Video iPod in the forecast...again?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Make of it what you will

linkity link link

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    and he talks about video projectors at the bottom...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    I hate to criticize, but this article had little to nothing to contribute. It is a rumor, nor is it presented as such. This guy is just putting together bits of information and spawning conjecture. The only important development on this front was the posting of the engineer job offer posted not too long ago. And that's old news.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Well, it is not rocket science to assume such a progression. The thing that is rocket science is being able to produce an effective way in which the progression will actually be functional and worthwhile to the consumer. The main thing to note is that Jobs does pretty much stick to his word (Newton). Jobs did say, "there is no video equivelant of headphones" but then one would say that is where Apple could innovate such an equivalent. It might be something they want to try and do, but then back up and ask yourself, "Would anyone really use this?" Especially considering the fact that music is done portably not just because of small file sizes, but because songs are only usually 4 minutes long, whereas movies can be 3 hours long...

Just my thoughts, thanks for readin'.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    If it's a good idea to make a portable video player with built in projector why has no one offered a DVD/projector combo? Because once you put a projector on it, it's no longer portable.

The idea that Apple could somehow shoehorn projector functionality into a "pod" form factor is just stupid.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Just posted the story for the sake of discussion. Personally, I don't have a need or desire for a video iPod, as I carry my Powerbook EVERYWHERE with me anyway.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Just, something... People keep saying that Jobs says TV is for when you want to switch you brain off, so no TV devices etc.

Well, how about when you're on the bus/train/aeroplane, and you want some entertainment other than the rain bashing on the windows?

Doesn't it make some sense to have some music to listen to, or perhaps a video that you uploaded from DVD to your vPod?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

Just, something... People keep saying that Jobs says TV is for when you want to switch you brain off, so no TV devices etc.

From this:

Do you have any other thoughts about where your competitors are taking their strategies? For example, Windows Media PCs are computers attached to TV sets.

Well, we've always been very clear on that. We don't think that televisions and personal computers are going to merge. We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on.

Are there some complementary aspects to it?

Well, they want to link sometimes. Like, when you make a movie, you burn a DVD and you take it to your DVD player. Someday that could happen over AirPort, so you don't have to burn a DVD -- you can just watch it right off your computer on your television set. But most of these products that have said, "Let's combine the television and the computer!? have failed. All of them have failed.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

why did you get your priviliges revoked clive?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    oh i've found it !!

got to laugh
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Maybe Apple are planning to offer music vids alongside the song on iTunes - gets round the limitation that Jobs mentions of people listening to tunes hundreds of times and watching movies a max of 6.

Would fit in with the iTunes/iPod brand too rather than redefine it - which is always risky.

I think this is the next natural move. It goes well with the iPod DJs (they could then do video). Put a S-Video out port or something, and you're good to go.

Once they've proven a market for this, they could extend into things like downloadable TV episodes, then movies, etc. But I think music videos are a natural. The cool thing about that is, music video sales are pretty small right now, so if they have any success in this area they could dwarf existing sales.