I'm about ready to give in......

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Not for me.

Have you checked out Apple's GB Discussions yet? There is a good comment about minimizing GB during playback due to the UI sucking up between 50-60% of the CPU. Give it a whirl.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I am in the same boat as the original poster. I am still soldiering on with a Rev A B & W G3 - 300 and it is as sluggish as hell. Panther has made it more unstable and I have learned not to buy the first machines out of the stable. This is a long term investment so I am going to wait, but it's liker a Hitchcock movie, the suspense is killing me.

Roll on DP 2.6 G5 c/w 2 X 250GB HDD's
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

and I have learned not to buy the first machines out of the stable. This is a long term investment so I am going to wait

the g5 itslef has been out for a long time though, and really the only part changing will be the processor, and they already have the 970fx in the xserve. i dont think there will be any problems with rev b pmac's. i typically wont buy just-introduced products either (which is partly why i dont already have a g5), but i think this situation is different. besides, the WORST that can happen is that apple will pay for ALL repairs needed, so is there anything to not be confident about?
  • Reply 24 of 32
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

... As for someones suggestion that you should always buy the top-end machines - I disagree. I would suggest that you always buy the entry level machine. Top end kit depreciates (in value) the fastest - and because the initial outlay is far higher, so is the amount of cash that you lose. ...

Now that's an interesting viewpoint. Usually what happens is that the current top becomes the new bottom, at a substantial drop in price, with the old low-end being dropped. I've heard this as an argument to buy the top-end, because it remains an active model longer. Yet bang-for-buck-wise, the low-end is usually the best deal. Have to give this some thought myself... Refurb 1.6's are only $1395 right now... Tempting

• Reply 25 of 32
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Refurb 1.6's are only $1395 right now... Tempting

I have played on a 1.6. IMHO, don't bother. The performance was not all that great for a new CPU. That's just IMHO.

I'm about to give in... and wait another God-knows-how-long for the RevB PowerMac.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    Ahh but the dual 2Ghz one I messed with today was FAST!!!
  • Reply 27 of 32
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tfworld

Ahh but the dual 2Ghz one I messed with today was FAST!!!

Oh yea, the dual 2 is "one kick ass machine!"8)
  • Reply 28 of 32
    tombtomb Posts: 29member
    It's not looking good for speed bumped G5s or G5 PowerBooks until at least April. First, consider the trade-in on the early TiBooks, due to end at the end of March. Now we hear of another trade-in for G4-G3s toward new G5s. Granted, the G3-4 trade-in is apparently only in Australia, but again, it's due to end near the end of March. That leaves the iMac. God I hope Apple ups them very soon, I told my sister to hold off on an iMac back in early Dec. She's going to hate me if nothing's coming for a couple more months. I guess we wait 'til Tuesday, then buy the iMac.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Couple of weeks ago i started a thread at apple's discussions board for the G5 called "good time to buy a g5?" i didnt know at the time that apple doesnt like those speculation threads... but despite talking about weather or not it was a safe time to buy considering the tickling feeling that something is just over the horizon, apple didnt delete it. Not for nearly 2 weeks.

They deleted it yesterday. I hate to be a hard-on about this, but could this mean something?

goooood loooorrrd

have a good one! Viv' le powermac!
  • Reply 30 of 32
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    After 2 weeks they finally got around to deleting it???
  • Reply 31 of 32
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TomB

... That leaves the iMac. God I hope Apple ups them very soon, I told my sister to hold off on an iMac back in early Dec. She's going to hate me if nothing's coming for a couple more months. I guess we wait 'til Tuesday, then buy the iMac.

I suppose the iMac could get a speed-bump to 1.33GHz (7447), allowing time for cooler G5s to go into it in September or so.

(edit) Just used iMovie to make my first VCD today. On my 1GHz cube (7200RPM HD), the process was very slow. But it was also very easy!
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

I suppose the iMac could get a speed-bump to 1.33GHz (7447), allowing time for cooler G5s to go into it in September or so.

SNIP

Yeah, that 20" really doesn't count as a jump for the line. Very nice but iMacs still look poorly on max ram, Mhz, bus, and graphics card.