20 years new is no big deal?!?!?!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i think that this weekend there was a great day... the 24th y was there no mention of the big birthday or no new product??? is there some supprise in store? comments...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    see this thread for possibilities.

macrumors is also reporting that something may be on its way, but there are NO details as of yet.

i agree that if tuesday comes and goes with NOTHING, not even a one-day splash-page "think different -- happy birthday mac" graphic, i will seriously question where their heart is these days.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i agree that if tuesday comes and goes with NOTHING, not even a one-day splash-page "think different -- happy birthday mac" graphic, i will seriously question where their heart is these days.

I don't understand why Apple should do something special for this Tuesday (except quiet Power Mac speed bumps), when S. Jobs publicly stated they are planning products and events throughout this year. Smart move, I think, as it gives them time and comfort to do whatever they want when they want or are ready to do it, and celebrating as they like, without being forced to battle against deadlines.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I don't understand why Apple should do something special for this Tuesday (except quiet Power Mac speed bumps), when S. Jobs publicly stated they are planning products and events throughout this year. Smart move, I think, as it gives them time and comfort to do whatever they want when they want or are ready to do it, and celebrating as they like, without being forced to battle against deadlines.

because it is the 20th ****ing anniversary of the mac, that is why.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    There's already a big splash of press about the 20th anniversary. I don't think it's something Steve is particularly interested in. I remember at the introduction of the Xserve he wanted to pretend that Apple had never tried that market before, and he was pissed when an audience member reminded everyone listening that they had a less than stellar track record. I don't think Steve wants any more reminders of the bumps on the road behind him than he knows the press will offer anyway.

He's already said, essentially, that the celebration will be stretched out over the whole year in the form of strong product introduction. That's looking forward, which Apple is much more interested in doing.

I'm not actually surprised at all that the last few days came and went with no product announcements. I think product announcements are imminent, but they'll be ready when they're ready, and not before. Apple can summon the world press on a week's notice when the bun's out of the proverbial oven.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

There's already a big splash of press about the 20th anniversary. I don't think it's something Steve is particularly interested in. I remember at the introduction of the Xserve he wanted to pretend that Apple had never tried that market before, and he was pissed when an audience member reminded everyone listening that they had a less than stellar track record. I don't think Steve wants any more reminders of the bumps on the road behind him than he knows the press will offer anyway.

He's already said, essentially, that the celebration will be stretched out over the whole year in the form of strong product introduction. That's looking forward, which Apple is much more interested in doing.

I'm not actually surprised at all that the last few days came and went with no product announcements. I think product announcements are imminent, but they'll be ready when they're ready, and not before. Apple can summon the world press on a week's notice when the bun's out of the proverbial oven.

eh yah i guess you make a good point
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

eh yah i guess you make a good point

He does indeed.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    May I remind you that this is the 20th Anniversary YEAR of the Macintosh, not just the 20th Anniversary Day or week. We've got plenty of time for new stuff, just relax.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    It is possible that they are waiting to announce during the SuperBowl. They did it 20 years ago.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by lsngctrl

It is possible that they are waiting to announce during the SuperBowl. They did it 20 years ago.

well...do they have superbowl ad space??? i'm not too sure they do
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

By all accounts, no. And last I heard today, there were two free slots open in the fourth quarter of the game. I doubt Apple would take either one of them: depending on the game, there could be a large audience sitting on the edge of their seats...or a mere handful of die-hards taking in the blowout.

It's safe to note that Apple is pushing this Pepsi-iTunes promotion for now. Perhaps once this dies down and, say, February 10th (a Tuesday!) rolls around, we may get back to Apple-centric product announcements like PowerBook bumps, iMac revisions, a free Pepsi with every 2 GHz G5 PowerMac purchase, etc.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

By all accounts, no. And last I heard today, there were two free slots open in the fourth quarter of the game.

And what makes us think - given a universe where Apple had purchased ad space - that we would be privy to such information?

Big news like that? It's not like they'd go and post it on the website!

er, wait...
  • Reply 12 of 20
    I agree! I am going to bet on a BIG ad ( besides the two scheduled Pepsi/iTunes ads ). I think Steve is up to something.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

By all accounts, no. And last I heard today, there were two free slots open in the fourth quarter of the game. I doubt Apple would take either one of them: depending on the game, there could be a large audience sitting on the edge of their seats...or a mere handful of die-hards taking in the blowout.

It's safe to note that Apple is pushing this Pepsi-iTunes promotion for now. Perhaps once this dies down and, say, February 10th (a Tuesday!) rolls around, we may get back to Apple-centric product announcements like PowerBook bumps, iMac revisions, a free Pepsi with every 2 GHz G5 PowerMac purchase, etc.

I disagree with that and

Quote:

I agree! I am going to bet on a BIG ad ( besides the two scheduled Pepsi/iTunes ads ). I think Steve is up to something.

Agree with that... or at least i hope for things to go that way
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Agree with that... or at least i hope for things to go that way

What in heavens name is making you think there is something other than the iTunes/Pepsi commercial-that's Apple related?
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

What in heavens name is making you think there is something other than the iTunes/Pepsi commercial-that's Apple related?

....or least i HOPE!!!
  • Reply 16 of 20
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

....or least i HOPE!!!

Why? The Pepsi commercial is gonna draw tons of traffic to Apple's site, so their site should have some obvious ads. They don't need a TV commercial (Hey, they'd probably do something really stupid anyway)
  • Reply 17 of 20
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    What a better time to bring out new products then when TONS of people are going to your website??? Just wait until tomorrow...
  • Reply 18 of 20
    There has to be something to replace the imac or signficantly upgrade it... how long must we wait?

Wish the damn PBs would get an official G5 date...
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Why? The Pepsi commercial is gonna draw tons of traffic to Apple's site, so their site should have some obvious ads. They don't need a TV commercial (Hey, they'd probably do something really stupid anyway)

yah...my hope is that there are new 1s I'll check the site i dont care how someone else will find out... but thats good thinking for if i wasn't the selfish SOB that i am
  • Reply 20 of 20
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    My hope is that they're deploying a few racks' worth of G5 Xserves to handle traffic after the Super Bowl ads.