1.4 Ghz G4s.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Moki seemed pretty sure that Apple was getting 1.4Ghz G4s from Motorola real soon. Because of that, many people are disappointed that the PowerMacs only go up to 1.25Ghz.

Well, I'm not inclined to believe that Moki was just making this up, and I certainly don't buy into the theory that Apple is "holding back" to milk us for all we're worth.

So, what's up with these 1.4Ghz chips?

Well, here's a thought: What needs to be faster than a PowerMac?

An Xserve.

Maybe the 1.4 Ghz chips aren't available in the quantities and prices Apple needs to use them in a PowerMac, but they would still be good for the higher-priced Xserve assuming the heat could be managed.

If that is the case, it would also open the door for Powermacs to use the 1.4Ghz chips later on when the prices and costs come down somewhat. You have to remember that high quantities of processors are needed when the machines are all duals. If the 1.4 chips exist, there probably just aren't enough for a high-selling machine like the PowerMac.

And before people complain about steve being a milkman, consider the price increases on the new PowerMacs. Obviously these new chips are expensive. I know Moto tends to charge hundreds of dollars for their high-end processors. 2 1.25Ghz chips may very well cost around $1000 just for the processors, and it would be impractical to use them in a desktop right now, especially if the high end PowerMac will already smoke a P4 2.5Ghz according to Adobe.

One good thing about PowerMacs going dual is that it allows iMacs to move above 1Ghz because the iMacs and PowerMacs can have a single/dual differentiation, thus keeping the two product lines from clashing. So, I'd expect to see some faster iMacs down the road, but it may still remain an issue of cost and supply and the PowerMacs are going to get the "supply" until Moto can improve their yields.

Ditto on the PowerBooks.

Thus, the ibooks will have some headroom too.

Maybe we'll see dual 1.4Ghz Xserve boxes soon?

By the way, what bus speed would a 1.4Ghz processor use? 200Mhz? That would be nice, because they really should get that bus multiplier down around 5 if they can.

Maybe 1.4Ghz would actually be 1.417Ghz and stay on the 167 bus? *shrug*

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I think the Xserve can keep the dual 1.0GHz for now since mid-range server hardware need not be cutting edge but reliable. Also consider heat issues. So if these 1.4GHz G4's are really made on a 130nm process and output the same amount of heat as the 1.0GHz then it might be a good fit for the Xserve (and Powerbook for that matter). But also remember that there will be 1.2, 1.0 GHz versions of the 130nm G4s that would even be a better fit for the Xserve.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Let's suppose that 1.4 GHz chips are available, but not in large enough quantities for dual cpu Macs.

Then what's better, a 1.4 GHz Powermac, or a dual 1.25 GHz Powermac? I'll take the dual.

Also, what if Apple blows their wad on the 1.4 GHz G4, and then Moto get's "stuck" again forever? That means no upgrades for the Powermacs until the IBM CPU. Not a good position to be in.

1.25 is fine for marketing purposes, double it and it's 2.5 GHz, same as the Pentium 4 is currently. I know it doesn't work that way, but most MHz-freaks will think it does.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Why does the Xserve need high-Mhz chips? Surely what it needs is fast disks, a lot of RAM, and highly reliable parts. Nobody's doing Photoshop filters on it.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>Let's suppose that 1.4 GHz chips are available, but not in large enough quantities for dual cpu Macs.

Then what's better, a 1.4 GHz Powermac, or a dual 1.25 GHz Powermac? I'll take the dual.

Also, what if Apple blows their wad on the 1.4 GHz G4, and then Moto get's "stuck" again forever? That means no upgrades for the Powermacs until the IBM CPU. Not a good position to be in.

1.25 is fine for marketing purposes, double it and it's 2.5 GHz, same as the Pentium 4 is currently. I know it doesn't work that way, but most MHz-freaks will think it does.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, that's close to what I was saying, but I was suggesting that if there aren't enough 1.4 chips for a PowerMac yet, they could use them in an Xserve since that is a lower-selling computer than the powermac.

Also, to someone else's question about what an Xserve would do with 1.4Ghz CPUs... Uh, Render Farm?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    jkbjkb Posts: 18member
    After I wasted an hour of my life this morning reading about/window shopping the new G4s, I gave my friend, who is in the know, a call. As with everything on this board, you can take it with a grain of salt, but based on what he's told me in the past I'm inclined to believe it.

Rough time-line for the PowerMacs:

1) 4 - 5 months from now (Dec 02/Jan 03), speed bump, all duals at 1Ghz, 1.2Ghz and 1.4Ghz

2) 4 - 5 after that (Apr 03/May 03), speed bump, all duals at 1.2Ghz, 1.4Ghz, and 1.6Ghz

3) 4 - 5 months after that (Aug 03/Sept 03) new system with the new IBM chip.

Each of these bumps should also introduce additional technology: FireWire 2, Airport 2 and BlueTooth (expect this on the PowerBook first) and other refinements of the motherboard. He doesn't expect to see USB 2. Apple wants to rev the PowerMacs more often but do so in a way that gives it some breathing room in case of Moto delays/kill time till the new chip is ready for production.

The 1.4Ghz chip was not released today because of issues in producing enough. The second bump listed above could have up to 1.8Ghz on the high end, but don't expect a 2 Ghz G4. Expect the PowerMacs to remain duals from here on out as to give Apple room to bump the Powerbooks, iMacs, eMacs and iBooks (probably not G4s till MacWorld Toyko 03).

He doesn't know much more than anyone else about the IBM chip other than what's already out. That information is still out of reach for him. From what he has heard, it won't be called the G5. Apple Marketing is currently mulling a new, exciting name for it other than "POWER 4 derivative".

jkb
  • Reply 6 of 17
    The only thing i see happening to the Xserve is going all dual...

Perhaps sometime around Dec/Jan...we'll see this.

Dual 1Ghz- Low end.

Dual 1.25BGhz- High end

both with 167mhz bus.

*shrug*

maybe......
  • Reply 7 of 17
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    [quote]Originally posted by rogue27:

<strong>Moki seemed pretty sure that Apple was getting 1.4Ghz G4s from Motorola real soon. Because of that, many people are disappointed that the PowerMacs only go up to 1.25Ghz.

Well, I'm not inclined to believe that Moki was just making this up, and I certainly don't buy into the theory that Apple is "holding back" to milk us for all we're worth.

So, what's up with these 1.4Ghz chips?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, what I said was that Apple was supposed to take shipment of 1.4ghz G4s sometime in August, but it is possible MOT could be late with the shipment (given their track record, it wouldn't surprise me one bit).

Also once Apple gets them, they can't just stuff 'em in a box and ship 'em, it doesn't work like that.

I'm guessing that MOT hasn't delivered the G4s to Apple yet (indeed, the expecting date of shipment hasn't even passed yet), I bet they won't get 'em to Apple on time, and even after that, it takes some time to test, ramp up, etc.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Could a 1.4Ghz be the starting point for a .13u G4 ???

There has been some Moto production re-assignment. The shrink to .13u is supposed to net a 30% improvement.

1.25 is just a clock multiplier away from 1.4

If Mot can push .18u to 1.25, 1.4 seems to be a reasonable starting point for a significantly smaller process.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    kinda OT:

Man, 166.67 FSB gives some seriously weird GHz multipliers:

1.000, 1.083, 1.167, 1.250, 1.333, 1.417, 1.500, 1.583, 1.667, 1.750, 1.833, 1.917, 2.000

Jet
  • Reply 10 of 17
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jet Powers:

<strong>kinda OT:

Man, 166.67 FSB gives some seriously weird GHz multipliers:

1.000, 1.083, 1.167, 1.250, 1.333, 1.417, 1.500, 1.583, 1.667, 1.750, 1.833, 1.917, 2.000

Jet</strong><hr></blockquote>

Typically bus multipliers stop jumping in .5 increments once they get past 8.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    [quote]Originally posted by jkb:

<strong>

1) 4 - 5 months from now (Dec 02/Jan 03), speed bump, all duals at 1Ghz, 1.2Ghz and 1.4Ghz

2) 4 - 5 after that (Apr 03/May 03), speed bump, all duals at 1.2Ghz, 1.4Ghz, and 1.6Ghz

3) 4 - 5 months after that (Aug 03/Sept 03) new system</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is a completely believable outline, and one that Moto has a chance to actually meet. I'm buying now and trading up to the IBM-based machine in 12-18 months... I just can't live with my ancient machine any longer!
  • Reply 12 of 17
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    It seems to me that the 1.25 Ghz chip is the old 1 GHz (1.66/1.33= 1.25 GHz) does this mean MOT hasn't came up with a higher speed chip since January? I too want a 1.25 GHz except they don't come out til the end of September, bummer.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    [quote]Originally posted by jkb:

<strong>

Rough time-line for the PowerMacs:

3) 4 - 5 months after that (Aug 03/Sept 03) new system with the new IBM chip.

jkb</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah i don't think so

[ 08-14-2002: Message edited by: O and A ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 17
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Can anyone tell if the MB is the same as the one on Ebay?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    OH SHIT! :eek: EVERYTHING LINES UP!! 2 ATA controllers and everything! Well, except the mystery port.

[ 08-14-2002: Message edited by: Ebby ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 17
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The mystery port was an AV port like the one you find on iMacs and iBooks...nothing spectacular. It was there for obscure testing purposes.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member

yeah its similar alright