Safari 1.2 in Software Update

Comments

• Reply 61 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I'm not the master at OS X troubleshooting, but have you tried fixing permissions and updating the prebinding? Sometimes that speeds things up. Oh, and delete caches too.

I reset Safari every time I quit. Just a force of habit. m.
  • Reply 62 of 87
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Hm, people might want to try restarting or logging out. I know with OS updates, weird things can happen on the first restart that a second one mysteriously solves. This might qualify as one of those weird occasions. (And as often happens on those occasions, my colors switched to thousands on the first restart.)

Typing this is fine for me, no text or typing problems, Cocoa Gestures work OK, and pages do load faster, but in my case it's the difference between extremely fast to slightly more extremely fast on my Optimum Online connection.

I also noticed that with Safari 1.2, when you click on a link to the iTMS, it now automatically closes the new window that pops up momentarily. Before, it just hung around with nothing in it until the user closed it. I wonder if works for PDFs and other non-inline (out-line?) content too?

Also some controls are now mini widgets. That ugly bear of a site, ESPN.com is an example -- look for the pop-up lists for team pages for example.
  • Reply 63 of 87
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    I am not having issues besides occasional text field slowdowns.
  • Reply 64 of 87
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Text is ridiculously slow. They have to fix this problem this week. WTF with QC. Also the Bars have visual glitches. I could see the tops of buttons after collapsing, and the Bookmarks bar wouldn't come back until I closed the window. And you still can not UNDO text, so if you delete everything you just typed here then you're ****ed.
  • Reply 65 of 87
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I don't notice any text lagging while typing things in. As far as the bookmarks bar and tabs, nothing has changed there, either. Of course, I DO show tabs all the time.

And it seems to me that the animations in the smilies run FASTER than before. \
  • Reply 66 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

SO... any way to get 1.2 to work with Jaguar?

I wouldn't worry too much about that at the moment. The cons outweigh the pros for the time being, I fear.
  • Reply 67 of 87
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Funny, the *only* drawback I've had is the slow text response.

If I weren't so conditioned against rebooting now, I'd do that to see if it fixed it.
  • Reply 68 of 87
    Some website scripts still don't work. You can try the 'funny tests' in Netscape's men channel. Those work fine under Camino or Firebird. If either of those was as fast as Safari, I wouldn't have to install 2 browsers on my machine.\
  • Reply 69 of 87
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

There are two things that I have noticed with this new version. One is the overall size of the Safari app itself. Version 1.1.1 was something like 2.9mb, whereas 1.2 is 14.6mb.

The 1.1.1 you had probably didn't include more than one language - 1.2 includes them all.
  • Reply 70 of 87
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

I don't think so, but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

The server needs to support resumable downloads.
  • Reply 71 of 87
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Here is a new one. Tabs can have scrolling text! Found this by accident and I don't remember safari doing this before.
  • Reply 72 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

The server needs to support resumable downloads.

Interesting.

I thought Apple's download servers would support it, though...

So why did the download resume sometimes, (i.e. when I was testing to see if it worked), but not all of the time, (i.e. when I needed it to work)?

It doesn't make sense.

Oh, I noticed what makes the text typing slower when replying on these boards. It's okay when the smilies are out of view, but if they are in view, then it becomes slower. Bad threading, if you ask me... m.
  • Reply 73 of 87
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Funny, the *only* drawback I've had is the slow text response.

What is this slow text response? I seriously haven't seen anything yet...
  • Reply 74 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

What is this slow text response?

Compare:

Safari 1.2

OmniWeb 5 Beta

It's a problem regardless of whether you're a typer of fast or moderate speed.

Specifically, the problem is with the animation of the smilies below. They eat up WAAAAY too much CPU in Safari and cause the slowdown of the text input. Just see the below graph for my CPUs. In the first half, Safari is just sitting on this reply page. About half-way though, I hide Safari (and thus the animation).

http://brad.project-think.com/images...U-safari12.png

That's just sitting there and not typing or clicking or moving anything. Bad form, Apple. Yikes.
  • Reply 75 of 87
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Good call Brad, I got the slowdown when I made a reply in AI with Safari earlier. So I checked a couple of other web sites with text entry and didnt notice anything slow.

Ah ha, you were so right, it has nothing to do with caching, if I scroll down so I can see the smilies as I type this post, then typing slows to a crawl, if I scroll back up so they're off the screen its normal again. Could we have an option to disable the smily pane ?
  • Reply 76 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

Could we have an option to disable the smily pane ?

Afraid not. It's either smilies on the page or no smilies for anyone anywhere.

Besides, it's just a Safari problem. If we all send bug reports (which, I trust everyone with this problem is), there should be a fix for it in the works. The way I see it, we should all be using OmniWeb 5 pretty soon anyway.
  • Reply 77 of 87
    hmm, I've been to forums that have the most popular smilies(and mostly non-animated ones) displayed, but then the rest are under a small "click here" link.

perhaps AI could have ALL the smilies put under such a link. "click here for smilies"

or just move to vB v3.0, two forums I use that have upgraded and have the smilies right next to the text field don't slow down so much.

duur, I just went and checked out these forums again, the fastest one has no moving smilies, and the other one has only 4 moving smilies visible and is only barely faster than here.
  • Reply 78 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ringo20000

Anyone else having problems with tabs? Sometimes they work right but sometimes they replace my current browser window with a new blank one. Also typing this is very slow and I only have iChat and Mail running which I always do.

Edit: I just realized it is actually making the tab but not putting the tab bar under the bookmark bar so I can't change windows, but when I control-w I go to the lower tab.

Finally! You're the first person I've found who has the same problem. I figured I was doing something wrong.

It seems like it works fine once the tab bar has been activated, but without that, it's hit or miss. The workaround, for now, has been to always have the tab bar visible, even when I am working with just one window.
  • Reply 79 of 87
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I tried to replicate the slow typing and it's just NOT doing it. There might be an *ever so slight* lag when the animated smilies are showing, but it's negligable and doesn't concern me. Is this what you all are talking about?

I also am not having any problems with tabs. Could one of you more clearly explain what your problem is. What EXACTLY are you doing to cause it to do that?
  • Reply 80 of 87
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Don't you have a G5?

Not releasing Safari for 10.2 let alone 10.1 is pulling a Microsoft. I was betting 1.2 would be for both.