scientifically sound endeavor. There are many "teams" involved. In 99% of the cases, the competition between teams is totally friendly. We help competitors with problems. Our forums, like most, are open to all. We, like others, support folders who are not even associated with a team.

Our main objective is to help with the science. Stats and team rankings are interesting and fun, but they are absolutely secondary in the minds of most folders.

Fold on!
  • Reply 105 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sailfish

Shhh don't tell hogfish... <snip>

Then I got to file for a 501(c)(3) and start hitting up all my friends.

Hogfish has had your number for years! Just don't get her talking to my wife. - - I am currently involved in serious negotiations.

Hmm, been reading Section 170 of the "Infernal" Revenue Code too? If applicable, we can possibly build a Virginia Tech type cluster...

What happened to the vacation?
  • Reply 106 of 170
    "Mother" is coming to join us, she's flying down out of the cold next week instead.

At least I get the watch "the game" in peace

Fold on!

PS. Remember what I PM'ed you?

Not here, hold off until I can PM you again.

• Reply 107 of 170
    For those looking to get into a good, friendly team community, striving to show the folding community in general that the Macintosh is a force to be reckoned with, feel free to join the #1 Mac folding team, MacRumors.

We are Numero Uno for a reason people! Team spirit and a love of the best computing platform around!

We are also trying to organize a team competition, so come on by the competition thread and voice your ideas and willingness to compete and/or volunteer your services.

MacRumors Competition Thread
  • Reply 108 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by twiztidn8v

For those looking to get into a good, friendly team community, striving to show the folding community in general that the Macintosh is a force to be reckoned with, feel free to join the #1 Mac folding team, MacRumors.

We are Numero Uno for a reason people! Team spirit and a love of the best computing platform around!

We are also trying to organize a team competition, so come on by the competition thread and voice your ideas and willingness to compete and/or volunteer your services.

MacRumors Competition Thread

Nice of you to stop by twiztidn8v, glad to see a friendly MacRumours team member for a change.

Sorry to break this to you but, AI and Team Mac OS X #1971 have teamed up together, even our boards are now fixed due to the help from our new friends here.

You can understand, Macrumours is a competitor to AI. We are site neutral and non-sponsored, we only Fold, we are not pushing a web site.

Thanks for stopping by and congratulations on your wins.
  • Reply 109 of 170
    GOOD NEWS!!!

Team SCPR is CRACKING!!! They have blow a headgasket and dripping oil! Time is running out for them!

Apparently they lost one of their top Folders, which is a blow to science, but "borging" machines is a big NO NO, it catches up eventually.

Speculation is that MyDoom had something to do with it, when a company get infected with a virus they REALLY crack down after that.

No anything "else" running, and that's what I suspect.

Aren't we so lucky to be on Mac's?

But we haven't beat them yet, and are gaining on them quite a bit in the last few days. So we still need your help to catch them before they sign up new recruits.!

Want to get in on the fun, like dozens from AI already have?

Single processor machines download the Folding@home graphical version, set it as a startup application in your accounts and let it rip.

Dual processor machines, download Increase and it will do it all for you automatically.

Got 56K dial up and want to maximize your output while working "offline" on dual processor machines?

Use Increase and run more than one "CPU"

On both the programs enter your nick and Team #1971 and you'll be part of the "Fold"

Join us in our new forums, THANKS AI Friends!!!

Click here and your off

http://teammacosx.homeunix.com/software.html

Folding@home facts: It uses your spare CPU to calculate protein folding, it does not interfere at all, it self scales down if you require more CPU.

Any questions ask here or in our forums, we will be glad to help.
  • Reply 110 of 170
    Well it looks like the end of Silent PC Review, the smackdown has occurred. We predict by morning they will watching our tails instead of us watching them. However it's still a very close race.

Congratulations to all who jumped into this effort, keep in mind that we still need people cranking those proteins as they are not far behind us.

It's possible they have called in reinforcements, so lets give them as wide as a point spread as possible.

We still need to maintain our present folding level and need more members to continue our conquest of AOA Forums (a PC over-clockers)

So get aboard visit our site and contribute to the elimination of disease!

And to keep "Mac OS X" in the eyes of the world.

• Reply 111 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by KA4EYT

So am I! Note also that everyone on TEAM 1971, and hopefully all of the guests on our site at the time, totally ignored the egregious spam that you put up in our Forums last night. I am as patient as they come but I am totally unamused at this stage.

Calling my posts are spam is just flamebait and hereforth I will not respond to such remarks.

Look, when someone starts yelling at you do you not respond? Do you ignore them?

I would hope not.

Quote:

Nice of you to stop by twiztidn8v, glad to see a friendly MacRumours team member for a change.

Sorry to break this to you but, AI and Team Mac OS X #1971 have teamed up together, even our boards are now fixed due to the help from our new friends here.

You can understand, Macrumours is a competitor to AI. We are site neutral and non-sponsored, we only Fold, we are not pushing a web site.

Thanks for stopping by and congratulations on your wins.

We aren't pushing a website, we are pushing a team.

I haven't see a Moderator or AI founder come out and say 'please join Mac Os X Team'.

If so I will thank AI for being a great new source for rumors as has MacRumors. MacRumors isn't always just because the site itself is very nice and news worthy its because also, as you mentioned people matter.

People who have dieases matter, and what we do here will some day create a cure for one is not many dieases. That is what I am goaling for.

Sailfish - You just posted 3 times back to back.

I think there is an edit button... also check your PM.

--MrMacMan

Team FAQ
  • Reply 112 of 170
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I just got my brother to join after 3 days of nagging. Add 1 SP 1.8Ghz G5 t the list. I also assimilated another computer. 8) Resistance is futile!
  • Reply 113 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I just got my brother to join after 3 days of nagging. Add 1 SP 1.8Ghz G5 t the list. I also assimilated another computer. 8) Resistance is futile!

Hehe.

Folding is great.

Keep up the Good Work! Folding isn't for a team, its for everyone.

Cancer, mad cow, they doesn't discriminate, we shouldn't either. \
  • Reply 114 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Great work Ebby! I saw you in the TEAM 1971 stats this morning. You have moved up 63 positions in the last 24 hours!

Will your brother be folding for TEAM MAC OSX also?

I enjoyed your choice of the word "assimilated". May use it myself in the future.

Come register in our new Forums if you have not had a chance. Here's the new link.

Let us know if you need any assistance. We all stand by to help.

John (314159)
  • Reply 115 of 170
    Quote:

Well it looks like the end of Silent PC Review, the smackdown has occurred.

Congratulations to all who jumped into this effort, keep in mind that we still need people cranking those proteins as they are not far behind us.

SPCR should fall today or tomorrow thanks to the support of all of our new friends. I extend my congratulations for a job well done also.

Do you know how to say the word "Conquest"? If not, you may want to learn. There are a ton of PC teams that we shall be contending with next.

I would like to publically acknowledge the Gentlemen Folders from SPCR. They posted in our Forums during the height of the battle. No spam - just taunting and teasing in the friendly nature of most of these battles - and battles they are! We all made a few new friends. SPCR and TEAM MAC OSX will both be heading up together in the stats. Fortunately, we shall be ahead of them.

Both teams recognize that our efforts are solely for the good of science and mankind.

If you are reading this and have not yet joined the cause, please consider doing so. It is, as they say, very addictive, interesting, and fun once you become involved. Please post any questions that you have either here or in our TEAM Forums. You can pm me here if you prefer. We will give you a quick response.

Fold on!
  • Reply 116 of 170
    It ain't over yet, SPCR has been some TOUGH competition, I don't foresee them disappearing in our dust at all.

We still haven't got in front of them yet, just closing in on them. but that can all change very rapidly.

So keep folding hard team, they may be playing "possum" so we still need more folders to get involved. to insure this victory holds.

If you are reading this for the first time, we are in HEATED competition with a PC based Folding@home team called Silent PC Review.

Many new friends here at AI have pitched in to help Team Mac OS X #1971 overcome this PC team in the stats.

If you want to get involved in the fun (and the slaughtering) all you have to do is download the Folding@home graphical program, enter a nick and #1971 for the team number.

If you have a Dual processor machine, consider using our free program called Increase first, it will utilize both processors, more than doubling your output and automatically set everything up for you.

Every work unit that gets finished, gets points toward your score and your team score.

You can read more about how we and thousands of other Mac folks are helping Stanford University cure many diseases.

This link will set you up!

Please check in at our forums and check out our software page.

WELCOME TO THE TEAM!!

• Reply 117 of 170
    Sorry Brad, my bad on the outside post.

Just trying to take the load off our guys, the competition is a little hot right now.

Won't happen again.

Meanwhile I'll go put my scolded butt in some cold water.

Thanks for having us here. Also.
  • Reply 118 of 170
    Yep in a few days (around Feb 4th) if you play your cards right you will be able to pass them.

Good luck.

Folding FAQ

--MrMacMan
  • Reply 119 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by MrMacMan

Yep in a few days (around Feb 4th) if you play your cards right you will be able to pass them.

Good luck.

Folding FAQ

--MrMacMan

Well thank you Mr.MacMan, it's been a tough battle, we should be passing them this morning or by lunch, only 625 points to go.

But they have called reinforcements, they are not going down lightly.

So we will see, happy folding.

• Reply 120 of 170
    Yeah they moved up a little apparently in the last few hours... as for 1 PM EST... you are 961.90 point back.

But even so MacRumors would like your help

--MrMacMan