How do you tell AirPort NOT to connect!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

You're making it much harder than it is.

I agree. We've given you all the options, and you still persist in asking the same question over and over. It seems like this is more important to you than the very oxygen you breathe to sustain your life. Let it go. Do what we told you and live with it.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Okay, Scott. You want the laptop to only connect to your network, no matter what?

1) Create a seperate login for your wife, which does not have Administrator rights.

2) Log into that account, and set up the Airport connection. Make sure you select Join a specific network and set that.

3) Turn off the Show Airport status in menubar option, so there's not even a list of the other ones. Use another product like Konfabulator to check your signal strength.

4) Lock the System Preferences. This way, no one can accidentally change these settings.

From that point on, the notebook should only connect to your network. If the network is not available, it will not connect at all.

[Edited to correct a spelling error and clarify a point.]
  • Reply 23 of 35
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Good God, I even posted a PICTURE in post #11 in this thread.

Scott, I can only surmise you're being dense on purpose at this point. This information will do *EXACTLY* what you said you wanted, which is to connect to precisely the network you specify, and *only* the network you specify. Criminy.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I WILL TYPE IN ALL CAPS SO YOU CAN READ IT BETTER. MY WIFE THROUGH ACCIDENT OR MISUSE IS STILL GETTING ON TO OTHER PEOPLES' NETWORKS. DESPITE SETING UP A DEFAULT NETWORK TO CONNECT TO, SHE STILL ENDS UP ON ANOTHER NETWORK FROM TIME TO TIME.

ALSO AS A NETWORK SECURITY ISSUE IT SEEMS TO ME THAT SOMEONE MAY WANT TO SET UP A BLACK OR WHITE LIST OF NETWORKS TO NEVER CONNECT TOO OR ONLY CONNECT TO.

Why is that so hard?
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Sorry bub, but if it's through misuse, then it's simply PEBCAK, and short of replacing your wife, there's nothing to be done.

I don't recall anywhere above that you indicated that you had set it to only connect to one network, and it failing. As far as I could tell, you were still off running in circles trying to figure out how to a) get security working, b) set up a white or black list, c) do something 'in the Unix layer'.

Now, take a deep breath, and calm the heck down.

This is simple.

New location, AirPort only, set up to only join a specific network.

THEN if it fails when your wife selects that location, come back and you might get a better response.

Trying to hold us responsible for not knowing that you'd tried something when you never indicated you had is infantile.

Off to Genius Bar with ye.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Ive got an idea but its just an idea and I dont know the actual commands to make it work...

couldnt you configure the router/airport/wirless access point to use fixed ip's instead of dhcp then configure the en1 script to use a fixed ip also, so instead of airport looking for networks and accepting a dhcp address it will always have the same ip i think you could use a command like

ifconfig en1 192.168.0.2 broadcast 192.168.0.255 mask 255.255.0.0

route add gw 192.168.0.1

and configure the ip of your wireless access point to 192.168.0.1

or it might be preferable to use a different range as 192.168.0.1 is the default for most home networks.

I dont have a command line in front of me (windows at work) so I really dont know if that would work, just a suggestion.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Yeah, it's called setting up a Static IP (Manual) in the TCP/IP pane, and telling AirPort to connect to only the one network in the AirPort pane. It's *exactly* what I do at home, no command line needed.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Where does airport have an option to connect to "only one" network?
  • Reply 29 of 35
    The 'By default, join: A specific network' should only let it attach to the one you specify. Period. It's not supposed to be a 'try this first, and then try others', if that's what your previous post about looking up the word 'default' in the dictionary was trying to allude to.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    EVERYONE:

Stop replying to Scott now. Either he will NEVER get it or he's messing with us. We tried. Nothing is getting anywhere, and if he IS messing with us he doesn't deserve the time of day.

I'm done with this thread.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Kickaha and CosmoNut are the only two that provided useful information.

Everyone else answered a question that I didn't ask. It was like talking to a PeeCee help desk.

Me: How do I do this.

You all: You do that.

Me: That doesn't take wep.

Kickaha: You enter wep using 0X

Me: I still want to do this.

You all: You enter 0x into the control panel to do that.

Me: I don't want to do that I want to do this. It's not the same.

CosmoNut: You can't do this. Only that. There's no way to do this.

Me: There's got to be a way to do this.

You all: You do that. You enter it here.

Me: That's not good enough. I want to do this.

You all: What hardware are you using.

Me: What are you trying help me with? Not this?

You all: Why do you keep asking the same question over and over we told you how to do that.

Me: I don't want to do that I want to do this.

You all: Here's step by step on how to do that.

Me: I don't want to do that I want to do this.

You all: We posted a picture on how to do that. What's you're problem.

Scott feels like he's at work dealing with the PeeCee help desk people from work

Scott: I'VE DONE THAT. IT'S NOT WHAT I'M ASKING. I WANT TO DO THIS NOT THAT. THAT IS THAT AND THIS IS THIS. I WANT TO DO THIS.

You all: Calm down. You do that. That wont keep people from doing the other thing. But that is this.

You all: Try this other thing.

Most of this thread was wasted by answering a question that was not asked.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Wow Scott.

you took all that time to type that?

Your user title is spot on.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    I just used software update to update to the newest version of AirPort and with every network I come to it asks if I want to add it to my trusted network. Is this what you are talking about?

Macaddict16
  • Reply 35 of 35
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Okay, just to clarify again, even though it's been said:

You cannot set up a blacklist / whitelist for Airport networks.

That being said, I gave the exact way to prevent the wife from 'accidentally' connecting to other networks in my post.

Scott, you're right, it does sound like you're on a PC help line. I used to work tech support for Dell, and you sound like some of the customer's I had.

Cust: "I want to do X, because Y is causing problems."

Me: "Hm. Well, X isn't possible, but here's how we can fix Y..."

Cust: "No! You aren't listening, I want to do X!"

Me: "Sir, the problem is Y, though, right?"

Cust: "Yes, and I want to fix it by doing X."

Me: "As I said sir, X is not possible. However, we can fix Y by..."

Cust: "You're not listening to me!!! I want to talk to your supervisor!"

Me: *sigh*