Religion...?

Comments

• Reply 101 of 158
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

first of all, how would we all "turn" male?

women aren't gonna just sprout penises, and men won't magically have holes in their loins, right?

if we were all created the same (all male, or all female) then there would have to be a way to reproduce

What about hermaphrodites? Does anyone know if they have fully functional organs of both sexes?

What if the human race became hermaphroditic, and everyone had fully-functional organs of both sexes?

Think of the problems that would solve. Maybe males and females wouldn't have so much trouble understanding each other if we were all hermaphroditic. Each person in a marriage could bear a child - that is, take turns. Or not, as they chose. (As IF any of 'you' would choose to bear a child. HA! That'd be the day. )

So many men in the real world have contempt for women, especially within the privacy of their relationships. They abuse them verbally and physically. I would imagine that a fair number of guys on this board have contempt for women.

(And some women ARE contemptible. Some are weak, gutless, simpering, dependent, cowardly, and can't stand on their own two feet. Plus they nag, whine and are bitchy. I would have contempt for anyone like that.)

So, does anyone here like 'any' of the good traits of women well enough to want to keep women around? Or would you rather have hermaphrodites with both sets of organs? Presumably, these individuals would have an equal supply of male and female hormones. Let's say half of the hermaphrodites also had breasts. (Certainly wouldn't want to deprive you of that! )

I know this is a stupid question/premise. Oh well. Off-topic, too. Oh well.
  • Reply 102 of 158
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

So, does anyone here like 'any' of the good traits of women well enough to want to keep women around?

Round asses. Self-reproductive or not, if I had to live my life in a house with only my semi-flat man ass around...I'd be doomed.
  • Reply 103 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by xenu

How tolerant of you.

What consenting adults do is none of your business. Never has been, never will be.

Consenting adults don't need your approval, or the church's approval.

Never have, never will.

Homosexual christians will continue to ignore you, those like you, and the church.

Feel free to have your opinion. Don't expect it to matter to anyone but yourself.

I have one vote and that makes it my business. Prostitution is illegal in most places in America, is that not government interfering with what two consenting adults do? If I feel that adultery and fornication are extremely harmful to society than it is my place to oppose such activity. I may or may not be tolerant by your standards, but I am just fine with people having views and opinions that differ from my own. If there are enough people that disagree with me to enact laws contrary to what I want, that's just fine. That's the way the system works and I think the system works pretty darn good.
  • Reply 104 of 158
    Please clarify.
  • Reply 105 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I don't know much about Mormons, but do you guys really believe that the American Indians were the 12th tribe of Israel exiled to North America, along with all that other mythical stuff that is way off the scientifically understood timeline?

I may be way off. I don't know any mormons, so my whole knowledge may be based on a telephone-like game of hearsay.

The answer to your question is no. However we do believe that the principal ancestors of the American Indians came from Jerusalem.

The Book of Mormon is the keystone (top stone in an arch that holds it together) to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. If it is true, we have a lot, if it is not true, we are another Protestant church. The book stands as a witness unto itself and has not been proved either true or false by science. However there is overwhelming evidence that suggests (but does not prove) it is true. The principles and doctrines of Mormonism are the most logical that I have been able to find upon this earth. The Book of Mormon establishes the truthfulness of the Bible and the principles contained therein better than any other book or person I have ever studied. I have studied it out in my mind and I find it to be the most correct religion. I have also received a powerful personal spiritual confirmation as to its truthfulness.

Jesus Christ is the chief corner stone of Mormonism and the foundation of it. The Book of Mormon simply testifies of Christ's life and divinity.

Alexander the Great
  • Reply 106 of 158
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alexander the Great

I have one vote and that makes it my business. Prostitution is illegal in most places in America, is that not government interfering with what two consenting adults do? If I feel that adultery and fornication are extremely harmful to society than it is my place to oppose such activity. I may or may not be tolerant by your standards, but I am just fine with people having views and opinions that differ from my own. If there are enough people that disagree with me to enact laws contrary to what I want, that's just fine. That's the way the system works and I think the system works pretty darn good.

The problem is when you are trying to make laws that restrict the rights of others based on your religious beliefs and you have enough people who agree with you to do so, it is a tyranny of the masses. Slavery was legal centuries ago because a majority of *voting* Southern Americans believed there was nothing wrong with restricting the rights of black people. Hell, you could go through all the Jim Crow laws and say the same thing.

It oversteps my bounds as a human being to tell another human what he or she may or may not ingest or do to his or herself or with or to another consenting adult. Full Stop.

Sodomy is not your business. Prostitution is not your business. Drugs are none of your business. Twinkies and Fatburgers are none of your business...until it DIRECTLY affects you. Drinking and driving or getting coked up and driving DIRECTLY affects you and is rightfully illegal. Drinking in one's own basement or doing a line in one's own basement DOES NOT affect you. A prostitute waving her tits at your car as you drive your family to the theater DIRECTLY affects you. A prostitute being called and going to the privacy of a hotel room with a man or woman DOES NOT affect you.

Get the picture?
  • Reply 107 of 158
    Quote:

The answer to your question is no. However we do believe that the principal ancestors of the American Indians came from Jerusalem.

And the DNA evidence would say you are dead bleeping wrong. Do you say that god faked the DNA evidence as a test of faith?
  • Reply 108 of 158
    Wait a minute. Didn't your friend Joe stare through that glass thingamabob into the sun and get some sort of message from it? Something like "over there...and a bit to the right." Sounds like juju to me...but like you say, "to each his own." Good for you, my friend, finding some teaching you can agree with.
  • Reply 109 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

The problem is when you are trying to make laws that restrict the rights of others based on your religious beliefs and you have enough people who agree with you to do so, it is a tyranny of the masses. Slavery was legal centuries ago because a majority of *voting* Southern Americans believed there was nothing wrong with restricting the rights of black people. Hell, you could go through all the Jim Crow laws and say the same thing.

It oversteps my bounds as a human being to tell another human what he or she may or may not ingest or do to his or herself or with or to another consenting adult. Full Stop.

Sodomy is not your business. Prostitution is not your business. Drugs are none of your business. Twinkies and Fatburgers are none of your business...until it DIRECTLY affects you. Drinking and driving or getting coked up and driving DIRECTLY affects you and is rightfully illegal. Drinking in one's own basement or doing a line in one's own basement DOES NOT affect you. A prostitute waving her tits at your car as you drive your family to the theater DIRECTLY affects you. A prostitute being called and going to the privacy of a hotel room with a man or woman DOES NOT affect you.

Get the picture?

• Reply 110 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

And the DNA evidence would say you are dead bleeping wrong. Do you say that god faked the DNA evidence as a test of faith?

Well, it's nice to hear your view, that I am "dead bleeping wrong." Thanks for your feedback. Concerning the DNA issue. And you have a nice day too.

Alexander the Great
  • Reply 111 of 158
    Quote:

Well, it's nice to hear your view, that I am "dead bleeping wrong." Thanks for your feedback. Concerning the DNA issue. And you have a nice day too.

Alexander the Great

Ok so the Semitic tribe was really Asiatic. I see.

Fear the power of belief to obfuscate the truth. Sorry, but it isn't good science to start with a hypothesis and force the world around it to conform to it.

Please note that tobacco companies for years denied cigarettes had any adverse effects on the health of smokers.
  • Reply 112 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Get the picture?

I respect your opinion on the topic. However, there is nothing wrong with me disagreeing with you. I am of the opinion that adultery and fornication do have a very real and very negative effect on me and my posterity. If morality in America degenerates beyond a certain point, I assure you the effect will be very visible and very direct. To envision such a scenario, take a look at Africa.

Alexander the Great
  • Reply 113 of 158
    Quote:

I respect your opinion on the topic. However, there is nothing wrong with me disagreeing with you. I am of the opinion that adultery and fornication do have a very real and very negative effect on me and my posterity. If morality in America degenerates beyond a certain point, I assure you the effect will be very visible and very direct. To envision such a scenario, take a look at Africa.

Alexander the Great

If prostitution were legal, disease spread through prostitution would drop like a rock. It is BECAUSE it is underground that disease is currently spread through it.
  • Reply 114 of 158
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xenu

Feel free to have your opinion. Don't expect it to matter to anyone but yourself.

Same to you.
  • Reply 115 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

If prostitution were legal, disease spread through prostitution would drop like a rock. It is BECAUSE it is underground that disease is currently spread through it.

Again, that's a nice opinion that you have. I again disagree. However, if it could be proven that the legalization of prostitution would dramatically reduce the spread of STDs, I'd probably support such a move. I would change my position for two reasons. First, less STDs is beneficial to society. Second, less STDs is a sign of less adultery and fornication, thus a more moral society. I would love to have a society where people were already moral. If that were the case than there would be less need for legislation that restricts destructive behavior. However, because we do not live in a completely moral society; in order to protect me and my posterity against a wide scale epidemic, I feel that it is necessary to restrict some behavior.

Alexander the Great
  • Reply 116 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Exactly.

The thing is, once it's legal, businesses would immediately start popping up that can openly operate and require health inspections on their prostitutes. Not only would the underhanded pimps be out of a job, but the prostitution business would be more responsible for the quality of its product.
  • Reply 117 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

Exactly.

The thing is, once it's legal, businesses would immediately start popping up that can openly operate and require health inspections on their prostitutes. Not only would the underhanded pimps be out of a job, but the prostitution business would be more responsible for the quality of its product.

That is a very difficult and dangerous point to prove. However, if such legislation could be made to work extremely well in enough states, I likely would support similar nation wide legislation. I don't see that happening any time soon, but if it did, that would be great. I would not want to test such a theory in my own state.

Alexander the Great
  • Reply 118 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Just for the purpose of clarification on your last point:

Not all those who call themselves Christian ascribe to the particular views that you set out with respect to fornication and homosexual relations, neither do the doctrines of their particular churches. It is important for you and others to recognize this. I am always taken aback when people, both certain Christians and many non-religious persons, represent such views as being synonymous with a Christian identification.

Actually, I don?t recall seeing in the Bible that Jesus spent much time condemning homosexual relations or sex without marriage.

The view that adultery, fornication, and homosexual intercourse are sins is a fundamental Christian concept. There may be some Christian denominations that differ on these points, but that does not change the fundamentals of Christianity.

Alexander the Great
  • Reply 119 of 158
    Quote:

That is a very difficult and dangerous point to prove. However, if such legislation could be made to work extremely well in enough states, I likely would support similar nation wide legislation. I don't see that happening any time soon, but if it did, that would be great. I would not want to test such a theory in my own state.

Alexander the Great

If you take away a black market, it reduces the dangers of the product.

The same can be said with drugs. So much crime is caused by the profitability of selling drugs on the streets. Gang turf wars are about drug territories. Smuggling is dangerous but too profitable.

Solution? Take away the black market. Legalize the drugs. Immediately the prison system is unclogged. Immediately it is no longer profitable to sell drugs on the street when you can get guaranteed quality at a decent price legally at a liquor store. Gang warfare suddenly loses much of its motivation. Inner cities become a safer place.
  • Reply 120 of 158
    Quote:

The view that adultery, fornication, and homosexual intercourse are sins is a fundamental Christian concept. There may be some Christian denominations that differ on these points, but that does not change the fundamentals of Christianity.

Alexander the Great

Classic mind control. Make a basic natural desire against god and you get people feeling guilty over their natural state of being so they are forced to turn to the collective group for support.