what if...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
what if adobe would stop developing for mac os x soon?

are there any chances of apple developing software such as photoshop or indesign?

what if microsoft would stop developing for mac os x soon?

are there any chances of apple developing an own office-application?

while there have been several rumors of apples' office-software and keynote could be a first step into that direction, i personally think that adobe stopping mac-development is probably the thing which is more likely?!? so. what would apple do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Krassy

what if adobe would stop developing for mac os x soon?

are there any chances of apple developing software such as photoshop or indesign?

what if microsoft would stop developing for mac os x soon?

are there any chances of apple developing an own office-application?

while there have been several rumors of apples' office-software and keynote could be a first step into that direction, i personally think that adobe stopping mac-development is probably the thing which is more likely?!? so. what would apple do?

I imagine a serious effort by people to get the GIMP running with native aqua widgets might make sense...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    it's an endless loop. on one hand, apple would suffer if adobe pulled photoshop. on the other hand, adobe cant survive really without the enormous (as in, pretty much all mac users) mac market they enjoy. even if they pull future versions of their software, i think CS is sufficient enough to last us a LONG time (seriously, do you even use 75% of all he stuff in CS?). so i dont think adobe will pull any products, unless apple comes out with a photshop-level program.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

it's an endless loop. on one hand, apple would suffer if adobe pulled photoshop. on the other hand, adobe cant survive really without the enormous (as in, pretty much all mac users) mac market they enjoy. even if they pull future versions of their software, i think CS is sufficient enough to last us a LONG time (seriously, do you even use 75% of all he stuff in CS?). so i dont think adobe will pull any products, unless apple comes out with a photshop-level program.

yeah - and that's the point... apple goes with

garage band, logic express and logic pro

iMovie, final cut express and final cut pro

idvd, dvd studio pro

iphoto, ?

how difficult would it be for apple to develop a very very very good photoshop-level application? in case they need to do so....
  • Reply 4 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Adobe generates %70 of their revenue from the PC side(think Acrobat and other ePaper solutions) Adobe is rapidly moving away from needing Apple to survive. Should Apple be worried. Yes but they have to focus on bumping marketshare and keeping existing developers happy while bringing in new blood.

I think Apple needs to create an apple office suite. They cannot entertain the idea of offering a compelling business solution using microsoft tools that don't adequately utilize the benefits of the platform.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    It won't happen. Most large magazines, including PC World, are produced on the Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I think Apple needs to create an apple office suite. They cannot entertain the idea of offering a compelling business solution using microsoft tools that don't adequately utilize the benefits of the platform.

good thought. me too thinks that an apple-developed office suite will be much of a good thing™ to everyone. it'll show how simple it could be.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Well whatever, Office on Mac is still better than PC office. It is behind in features but as a whole is more quality and easier to use. It just needs more OS Xizing, for example a Word that can save 33 letter documents, and feature level parity, within reason, because lots of PC office is just marketing junk.