Gonna a digicam in 10 minutes, last second tips?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I am about to go buy a digital camera for around $300, what would you suggest. I have been really leaning towards the Nikon 3100. Thanks, oh and hurry with the help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    For the most information go here. I filled in:

Format: compact

Price: <$400

Sensor photo detectors: 3 million

Sensor Type: CCD

and Storage types: compact flash.

and hit compare.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Can I say deal of the century?

I just went out to Circuit City to more or less "impulse buy" a digital camera. I was only thinking about spending $300-350 dollars on a Nikon 3100 or a Canon something or other...I got that Canon something or other, except it wasnt a $300 one.

Circuit City must have Fvcked up big time because they had one model left (not a display model) of the Canon S50...for...Drum Roll...$329.

I was freaking shocked, I acted all poker faced about it and snatched it up with utter glee, at no interest for 12 months no less. So with the 3 year coverage warranty my total was $412 or something, and for a camera that is usually (and at Best Buy right up the street) $450, I think I came away with some kind of deal! The S50 is supposed to be a pretty nice product, here's hoping...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Great choice and great deal, Messiahtosh. Not only is the PowerShot S50 a sophisticated yet compact camera, you'll also find that Canon's software bundle for Mac OS X is better than Nikon's offering.

Escher
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Great choice and great deal, Messiahtosh. Not only is the PowerShot S50 a sophisticated yet compact camera, you'll also find that Canon's software bundle for Mac OS X is better than Nikon's offering.

Escher

Whoa, wait their software bundle? What exactly do I want to do with their software when I have iPhoto? I'm clueless on this, I havent checked the CD's yet though.

I have a few questions if you could be of service to a fellow Mac user. When in auto mode does the flash "know" when to use itself? I guess I should just devour the manual. Thanks for the reply, and I'm glad I got this deal. I've been wanting to get into photography for a while and now I finally bit the bullet and bought the beast. I'm gonna be picture happy these next few days.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Whoa, wait their software bundle? What exactly do I want to do with their software when I have iPhoto? I'm clueless on this, I havent checked the CD's yet though.

I have a few questions if you could be of service to a fellow Mac user. When in auto mode does the flash "know" when to use itself? I guess I should just devour the manual. Thanks for the reply, and I'm glad I got this deal. I've been wanting to get into photography for a while and now I finally bit the bullet and bought the beast. I'm gonna be picture happy these next few days.

Digicams are fun, congrats on the deal

Anyway, with the software... just pop in the CD and mess around with it. Maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't. Maybe it'll do a few things that iPhoto can't do, I don't know. Actually, I'm going to try the software that came with my Sony camera now, just to see what it's like. It's been sitting in my desk for a few months now so I may as well try it out.

My camera has an icon in the corner to indicate whether the flash will go or not. When set to full auto mode, it will determine when to flash and when not to (more often than not, it does flash). There is a manual override as well. Mine is a Sony and yours is a Canon, but those are some pretty basic principles of digital cameras.

Enjoy!

EDIT: Just tried out the CD that came with the camera I got - not surprisingly, it's Windows and OS 9 only. This on a camera purchased in late 2003, when there were only maybe two models of Macs that would even boot into OS 9 at all. Well, I didn't expect much from Sony. The camera (DSC-U30, a tiny little thing) is fine, but I didn't expect them to update their craptacular free software more than once a year.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Question...did they have S45s there? The S45 takes less noisy pics than the S50...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    You know, I didnt really check to see because I was looking at the Nikon's when the S50's price caught my attention. I was so used to seein the S50 priced at $450 and when I saw it at $329 plus the $70 3 year warranty; I didnt look at anything else.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Here are some indoor test shots I did with the camera. This is my house, the bedrooms are a little messy but the photos are pretty clean I think.

My Crib
  • Reply 9 of 9
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Congrats on your new purchase Messiahtosh!

I've had my Powershot S50 for a few months now and I can tell you that you will LOVE this camera

As much auto and manual control as you like, excellent build quality and superb images!

The software pack is excellent and OS X native.

Enjoy