TextEdit Slowness

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I love TextEdit, just a fun little app that is very handy, but lately I've noticed that it takes up to 12 seconds to open a simple .rtf containing ONLY my social security number or a phone number. The app starts in less then a second, but the first document I open always takes forever to open, after that other files open in a flash, any reason why?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I have not seen this.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Neither have I, but...

1) It's probably loading up the appropriate libraries for the first time, after that they're cached for fast access.

2) Just don't quit it.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Haha well I assumed it was something like that, but I mean word files open faster! Is there a way to fix this?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Don't quit it.

See, most apps only load the libraries they need when they need them. So the first time you load an RTF file, it goes and gets the code you need to do so.

Word, on the other hand, loads basically everything it thinks it *might* need - which means that the application launch time is slower, but the file opening of that first file is faster.

I prefer the first way - less resource hungry.

You may want to try running a prebinding on your drive, to re-establish any necessary dynamic library link caches.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Ok, Thanks for the help