A nice little iPod tip...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
i'm sure this has been mentioned before, but i read this the other day, tried it, and it has helped. plug in your ipod, then open up disk utility (in panther). select your ipod, then verify and repair the disk. the hard drive seems much snappier now, and things like notes tend to load much faster. i have yet to experience any sort of delay when skipping tracks using the arrow button. like i said, this might be old, but it helped me, so i thought i'd share.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i'm sure this has been mentioned before, but i read this the other day, tried it, and it has helped. plug in your ipod, then open up disk utility (in panther). select your ipod, then verify and repair the disk. the hard drive seems much snappier now, and things like notes tend to load much faster. i have yet to experience any sort of delay when skipping tracks using the arrow button. like i said, this might be old, but it helped me, so i thought i'd share.

Thanks
  • Reply 2 of 14
    i've done this a few times before, and you're right, it does make things snappier
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Cool tip. I checked it out and Disk Utility reported that the disk needed repaired...here's hoping for the best.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Never thought of it. I think I'll try it (not like anything will be lost forever).
  • Reply 5 of 14
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Great tip. Thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    hey i just realized that this recalibrated my battery meter!!! it actually says that i have a full battery!!!
  • Reply 7 of 14
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    How are the two things (disk check & battery meter) even remotely connected? My iPod battery meter used to be on the fritz but seems started working last week for some reason.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

How are the two things (disk check & battery meter) even remotely connected? My iPod battery meter used to be on the fritz but seems started working last week for some reason.

i dunno... maybe theres something on the disk that helps regulate the battery meter... disk util. repaired something, and i have no idea what, but this is the first time my battery meter has shown 'full' in about 3 months.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    I never thought of trying Disk Utility with my iPod either. Thanks for the tip! It fixed some file allocation errors!

So ummm what happens if you use Disk Utility to reformat an iPod? Can you do partitions? I'm not brave enough to try (not to mention I'd have to re-install a ton of music on it), just curious. I assume the iPod OS is in firmware.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by dviant

I never thought of trying Disk Utility with my iPod either. Thanks for the tip! It fixed some file allocation errors!

So ummm what happens if you use Disk Utility to reformat an iPod? Can you do partitions? I'm not brave enough to try (not to mention I'd have to re-install a ton of music on it), just curious. I assume the iPod OS is in firmware.

well if it all goes to hell just do a software restore.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dviant

AFAIK, you'll irreparably damage your iPod so don't do it. If you want to "reformat" use the software restore utility.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I don't believe it's 'irreparable', just follow up with the iPod Software Restore if it fubars it. That does a complete format anyway, as I recall.

And if it *does* mangle it beyond iPod Software Restore's ability to repair, use Disk Utility to repartition it into one partition, then run iPSR on it again.

I can't imagine that it would be 'irreparable'... it's just a hard drive, after all.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    So is this something you would want to do with a brand new, hardly used iPod? Will it help it with functionality, right off the bat?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

So is this something you would want to do with a brand new, hardly used iPod? Will it help it with functionality, right off the bat?

it doesnt matter if you do it to a new ipod or not. it's not gonna be a noticeable difference for a new one though. i used my ipod for about 7 months before doing this, and i transferred lots of video on the hard drive too. so, in short, if you wanna try it, go for it, but its not gonna do anything. wait a few months...