ways to give the ipod a longer battery life

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
i know the simple things-don't use an equalizer, keep the volume lower than half, don't use the backlight, but i'm wondering what some other ways of conserving ipod battery power are

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    The battery will only last a fixed number of charges, so don't recharge it unless you need to (this is why PowerBooks won't charge when at 95%+ battery capacity, as you'd be wasting a recharge cycle).
  • Reply 2 of 14
    theres been a lot of debate about all this. some say you can put your ipod in your dock or whatever anytime you want, and that the battery "doesnt care" what the level's at when charged. others say run it all the way down. my research has lead me to believe that you can pretty much charge whenever you want, otherwise the introduciton of the docking station would be a waste.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    DO NOT leave your iPod in your freezing car during winter. It'll suck the battery life faster than you can scroll to your favorite song. iPod's battery no likey the coldy.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Lower quality/bit-rate songs require less HD access. Less spinning of HD platters translates into longer battery life. So... just rip everything at 96kbps.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    What about turning down the contrast? I like to keep mine up so everything is nice and black without the off parts of the screen getting dark haha.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I charge my iPod battery every night and rarely lat it drain 100%. I always plugged in my laptop every night and that battery lasted 4 years. I don't expect the iPod to last that long but I think discharging it completely is not very good for the battery. Strain is bad for a battery and I think most of the strain comes from charging (unavoidable) and when the cells are trying to supply as much power as they can when they are low.

If it is discharged, charge it ASAP.

(I have a headache today so I hope this makes sence)\
  • Reply 7 of 14
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    overall, we have no idea and everyone has their own opinion...i guess they last until they're done, and that's that. apple says they should never lose more than 20% of their original charge length
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Using playlists help too, since the iPod doesn't have to keep hitting the HD.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

DO NOT leave your iPod in your freezing car during winter. It'll suck the battery life faster than you can scroll to your favorite song. iPod's battery no likey the coldy.

i think that would just take the battery longer to start up, it actually saves the battery, it just takes forever for the cells to start moving again
  • Reply 10 of 14
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Use a lower bit rate, the smaller the song the more songs will fit in the memory buffer, reducing hard disk access.

For comparison - my mini disk player gets 8 hours of play doing normal ( 292 kb/s ) and well over 20 hours on long play ( 66 kb/s ). However, to get the full benefits of the buffer you need to just let the play list do its thing, and not advance tracks or anything like that ( it causes the ipod to spin up its disc to load the track you asked for ).
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

Use a lower bit rate, the smaller the song the more songs will fit in the memory buffer, reducing hard disk access.

For comparison - my mini disk player gets 8 hours of play doing normal ( 292 kb/s ) and well over 20 hours on long play ( 66 kb/s ). However, to get the full benefits of the buffer you need to just let the play list do its thing, and not advance tracks or anything like that ( it causes the ipod to spin up its disc to load the track you asked for ).

yeah but i gotta have that higher bit rate...
  • Reply 12 of 14
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Belkin has taken care of it for us.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Belkin has taken care of it for us.

i think i'll get the auto charger and the battery pack