Show off your community!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
North Bay, Ontario's self-proclaimed Gateway to the North!

My home for the past three and a half years, it's a modest university town of about 60,000 shivering people, some rocky hills and a lot of trees. I'm surprised how nice it looks from overhead!

Sadly, my apartment and the Nipissing University campus are too far to the right to show up in this picture.

Click on the image for a full-sized version from the city's official site.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member

this is my community.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Nice Daver. Makes me wish I had gotten that job a U Wisc'. oh well. I used to live in Chicago but took a job at U Mich. Not worth posting a picture of ann arbor. For some reason people keep telling me they heard ann arbor is "pretty". I don't know what city they are looking at.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Nice Daver. Makes me wish I had gotten that job a U Wisc'. oh well. I used to live in Chicago but took a job at U Mich. Not worth posting a picture of ann arbor. For some reason people keep telling me they heard ann arbor is "pretty". I don't know what city they are looking at.

don't say that, I am starting a four year thing there next year...
  • Reply 4 of 22
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

Maybe with enough of that it will look "pretty".
  • Reply 5 of 22
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Maybe with enough of that it will look "pretty".

With enough of that, anything would look 'pretty.'
  • Reply 6 of 22
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

For some reason people keep telling me they heard ann arbor is "pretty". I don't know what city they are looking at.

Every time I stumble out of The Blind Pig I think your city is gorgeous.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Nice place Dave

Fellows
  • Reply 8 of 22
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member

Scranton, PA is left with a lot of abandoned mines...and huge culm banks everywhere. A few streams look like this:

• Reply 9 of 22
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member

if you zoom in far enough, you can see the cops beating a black person for no reason

but, i LOVE cincinnati chili!
  • Reply 10 of 22
    LOLLLLLLLLL
  • Reply 11 of 22
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    So terrible, yet I can't help but laugh.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Ann Arbor is only pretty in a standard suburban tree lined sense. Very nice place to live but no great scenery. The Arboretum is nicest thing I suppose. I suppose that you could make something out of the fact that Ann Arbor doesn't really ahve a massive rundown ghettoish area that is total visual blight like many cities. You can get some nice pics of certain buildings' architecture on campus and State street and such that are nice but no nice big macro scenery since there isn't really a major body or water or a large downtown.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

The only things I know about Ohio I learned watching WKRP and Drew Carey.

well, there isn't a lot to ohio. quite a few people (~ 11,000,000 i think ?) and the character of most ohio cities, like most US cities, is being raped pretty severely by suburban sprawl. cincinnati is particularly bad and will only be getting worse since the city cut the planning department and answers every problem with a new highway
  • Reply 14 of 22
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I went to HS in Cincinnati. But now, I'd put my location up against anyone for the prettiest place in the world.

• Reply 15 of 22
    Missoula is in a pretty nice setting. I think there are other comparable cities though. Plus everyone in Montana is crazy.

After spending enough time in the West I don't think I will ever move back to east of the Mississippi again. There are certainly some nice little cities and hte Atlantic and some smaller mountain ranges. But nothing that approaches the grand scenery of the Sierra Nevada, Cascades, SE Utah, Rockies, Canadian Rockies etc found in the West.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    homhom Posts: 1,098member

This is pretty much the view from my front door. 8)
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

Nice house. Is that a 6-car garage + a basketball or tennis court in the backyard?
  • Reply 19 of 22
    The view from the world's first TV tower:

If you could see through a hill and some buildings, you would be able to see my home on this picture.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Impressive. It really does go nowhere. 8)