New Powerbooks need more than a G5...

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Yeah -- the Pismo really has everything else beat in terms of raw functionality (which professionals are looking at first). The mucho battery life, plus reasonable screen size and resolution, plus acceptably fast performance with OSX make it quite desirable still. But Apple wouldn't ever go back to something that seemed to work so well, would they?
  • Reply 62 of 66
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

But Apple wouldn't ever go back to something that seemed to work so well, would they?

If you talk about processor power vs. battery life, I would say yes, with the alleged IBM 750VX. Perhaps not to the Pismo levels, but better than today.
  • Reply 63 of 66
    neilwneilw Posts: 77member
    One more thing about resolution: All I really want is to be able to fit a legible page of text (in Word, or a PDF, or whatever) on the screen. On my TiBook, with 768 vertical resolution (the limiting factor in displaying a portrait-oriented page), a full page is barely readable, and pretty crappy looking. Purely a sharpness issue.

It drives me nuts to need to zoom documents so that a page won't fit on the screen anymore. How does the current 15" Albook do for full page display?
  • Reply 64 of 66
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Modular bays aren't coming back because we're on this thinness craze. There's not enough room for all the structure required to physically implement modular bays. Already discussed at length in other threads.

High res would be a pain because, unlike Windows, Mac doesn't let us change the system font!
  • Reply 65 of 66
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Modular bays can come back, they just have to be thin: if the room is there for the battery/drive, then it is still there for it to be ejectable, you just have to change the shape to a thin-wide format.
  • Reply 66 of 66
    thttht Posts: 5,608member
    Heh, several months ago I had a thread about what people's thoughts were on a Powerbook G5 that was 1.5+ inches thick, Pismo territory, and I remember the majority didn't like it. The original Powerbook G3, Wallstreet, was 2+ inches thick!