american vs. british english - the most hilarious ...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
... or particularily most embarrassing situation, that ever happend to you by simply misunderstanding and or misconcepting a word or a sentence, or what the word/sentence supposed to mean?

For instance, when i heard "Cake hole" the very first time

i was pretty much shocked, a father said to his 7 yrs old daughter: "shut your clunging cake hole!" Firstly I have understood a pretty nasty thing, i won't repeat (let your fantasy roll). Later on i learned it just means "Could you please be quiet?" "Cake hole" basically means your mouth.

best

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member

i have problems understanding the british ..

anyway. i kept using the word "aubergine" .. so i cooked aubergines and my bf was wtf .. i prefer the sound of aubergine to egg plant.

i bought courgettes last week. courgettes???!!!? nope, i bought zucchini but the sainsbury's packet says cougettes in top of it.

my cutie had a funny face when i told my moggies missed him .. so had no clue of what is a moggy?

maybe i shoudl make a british AI signature .. my moggy ate steve's aubergines? or something like that. they do like aubergines, when i've cooked 'em ...
  • Reply 2 of 82
    Clunging?? I was regularly told to shut my cake hole, hmmmm Granny cake. Ok back on topic, a good recent example is Janet Jackson's half-time half show. I read a few Americans talking about seeing her pasties, which to me conjured up images of a West Country savoury pastry being attached to her breast somehow. I suspect most hilarity arises over words like fanny and bum that we have divergent uses for.
  • Reply 3 of 82
    Well, did you hear the Newgate Gaol about the jam roll who laid a Richard the Third, in the cat and mouse up the apples and pears?

Also, yesterday me skin and blister left her mikkel becks next to her knobbly knees which fell on the Rory O'Moore.

Well, it seems that I'm either telling porky pies, or I'm just full of two bob bit. m.
  • Reply 4 of 82
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    I'd like smoke a fag.

This means something very different in the US to UK.
  • Reply 5 of 82
    Hehehehe..... I like the uk version of fanny! and I wear my pants under my trousers! 'Does make me laugh that the good ol' US of A are actually now trying to steal the English Language... US english & international english ROTFLMFAO!!!! English is english, words are contributed from all over the world, but it is still one language.
  • Reply 6 of 82
    Crusti, I remember staying up very late for the return of the U.S hostages from Iran back in the day. One of the released was interviewed on the apron and said " there aren't words in the American language to describe how I feel" and I thought, no there clunging well aren't and turned off my telly and went to bed.
  • Reply 7 of 82
    bought a new car shortly after moving to the u.s/san diego

and....offered to show my female colleague my dickey )

dickey in brit english is the trunk...

....she did turn a nice shade of pink though
  • Reply 8 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by madmax559

dickey in brit english is the trunk...

Never heard this before, are you sure the person who told you this wasn't taking the piss?
  • Reply 9 of 82
    A dickey was the fold-out seat in carriages and old autos. We call the trunk, the boot, apologies for it not sounding like a slang word for the penis but some things slip through.
  • Reply 10 of 82
    The one thing I'll never understand is how "Tuna" becomes "Chooner."
  • Reply 11 of 82
    What about the phrase, "Wanna shag?" Now that can be a dance floor complication. lol
  • Reply 12 of 82
    It's tchooner innit? What about herb becoming 'erb? Or human becoming yuman? Or the disappearing "I" in aluminium- aloominum? Or route becoming rout? (Something which is of great annoyance to a very dear, quite old, friend in New Hampshire ) I'm not that bothered really, so I'll be off to lie down in a dark place now, peace and love to all.
  • Reply 13 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

I'd like smoke a fag.

This means something very different in the US to UK.

Can I bum a fag off you?
  • Reply 14 of 82
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    We devoted a good deal of a thread a few months ago to warn against casual use of the term "cottaging" when visiting the U.K - a term which, here in Canada, would mean nothing more than the practice of going to one's cottage (i.e. cabin or country home beside a lake).
  • Reply 15 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by skyeyed

What about the phrase, "Wanna shag?"

A friend of mine (from Boston) lived in London a few years ago. She got a job working behind the bar in a pub, and towards the end of her first night was asked by one of the regulars if she "fancied a shag"...she assumed that he was talking about a shot of some kind and surprised him by replying "sure!" (I don't think she shagged him though).
  • Reply 16 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

It's tchooner innit? What about herb becoming 'erb? Or human becoming yuman? Or the disappearing "I" in aluminium- aloominum? Or route becoming rout? (Something which is of great annoyance to a very dear, quite old, friend in New Hampshire ) I'm not that bothered really, so I'll be off to lie down in a dark place now, peace and love to all.

Yeah, and mom? That's just weird. It's spelt M-U-M. Mum.

Tsk tsk tsk...

And I think it looks weird when you spell the word honour, and others like it without a u in it.

Meh... m.
  • Reply 17 of 82
    Of course cake hole means your mouth, where else would you put a cake?!?
  • Reply 18 of 82
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    You blokes need to learn strine.

Aussie english runs rings around the olde mother tongue.

Here are a few more family safe phrases.

Who's shout is it.? ( asking for beer )

Chook raffle ( chicken lottery )

Shiela ( woman )

Up the duff ( pregnant )

"Struth yer all flamin galahs". ( idiots)

"Strike me pink." ( shock)

"Like a dingo in a dunny " (unwelcome)

"Fair suck of the sav" (be fair)

How ya goin ya ol bastard. ?

( best way to greet a good mate )

Bonza.. (great)

Drongo ( fool )

Cockies ( farmers)

Aqua
  • Reply 19 of 82
    I do have to give a big thumbs up to the aussie lingo. I was there for a few months a long time ago. What a fun place.
  • Reply 20 of 82
    marsmars Posts: 51member
    Aren't Galahs and cockies, cockatoos?