The next desktop chip will not include I/O. (not confirmed)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
It was not a surprise for me to see that the next powermac, was based upon the mobo of the Xserve, the surprise was just that they choose the 333 mhz DDRAM. Like everyone else will say here the mpx bus is a huge limitation, and this mobo will able to take advantage of a new chip as soon he will arrive.



Most of us will agree that basically there is good chance that the new mobo is ready for the job : just change the daughter card. And if you change just the daughter card, there is no need of I/O because the new chipset is making the job efficiently already (see the benchmarks of the Xserve). So the new chip will have no I/O stuff : and therefore i don't see the interest of a G5 for the job (the G5 is supposed to have I/O like the MPC 8450).



There is two possibilities for the next chip : a last evolution of the G4 with a new bus controller, or a new chip from IBM.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,255member
    I'm not sure there's a chip in the works that will reach across the whole platform like the G4. The benefits of G4s are going to be hard to replace. We can go brute strength but that's not going to fly for iMacs and iBooks. Looks like we'll be moving to a G5 on the high end and G4 everywhere else.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    So if the new chipset takes I/O away from the CPU, surely we can use a MPC8450 and simply ignore it's built in I/O but benefit from its DDR?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

    <strong>I'm not sure there's a chip in the works that will reach across the whole platform like the G4. The benefits of G4s are going to be hard to replace. We can go brute strength but that's not going to fly for iMacs and iBooks. Looks like we'll be moving to a G5 on the high end and G4 everywhere else.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    This is more a question of semantic : when i see i do not see G5, i said i do not see the G5 discribed by Mot in the microprocessor forum a chip with a new core, I/O stuff .... But we can see a chip made By Mot who will be the last evolution of the G4 family : a 7455 with a DDR memory controller and some others little improvements. But this chip will not refer to the description of the G5 of the Mot Roadmap.

    In a another way there is a chance that the new chip will be made by IBM and will have more room to scale and evolve in the future. And perhaps we will see in some month : let's say january the last evolution of the G4 and for MWNY the new chip from IBM.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by Blackcat:

    <strong>So if the new chipset takes I/O away from the CPU, surely we can use a MPC8450 and simply ignore it's built in I/O but benefit from its DDR?</strong><hr></blockquote>



    yes but it will a waste of transistors, what do you prefer have a new fpu unit a better cache, or a bunch of transistors that are useless ?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    I'd prefer a better CPU... such as the POWER5
  • Reply 6 of 8
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by Blackcat:

    <strong>I'd prefer a better CPU... such as the POWER5 </strong><hr></blockquote>



    Good answer Blackcat.



    PS : blackcat are supposed to bring chance in UK , and there is a restaurant named the blackcat in London, where if you are 13 peoples in a table, they bring a black cat to make the 14 guest.



    In France, blackcat are supposed to bring bad luck, but i did not share this opinion , i love all cats ...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

    <strong>I'm not sure there's a chip in the works that will reach across the whole platform like the G4. The benefits of G4s are going to be hard to replace. We can go brute strength but that's not going to fly for iMacs and iBooks. Looks like we'll be moving to a G5 on the high end and G4 everywhere else.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    100%*** agreement, and a none-to-shabby potential line-up to boot!



    You could definitely get me to look twice at a 166FSB 333DDR iMac or PowerBook, especially if they put a big L2/L3 and a die shrink in there (for the PB)



    ***edit: this agreement is conditional on what you mean by G5. I'm not endorsing 8540 or IBM power whatever, by G5 I only mean the thing that end's up replacing the G4 for pro desktop use. I expect it to be faster, hotter and hungrier than the rest of the line-up.



    [ 08-13-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 8
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    [quote]Originally posted by Powerdoc:

    <strong>



    PS : blackcat are supposed to bring chance in UK , and there is a restaurant named the blackcat in London, where if you are 13 peoples in a table, they bring a black cat to make the 14 guest.



    In France, blackcat are supposed to bring bad luck, but i did not share this opinion , i love all cats ...</strong><hr></blockquote>



    In my opinion, cats and France are both amazing )
Sign In or Register to comment.