Graphic tablet

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm searching for a graphic tablet that works with my powerbook.

I've found the "Wacom Graphire3 Studio". Seems to have a really good price, considering that it allready comes with photoshop elements 2.

Does this thing work well with MacOS X? Is there any software that will allow me to paste Hand-written text into documents? Are graphic tablets in general a lot better than a mouse when using photoshop?

Should I consider other Graphic tablets (in the same price-range)? Any comments about using graphic tablets would be appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Heh, I take i you've never heard of Inkwell. It's a built-in handwriting recondition technology in Mac OS X 10.2 and 10.3 that is based off of the famous Newton.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/inkwell/

Apple even has a Wacom tablet on the Inkwell page's right side. I think it should work well, then.

http://www.venturaes.com/wacom/inkwell.html

"Inkwell can be used with any application that allows words to be entered with a keyboard."

Does that answer your questions?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I never understood the point of wanting to write as input...unless your on a tablet or something. As for photoshop...well a good analogy is that using a mouse for photoshop/illustrator is like trying to paint with a brick

I've heard that 50million times when I first started working with a tablet because I still preferred a mouse, until I got used to the tablet, now I love it.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    As far as I know, Wacom is the best in the market, and their hardware and software is integrated very well into OSX. I own the Wacom Intuos 2 9x12 and I love it. Still, I haven't replaced my mouse, which still feels most comfortable to me in most applications. When I do use it, 99% of the time it is for Photoshop. The pen's pressure sensitivity makes digital painting pure joy.

Back about 7 years ago, I owned one of the small Wacom tablets, and was always flustered by the limited range in movement. While the space it takes up may be an issue, I would definitely recommend a larger tablet.

If you are a student, there are several education stores online that offer the tablets at a reduced cost (maybe around 10% or more cheaper than listed prices from Wacom?). The one I've used is academicsuperstore.com.

Hope this helped.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I prefer you go with the older Graphire 2 or even 1

The latest Graphire 3 has a very "sticky" surface. Which is NOT A GOOD THING?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I just got a new, cheap graphics tablet. Made by UC-Logic. Worked fine in the shop where I tested it with my powerbook, but am now having problems with it... See post in the Genius Bar for that.

I do like how with the PC, I have to install loads of drivers etc. for the same tablet. With MacOS, I plugged it in, it worked. Well, it worked for a short while anyhow. And Ink seems quite good, from the brief bit I've seen of it...

Edit: it stopped working. It's going back. I'm going to buy a Wacom when I can justify the cost...
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Does Ink recognize cursive like the later Newtons?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Ink, from what I understand, is awesome at recognizing handwriting, no matter what style, cursive or otherwise.

I've been in the market for a tablet for a while now, my only problem is I can't afford it. But when I do get one it will be a Wacom. I do a ton of Photoshop, Illustrator, and other graphics stuff, and doing stuff with the mouse is a huge pain. Can't wait till I get my tablet.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Ink, from what I understand, is awesome at recognizing handwriting, no matter what style, cursive or otherwise.

I've been in the market for a tablet for a while now, my only problem is I can't afford it. But when I do get one it will be a Wacom. I do a ton of Photoshop, Illustrator, and other graphics stuff, and doing stuff with the mouse is a huge pain. Can't wait till I get my tablet.

Doing tons of graphic stuff but can't afford to spend 90bucks (70bucks for refurb) for a Graphire2????

If you are going for the Intuos 6x8 that would be another matter.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I think you fail to understand my current situation.

I'm a student, trying to pay my way through paramedic school which has proven to be more expensive than just a regular college education. So $90 is a lot of money to me. I have some money saved up from working, but I don't part with it easily, especially since something unexpected might come up and than I'll be kinda screwed.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Get it. I remember the money I spent for program I took in film school.....this kind of schools are private schools and have no funding by the governement. Typical causes cost at least 3x as much.... Ouch!

I was questioning you because you said you are doing a lot of graphic works and I assume you at least have a few bucks to spend

My apology