purchasing advice: g4 vs. g5

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello everyone I'm a new user here and I came here to get some advice. I'm hoping to buy a new computer this week but I guess I'm feeling guilty about it because I keep thinking about getting a new G4 instead of the G5 I really want.

Right now I have a ruby iMac 450mhz G3 computer and I'll be selling it this computer to upgrade. I'm planning a trip down to the Apple store this week to really play with the computers but for now I'm hoping some experienced users can share their knowledge with me first.

I know anything is better than a G3 but what are the performance differences between a G4 and a G5? Is it alot? I was planning on getting the 1.8ghz G5 on sale at MacMall and adding more RAM but with the guilt setting in, I've been thinking about a 1ghz G4.

As far as what I'd use my computer for, I'be using the internet, games like The Sims and some of Photoshop and Illustrator.

I can't believe what a dilema this is...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    if you can afford it i'd say pick up a dual G5. the improvements they made to the line were much heftier than just new chips.

you'll get a much better machine, it will have a longer useful lifespan, and will probably have a much higher resale value down the road.

to me the G5's feel and perform significantly faster than the G4's.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    lainlain Posts: 140member
    It will be a lot sooner before you have to replace the G4 than the G5. So get a G5, its better value for money and will last you for ages, while the G4 will have to be replaced soon(er) and you will be faced with the same dilema all over again.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    get a dual 1.8 or you can get a refurb dual 2.0 at the applestore special deals section for 2399.00 (about the same price as a new dual 1.8 )

always try to look to what you might be doing in the FUTURE when you buy a comp. you may only be playing the sims, and some light photo stuff now but you might be doing more later.

when i bought my first comp i paid extra to have usb, win 98, and a "huge" 4 gig hard drive. all these were new back then and usb wasen't widespread. most people i knew had a 1 gig hd (or less!), win 95 or 3.0, and no usb. they thought i was wasting my money, but then the imac came out in 98 and brought usb to the mainstream. the next year my friends all had to buy expensive new computers to get the features i already had...
  • Reply 4 of 17
    I also agree with the Dual 1.8 Ghz, stock machine, you can put more RAM in it yourself cheaper at Crucial, upgrade it later as you wish.

You'll get more bang for your buck in the long run than a G4, after all the G5 is 64 bit.

Apple may start putting out a 64 bit OS and the applications will soon follow sometime this year.

Then you'll be stuck in a 32 bit OS, like Wintel folks.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Go with the G5. For the same reasons as everyone else said, I'm just putting my vote in for the more powerful machine. You may regret it right away (your wallet at least) but a few years down the road it'll be the best purchase you ever made.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    I just got a G5 referb. from the apple store, saved a several hundred in the process. Considering there was free shipping, didn't even have to haul it in my car.

I do own an older G4 as well. It was a G4 400 AGP, then I converted it to a Powerlogic Dual 1.2 GHz (there went $800)

Both work well, But the G5 is very sweet. The big answer will be if you need OSX 9, or if you do can you live off of your old box for the os 9 apps and the G5 for OSX. And of course you could look far a used G4 box as well. BUYER BEWARE as the saying goes...
  • Reply 7 of 17
    WOW. I can't believe how many replies I got. Thanks guys!

Whatever doubt/guilt I was feeling is gone... I'm getting the G5 but... you guys keep mentioning the dual processor G5. Is there a big difference performance wise? I might have to save my pennies for it if this is something I should really do.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    oh, one more thing. Does Apple hide it's refurbished G5 info? All I saw was G4's.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    for apple refurbs, go to the apple store page and click the red price tag labled 'SAVE'

scroll down the list to g5 refurbs and whalla!!

heres a link directly to refurbs - scroll down to g5 and buy me 1 too

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...3.1.1.0?109,86
  • Reply 10 of 17
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    G5! G5! G5!

G4 = Yuck! Never buy anything with Moto cpu!

Oh yeah, I admit I have extreme bias to Moto. Because they make me hate them
  • Reply 11 of 17
    I must have been blind or I didn't let it load all the way. Thanks!

What do you guys think of refurbished computers, is it worth it? So far, looks like I could save a little some money doing it that way although I'd be paying sales tax now.

I can't thank you guys enough for your feedback... it's great!
  • Reply 12 of 17
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    Get the most that you have the money for! G5 refurb if you dont have the cash and new G5 is you do!
  • Reply 13 of 17
    the dual 1.8 is a MUCH better machines than the single 1.6. if you're going to get a G5, get the 1.8. it has numerous advantages beyond just the dual cpu advantage, which is significant.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    All dualies have double the number of RAM slots <------ Very important

And each processor has its OWN bus. Unlike the G4s which SHARED the already narrow bus.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    now this may be the ignorant side of me talking but if i got a single, can i add another processor later on?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    not from Apple you can't. down the line someone might come up with an upgrade, but i wouldn't bet on it. the dual 1.8 G5 is your best bet. it has a great balance of power to cost. by far the best deal in the line-up. would have been what i'd bought if they initially offered it.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Thanks everyone for all your advice. I ended up buying a single 1.85 new from Club Mac and got a GREAT deal on next day shipping so it worked out better than getting a refurbished one from Apple, they would have charged me sales tax. Anyhow... thanks! You guys helped me so much!