processor speed menu extra - does it exist?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
working on my AlBook 15/1.25, I find myself constantly twiddling the "processor performance" setting under energy saver; either my lap is too hot or the fans are too loud...

does there exist a menu extra that provides access to this setting?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Dunno about a menu item but Applescript would fit the bill.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Wear pants.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    I prefer to compute naked
  • Reply 4 of 30
    are you that dude that burned his.....
  • Reply 5 of 30
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

are you that dude that burned his.....

• Reply 6 of 30
    i got a AL 15" 1.25 too, and i also feel there is a need for a menuextra that can do that.

since i been doing some simple cocoa programming, just for fun, i decided to learn how to make menuextras, i did learn how to do it, but another problem came up.

i found out that you can switch all options thats in energy saver with the command "pmset" in terminal, so that would be my solution.

"sudo pmset -c reduce 1" will set it to reduced mode for example, the problem is that is has to run as root(hence the "sudo")

i guess what i would have to do it make the menuextra ask for the admin pass when its loaded, but i havnet figured out how to do that yet....

maybe a quick workaround could be setting the setuid bit on pmset??

or adding "pmset" to /etc/sudoers and allowing my own user to run "pmset" without asking for a password..

any more skilled programmer out tehre who knows how to use that built in password asking dialog that many apps use??
  • Reply 7 of 30
    ul1984 why don't you make me a menu bar to control my iSub Or better yet, a program only to control volume so I can lay in my bed with my wireless mouse and control he volume with my scroll wheel instead of having to try and navigate the screen from across the room
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

ul1984 why don't you make me a menu bar to control my iSub Or better yet, a program only to control volume so I can lay in my bed with my wireless mouse and control he volume with my scroll wheel instead of having to try and navigate the screen from across the room

i might be able to do that, but im no good programmer.

first thing is to find out how to control the volume with a terminal command/commands or applescript.

if you find that out, ill give it a try

but im gonna focus on the menuextra first since i need it a lot myself tho.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by dglow

hehe...ewwee! jk
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:

Easy access, eh?
  • Reply 11 of 30
    ast3r3x, i made that change volume thing using the scroll wheel, only way i found out to change the volume was with the apple script command "set volume X" problem is apple script isnt so fast, so its a bit laggy (takes a sec or so before the volume changes, after u scroll)

at least i learned some more cocoa, while writing the little app

give it a try lol, the mouse needs to be above the window and the app most be the front most app, for it to work (its VERY basic, but does what u wanted to, i think)

http://eks.mine.nu/tmp/VolumeScroller.app.tgz
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by ul1984

i got a AL 15" 1.25 too, and i also feel there is a need for a menuextra that can do that.

since i been doing some simple cocoa programming, just for fun, i decided to learn how to make menuextras, i did learn how to do it, but another problem came up.

<snip>

any more skilled programmer out tehre who knows how to use that built in password asking dialog that many apps use??

ul1984, I think it's fantastic that you're looking into the menu extra. this is what online communities are for!

I don't know how to invoke the password dialog, but I'd be happy to investigate - lets PM and discuss further
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by ul1984

ast3r3x, i made that change volume thing using the scroll wheel, only way i found out to change the volume was with the apple script command "set volume X" problem is apple script isnt so fast, so its a bit laggy (takes a sec or so before the volume changes, after u scroll)

at least i learned some more cocoa, while writing the little app

give it a try lol, the mouse needs to be above the window and the app most be the front most app, for it to work (its VERY basic, but does what u wanted to, i think)

http://eks.mine.nu/tmp/VolumeScroller.app.tgz

Thank you so MUCH! Wow, this is fantastic!
  • Reply 14 of 30
    noleli2noleli2 Posts: 129member
    I've looked for utilities in the past that would let me change the volume with a modifier key + scroll wheel. This is the closest thing I've seen so far. If it could be set up as a background process that takes a modifier key it'd be even better. Awesome work! I bet there's a market for something along those lines once it gets a bit more refined.

Also, FYI, you can use the scroll wheel over iTunes volume slider. I just checked and it now works in full-size too, not just small.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    yea the app does work, but its very lame, i would want it to work no matter what application is your front most one, and no matter where you have the mouse cursor.

yea i noticed that iTunes had that too, after i wrote it

anyway, back to the topic question "processor speed menu extra - does it exist? well now it does exist

http://eks.mine.nu/tmp/cpuPerformance.menu.zip

this is alot more refined than the VolumeSlider app, took more time to write too, but it may still have bugs, only tested on my own PowerBook 1.25Ghz, no idea if it works on any other model, but it should

requires MenuCracker or Menu Extra Enabler (i know that if you have MenuMeters, MenuCracker is automatically installed) but here it is: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18022
  • Reply 16 of 30
    ul1984 is the man!

thank you! thank you!

this is exactly what I was looking for... ask and ye shall receive, eh? 8)
  • Reply 17 of 30
    ul1984, while I have your attention, I was wondering if In your spare time you could offer me two requests. One probably easy the other harder. One, could you make your VolumeScroller so that left click does previous and right next (maybe even hold in to skip? this isn't needed but would be nice)

Also...as a separate program, that runs without a GUI, would be nice if you could just put the mouse in the bottom right hand corner of the screen and be able to control the volume with the scrollwheel.

Edit: So much for my reading skills
  • Reply 18 of 30
    ast3r3x, these sound like cool features, but you're asking the wrong person

ul1984 did all the work on both of the apps posted here

• Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:

ast3r3x, these sound like cool features, but you're asking the wrong person

ul1984 did all the work on both of the apps posted here

As I said above, my reading skill suck apparently. Sorry, and I changed it...yeah I'm full of good ideas
  • Reply 20 of 30
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    ul1984 : How did you get started writing the menu extra's ? I'd like to give it a go too, but don't want to fall down from a steep learning curve...