countdown to new g5's...

Comments

• Reply 301 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Ah, but they won't, they'll be accessing the iTunes Music Store.

And, grasshopper, one can only spill beans when one has beens to spill.

They'll need to download iTunes first, grasshopper!
  • Reply 302 of 410
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    When would the best time to introduce new Macs??? When everyone is going to iTunes and apple.com to check out the Pepsi deal! I will go out on a limb here and say new Macs this weekend!!!!!!! dual 3Ghz g5 coming soon!
  • Reply 303 of 410
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Yesterday I was checking out prices, and there was exactly one G5 desktop on the "Special Deals" page: dual 2.0. Now all three (well single 1.8, not dualie) are there. Don't know if it means anything of course.
  • Reply 304 of 410
    Quote:

Got a Micro Center mailing today. Great deals on G5s and iMacs! $200 mail-in rebates on 1.6 and 1.8, bringing prices down to $1599 and $1899. This must be the old single 1.8 since they say the reg price is $2099 and the current dual 1.8 goes for $2499. Rebate expires 2/8, a week from Sunday. New G5s that week?

More fuel for the fire:

The online Apple Store has 1.6GHz and 1.8GHz (SP) G5s (refurbs) for $1399 and $1699, respectivley. The old price for refurbs last week (or so) was $1599 & $1799. Looks like Apple wants to get rid of some old stock...
  • Reply 305 of 410
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

The only seemingly current model with a rebate is the 1.6 G5 but when you go to the link above, you see that it's the Jaguar version, not Panther.

I purchased an iMac last week from MicroCenter... they included Panther (full version) in the package. FYI. I guess shipping with "all new CPUs" means "all NEW CPUs?"
  • Reply 306 of 410
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    All signs are pointing to... New G5's!!! see sig
  • Reply 307 of 410
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemmingway

Maybe when Steve Jobs said "3ghz G5s by this time next year" in July...he really meant 3ghz G5s in r&d stages at ibm's main facilities in July.

a 3Ghz G5 is a 3Ghz G5: that means a product to sell sporting 1 or 2 3Ghz G5 chips.

if it is in r&d stages in july there is no product no nothing

and in that stage it wouldn't be called a 3Ghz G5 but a 3Ghz ppc970.

i actually don't expect a 3Ghz G5 in july.
  • Reply 308 of 410
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    10% off all iPods today and tomorrow only!
  • Reply 309 of 410
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

10% off all iPods today and tomorrow only!

yah... if only i had the money
  • Reply 310 of 410
    Apple's suppliers need to be ready before they can announce anything.

That is all I can say.
  • Reply 311 of 410
    So, IBM is still ramping up on those 0.09 G5s?

Maybe a little behind scedule? Or on schedule and we Apple watchers exhibiting a little impatience for the first rev to the G5 PowerMac.

Or maybe we will get higher speed grades than expected from this upgrade and IBM need a little more time to get the yields needed for a quarter million PowerMac sales...and an all dual line-up? Last time around, the dual 2 gig high end model was the best selling. Maybe a little extra time is needed to get enough of those 2.6 G5 speed grades together... Anything like last time and it will be the best selling model if recent price points are maintained.

...and there's that G5 'new new iMac' as well?

I would expect both to hit soon after the Pepsi promotion.

Great Superbowl advertising is going to point people to Apple's website.

They'd be foolish not to have something new on the Mac front. 100 million potential customers coming to grab a freebie and check out yer talent. That's alot of potential Mac mindshare and potential Mac marketshare growth.

This is probably the best advertising/promotion Apple has had in years. They'd be nuts not to be ready with some Mac related. Something really exciting and new on the Mac front. Apple's site will be busy with plenty of non-Mac people seeing what all the fuss is about re: Macs, iPod, iLife, iTunes etc. What better way to bury the relative disappointment of the iMac 2 by coming out blazing with a new flagship iMac computer that echoes the simplicity and 'beyond the box' mindshare of the iPod? A cheaper iMac for the 'rest of us'.

A cool 'New New iMac' to go with the iPod Mini. And/or an impressive all dual PowerMac rev with speeds up to 2.6? 3 gig? What better way to boost sales of both lines? Quickly followed up by bumped Powerbook products (not necessarily G5 Powerbooks?).

It's looking more like mid to late Feb' based on the X-Serve shipping announcement (and Krassy's fabled prediction!). I guess IBM has to be ready and Apple has to have sufficient inventory to ship immediately. This aint the same situation as when the G4 tower sales had dried up...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 312 of 410
    Hey all!

I just read at (I know, I know) macosrumors.com that some retailers are reporting that existing G5s are EOL'd. Can anyone confirm this? I'm anxiously awaiting a dual rev. B G5 to augment my MDD 1.25 G4, but if nothing's been announced by mid-end Feb, I'm just going to go ahead and order a dual 2.0 ...

-John
  • Reply 313 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by bangstudios

Hey all!

I just read at (I know, I know) macosrumors.com that some retailers are reporting that existing G5s are EOL'd. Can anyone confirm this? I'm anxiously awaiting a dual rev. B G5 to augment my MDD 1.25 G4, but if nothing's been announced by mid-end Feb, I'm just going to go ahead and order a dual 2.0 ...

-John

i hope thats true...
  • Reply 314 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by bangstudios

Hey all!

-John

EOL'd???
  • Reply 315 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

EOL'd???

End Of Line... would suggest new models if it were true...
  • Reply 316 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by celestial

End Of Line... would suggest new models if it were true...

oh ok thanks
  • Reply 317 of 410
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    EOL = End of Life, right?

I also just read the MOSR report.... that and the MacBippy report on rebates on Aussie G5s made me think. I spoke this week with my sales rep (i know... I know.. they know less than we do, generally). He doesn't know me that well (new rep) and I mentioned my old desktops. He became very interested and asked what they were. When I replied "blue and whites" he said something like "oh, that wouldn't work". I didn't think about it at the time, but maybe there is unannounced trade-ins for G4s? My Sun rep just pointed out that they have a 20% off on the direct competitor to a dual G5 (for me, anyway) with a trade-in (I have an Ultra 10 workstation also).

Just a data point or two.
  • Reply 318 of 410
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    At this point I have to believe that Apple could ship 3 GHz G5 PowerMacs today if they had the rest of the system ready to go. The current 970 can run in excess of 2 GHz so it should be no problem at all to hit 3 GHz with the 90nm chips. There are apparently other issues holding Apple back.

My vote goes for North bridge issues. Once these are resolved I think we will see a direct jump to 3GHz at the top of the line. In any event Apple has plenty of time still to get online with the rev B's. It could also be argued that the PowerMac is not where current efforts need to be expended, the rest of the product line is looking rather sad.

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by gar

snipped<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

i actually don't expect a 3Ghz G5 in july.

• Reply 319 of 410
    For the Love of Steve, can anyone confirm the EOL-ing of the current G5s? Puuuulllleeeeeze?
  • Reply 320 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

EOL = End of Life, right?

I dunno... if we don't get something thrown at us in the next few weeks, it might be the "end of the line"

I am having to medicate again. Thanks a LOT, Steve...