What about the mouse?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>

Actually, most people hated it because most people use mice incorrectly: They glom their hands onto those huge, so-called "ergonomic" mice, with their wrists down, and so they don't know what to do when faced with a mouse designed for fingertip use.

The puck actually followed exhaustive research by Digital Equipment engineers (the same research that yielded the modern keyboard layout) into ergonomics. They ended up with a round mouse too. It makes sense: You're suppose to keep your wrists up, or straight. So: Hold your arm out. Relax your wrist. Relax your fingers. Look at the outline your fingertips make. It's a circle, roughly. Now, place your hand over the puck. It's a completely natural position that requires little to no effort to maintain for long periods.

The puck was also sized so that little kids could use it with their small hands (remember those little niches called the home and education markets?).

The current "gelcap" is a more conventional Apple mouse. I still use it - and enjoy it - as a fingertip mouse, although it's not as comfortable because I have to close my hand slightly around its narrower shape, but you can use it incorrectly if you want to. And since the button is the whole surface, kids can still use it easily, and you can use more than one finger to press down, reducing strain.

The puck's main problem was the cord, which would change the mouse's angle at inopportune times.

If you want carpal tunnel, look no farther than multi-button mice with scroll wheels.

[ 08-13-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]

[ 08-13-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wow! I stand corrected Amorph! Thanks for the correction.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    [quote]All of these programs work better with more than 1 button...if you say they do not then you are just being stubborn and clouded by your Apple love.<hr></blockquote>

Not true. I question your definition of better.

I like the one button mouse because it does not force my hand to bend in awkward ways to press the buttons right. I can just rest my hand on the mouse and click in the most natural place, whereas with a multi-button mouse, however the buttons were laid out, that would be more difficult or impossible.

Amorya
  • Reply 23 of 25
    "What about the mouse?" I think Apple believes that it's one-button question is about to fade. Microsoft and all the major notebook companies feel stylus input is the way of the future for portables. Bill Gates often says he only uses a Tablet PC now. Apple's written the software. They couldn't have spelled out more clearly that it is a major part of the new operating system, yet the minimum investment to use it right now is fairly steep for a Graphire, which is ok, but at 4"x5" isn't particularly practical. It's got to be available on the hardware side soon, at least as BTO. It seems far-fetched and silly to me, but there are a lot of press releases flying.

Someone mentioned Bluetooth. Here's what I love about the whole Bluetooth thing: Batteries. Any idea how much you're going to be fiddling with batteries in the all Bluetooth world? The keyboard, the mouse, the pen/stylus we're all supposed to buy, remote controls.... Especially the stylus. Maybe we'll be buying the batteries. The cost isn't so much, though it's an annoying addition to the tech world where we've got the cable fee, the internet fee, the phone fee, the X-Box fee, the MMORPG fees, the .Mac fee, and more on the way. The big thing is the inevitable situation where your keyboard or mouse runs out of batteries in the middle of the night. God willing, you've got a 7-11 nearby, but if you haven't contributed ot the poor lately you've got a country house and you have to drive half an hour there and back while you're sitting on a deadline. A relative of mine already hit this with wireless peripherals from Logitech downtown. There aren't many all-night convenience stores in Vancouver's downtown core and it was a major distraction.

Of course, you can snicker "rechargable"

under your breath, but think about that. You plug it in to trickle charge it. Why would you unplug it? The stylus, yes, the mouse, perhaps, though I bet most people would leave it in, but the keyboard is certainly going to stay hooked up. That means it isn't cordless any more. One cord, same as before. That doesn't mean you won't be paying more for your Bluetooth keyboard or mouse, though, cheap as the interface chip is. It's great for us laptop owners, because the cord is plugged into the floor instead of our machine, but a lot of people with desktops are crowing too.

[ 08-18-2002: Message edited by: AllenChristopher ]</p>
  • Reply 24 of 25
    rashumonrashumon Posts: 453member
    [quote]Originally posted by FlashGordon:

<strong>I do not give a fvck what some of you Apple druids out there say about going out and buying a a two button mouse. If I pay 3 grand plus ($60 of which is the mouse) for a computer I need a damn mouse that is designed to use the programs the CPU is being touted for. This includes games, Photoshop, Shake, MS office, and the internet. All of these programs work better with more than 1 button...if you say they do not then you are just being stubborn and clouded by your Apple love. If they wanna knock $60 bucks off the price of a PowerMac so I can get a mouse that actually works with the crap I use then I will not complain at all, but some of you idiots want me to be happy about wasting my money on extra hardware that I should not have to buy. I have better things to spend money on than extra mice.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well said flash ! especially considering all those switching adds ... most PCee people are appaled about not having a second button or scroll wheel.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    I've no objection to a BTO 3 button mouse, but Apple needs to keep the lowest common denominator 1 button.

Why? Because not everybody can use more. If 3 becomes the default then kids, the elderly, the disabled etc will no longer be catered for.

Developers are lazy, they won't code for 3, 2 or 1 button, they'll code for 3. The current setup means if more buttons are there you get added features anyway, but if not, no problem.

Shake should come with a $25 voucher for a 3 button mouse from the AppleStore (which should sell $30 3 button mice).

Macs in general need to stay at 1 button.