Pixar iPods

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Well, with Disney out of the way, how bout some Pixar iPods? Feature some characters from Finding Nemo, etc... and create a whole collection. these would be great gifts for kids (only the mini's would be practical), and those kids would be brought up with apple products, and would give Apple a strong "fan base" (if you will) to build from. they could even come pre-installed with the soundtrack from the featured movie. i cant wait to get my hands on a blue mini with crush

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    filfil Posts: 16member
    I believe Disney owns all the rights to the characters.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Yup, Disney owns rights to all 7 films, which includes the upcoming "The Incredibles" and "Cars". Pixar loses all rights to exploit them and Disney does indeed retain rights to all the characters. Disney will no doubt eventually do a Toy Story 3. And, of course, they won't have to pay Pixar a cent for the new films based on those characters. In the end, Disney will have a whole bunch of marketable characters. Pixar will, in essence, have to start over developing new ones starting in 2007. As the Wall Street Journal said today, "Disney will not be in that bad shape and will eventually actually do better without Pixar". So there, S.J.!!!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

eventually do a Toy Story 3.

Hehe. I bought Toy Story 3 in Thailand 4 years ago. Although when I tried to play it, it was something else Toy Story-ish. 8)
  • Reply 4 of 12
    so pixar handed over all the 3d files?!?!? why would steve give that up to disney? also, i understand that the ocntract was only for 5 films. really toy story and nemo are the only ones that matter, but i also think that those stories are finished. anything more will just be crap (unless pixar makes it). i hate disney i hate disney i hate disney.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Disney will have co-distribution for the additional films I mentioned. They will not get Pixars files, just the rights to the characters and their looks. If Disney hadn't financed and distributed the films, Pixar wouldn't have been as successful as they have become. And don't for a minute think that eventually they'll have some films that are not blockbusters. It happens all the time. Save your hate for something more important.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Disney will have co-distribution for the additional films I mentioned. They will not get Pixars files, just the rights to the characters and their looks. If Disney hadn't financed and distributed the films, Pixar wouldn't have been as successful as they have become. And don't for a minute think that eventually they'll have some films that are not blockbusters. It happens all the time. Save your hate for something more important.

for the record, it's not REAL hate, just frustration with companies *cough cough* that take advantage of others' work (aka Microsoft, and now disney).
  • Reply 7 of 12
    It's pretty standard practice in a lot of creative fields. It's the same deal with cartoonists. They do all the work and the syndicate distributes it to newspapers, in return the syndicate gets a hefty chunk of the revenue and permamnent ownership of characters and stuff. Very few in the creative field get avoid this yoke. Bill Watterson (Calvin and Hobbes) fought with his syndicate for years over control of the strip. In fact UPS was close to firing him and continuing the strip without him.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    No one took advantage of anyone... Steve knew what he was doing, and so did Disney. Stop trying to blame people for taking advantage. Business is business. Just like when Apple bought the GUI and mouse from Xerox, its all business.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

As the Wall Street Journal said today, "Disney will not be in that bad shape and will eventually actually do better without Pixar". So there, S.J.!!!

The Wall Street Journal article did NOT say that. I read the article (and just re-read it to be sure.) The overall jist of the article was that this move could have mixed blessings for BOTH Pixar AND Disney, though perhaps MORE for Disney than Pixar.

ALSO, Pixar has the right to co-finance sequels to the movies developed under this contract.

It should also be noted that very little, creatively, has come from Disney in the past several years OTHER THAN that which has come from Pixar.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Uhm..excuse me... Brother Bear?

What they really need to do is realize people LOVED those Disney Musicals like the Lion King and Beauty and the Beast. Those were great. Why did they stop and make Lilo and Stitch? gah!
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

If Disney hadn't financed and distributed the films, Pixar wouldn't have been as successful as they have become.

This statement couldn't have been more wrong. For the first Toy Story movie, Pixar was supposed to get something like 10% revenue. After the movie did so well, Jobs told Disney that their taking 50% or they'll find another distributor. Well, they got their 50%. As well, Disney can only continue a sequel if Pixar decides not to. Disney is making a Toy Story 3 only because Pixar passed it up. I'm not certain where character rights stand.

Disney is now dead in the water without Pixar, their entire animation units are in complete shambles ... to the point were Roy Disney resigned from the board. Good luck to them, their gonna need it.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Disney will no doubt eventually do a Toy Story 3.

It's allready in progress.