New IPOD on sys9 ?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Does anyone know of a way to get an Ipod (w/Dock) to boot up and work on system 9?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I could be wrong...but don't you just get iTunes, than plug it into a firewire port? Better yet, avoid the whole mess and send me the iPod.

Or, get OS X. Thats the best option yet.

Than next time, put iPod questions in Digital Hub.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    was iTunes ever released for OS 9? I always used (the superior) Soundjam
  • Reply 3 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    iTunes versions 1 and 2 are both available for OS 9. However, I think Apple has removed support for OS 9 in the third-generation iPods. I find that frustrating since they provide better Windows support than legacy Mac support.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

iTunes versions 1 and 2 are both available for OS 9. However, I think Apple has removed support for OS 9 in the third-generation iPods. I find that frustrating since they provide better Windows support than legacy Mac support.

No they don't. You can't use iTunes on WinME or 98. XP and 2k are pretty much the same thing. OS 9 was dead years ago.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    wait, my Dad is planning on getting an iPod mini for his OS 9 machine, are you guys saying it won't work with his iTunes??!!! also, isn't this a digi-hub thread?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

wait, my Dad is planning on getting an iPod mini for his OS 9 machine, are you guys saying it won't work with his iTunes??!!! also, isn't this a digi-hub thread?

Yep, from the iPod spec sheet:

Quote:

Macintosh computer with FireWire port; Mac OS X v10.1.5 or later (Mac OS X 10.3 or later recommended)

The new iPods require iTunes 4.0 which doesn't work with OS 9.

Your dad needs to upgrade.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The old iPods are fine. In fact, many people prefer them because they have mechanical controls and longer battery life. Of course, they're not as sleek and compact, and they don't work in OS 9, so there's the trade-off. You'll have to either get an older iPod or a newer computer.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Oh he's got OS X, he just doesn't use it. I mean, he LIKES Outlook Express 4.5! This should be a trip to work out with him....