Online Banking using Safari?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In the near future I'll be looking for a bank (U.S.) for online banking and I think I'll start here to get some answers first. My question is: Which bank BEST supports Safari as far as online bill payments and banking in general? As of now, most of them require a 128-bit encryption web browser which Safari has but it seems like they want Internet Explorer using a PC. Which banks are Apple friendly? ...tia

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    I use Wachovia (First Union) with no problems.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    I use Wells Fargo and have had no problems using Safari 1.2 with their online checking and bill pay.

- G in the S
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

Same here.

My girlfriend uses Navy FCU without any problems too.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Bank One seems to work just fine.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Same here.

My girlfriend uses Navy FCU without any problems too.

I don't think he can join NFCU.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    cyloncylon Posts: 126member
    Bank of America works fine for me.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    I've had no problems with the North Carolina State Employees' Credit Union, though I doubt that helps you much.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Fleet is fine on Safari too.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    My problem is not with the bank - wamu - but with Quicken which will not support Safari downloads.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasbuff

My problem is not with the bank - wamu - but with Quicken which will not support Safari downloads.

I use td in canada with safari and so far all is good, and it is not "officially supported."

In regards to quicken and safari... i have to download my .qfm files to the desktop and then from quicken i choose "open web connect" from the file menu and then select the .qfm i downloaded.

Works great, but it is an extra step compared to what i could do on the PC.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Been online banking for years, I belong to a Small Credit Union located in San Francisco, where I used to live, and I now live in Southern California. I use ATM machines, with affiliated credit Unions to make deposits. All in all its been very smooth. (Could have direct deposit, but I'm self employed, so that seems kinda silly)

As far as being out of the country, there may be a few documents to fill out. But my motto for the subject is to go with the best bang for the buck. Also the Credit Unions are usually, kinder on the fee structure. The problem is that they are harder to join...

Have fun in your quest.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Thanks everybody for all the replies! It seems like a lot of banks support Safari/Apple. But there was only one person that mentioned a bank that was kind of close to me that was Cylon -- Bank of America...which gave me hope! I was really looking for somebody who uses PNC bank which is really close to where I live. I did call them about an hour ago and the lady said "yes" we do support Apple/Safari web browser. Does anybody use PNC online banking/bill paying....any problems with PNC bank? The other 2 banks that are near are; National City and US Bank. Any comments on these online banks will be appreciated a lot. Thanks again for all the replies!
  • Reply 13 of 28
    I forgot to ask the following question which is; Do these banks offer totally free online banking? Is there a hidden fee somewhere or a minimum balance that you have to have in the checking account? ...tia
  • Reply 14 of 28
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    PNC works for me in Safari. (free online banking)

My cell bills to my discover which i pay online from a checking account which receives payroll deposits from my employer who receives their money from...

Soon, there will be people walking around who have never payed with a physical check via mail...
  • Reply 15 of 28
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Wells Fargo works fine here.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

They do but I've been having problems with the paying my credit card through them.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Dfiler, that's great news...just what I wanted to hear! I was just wondering, how secure is online bill paying/banking AND how much are you liable for IF someone hacks into your checking/bank account? I know this is unlikely but you never know these days??
  • Reply 18 of 28
    I think I just found my answers by surfin' the PNC web site as far as security of online banking....

http://www.pncbank.com/personal_fina...0,4542,00.html

This sounds good!
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by cylon

Bank of America works fine for me.

Worky 4 me 2.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I find the Bank of america pages a bit weird, but that's by design, not because of what browser you're using. I have an auto loan through them, and their sign-in is a little persnickety about what state you're in, stupidly suggesting (or at least they used to) that you use your SS# as your user name (which still has to be numbers even if you change it), etc. Once you get past the sign-in voodoo though, all is well.