CD Stuck in PB12" drive

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've loaded a CD into the drive but it wasn't seen by the finder and therefore I can't eject it in the normal way.

I can't find the usual manual paperclip hole?

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking about a restart with mouse button held down.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Hold down mouse button (trackpad button) on restart should do the trick. If not, restart in open firmware mode (apple+option+o+f) and type "eject CD" without the quotes, than type "reboot" again without the quotes. One of those two should do the trick.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by dnisbet

I've loaded a CD into the drive but it wasn't seen by the finder and therefore I can't eject it in the normal way.

I can't find the usual manual paperclip hole?

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking about a restart with mouse button held down.

There's no hole to the right of the slot?

KnowledgeBase article
  • Reply 3 of 6
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

There's no hole to the right of the slot?

KnowledgeBase article

I looked at that article before I posted, the diagram is of a tiBook, I can't see a similar hole on the 12
  • Reply 4 of 6
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    OK i've tried everything and now the laptop won't boot up. It gets all the way to launching the gui (I have it in verbose startup mode) but just stops there with the multicoloured beachball.

I don't really know what to do here. The CD is still stuck, I can hear the computer spin up the drive on startup. During startup I can see that it knows the disk is there, but it just fails to mount it.

My only thought is linking it to another mac in firewire target disk mode to do a reinstall. Not sure i want to do that though and the CD would still be stuck.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    I think the CD should pop out before any real action is taken by the computer.

Have you seen this article?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

I think the CD should pop out before any real action is taken by the computer.

Have you seen this article?

it's ok. all sorted now, managed to get the cd out with open firmware then it started up fine.