Get out of your car and walk

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Not that I'd imagine some of you wanting to do it with the bad weather your getting. But it seems to me, that walking is a really nice cheap exercise that saves on gas, saves the environment and probably helps the old ticker..( heart ).

I find walking helps to clear the cobwebs and as much as I like bikes, it doesn't give anyway as much calory burn off.

So walking it is.

Besides " solvitor Ambulando " is a good idea.

Aqua

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Not that I'd imagine some of you wanting to do it with the bad weather your getting.

But it seems to me, that walking is a realy nice cheap exercise that saves on gas, saves the enviroment and probably helps the old ticker..( heart ).

I find walking helps to clear the cobwebs and as much as i also like cyclying, it doesn't give anyway as much calory burn off.

So walking it is.

Besides " solvitor Ambulando " is a good idea.

Aqua

"Solve the ambulance"???

Speaking of, I need to go walk to get some food.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

"Solve the ambulance"???

Speaking of, I need to go walk to get some food.

LOL It means " solve it by walking"

But I suppose the American lawyer version would be "

solve it by chasing ambulances "

Whatever gets your heart a kickstart.

Aqua
  • Reply 3 of 40
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I've got nothing against walking, but I guess I'm way too impatient.

I ride my bike everywhere.

My city is kinda small and everything I need is within a couple of miles.

Work - a block away.

Grocery store - across the street.

Beach - 4 miles away.

Doctor/Dentist/Optometrist/Hair Chopper - within 5 blocks.

Now that I have an iPod though, maybe I should walk more.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    we rely way too much on our cars...it is particularly frustrating for me, since i live right next to strip development, but have to walk across a couple hundred feet of pavement and risk being wiped out by a car on my way to any of the stores. so, i get in my car and drive 1/10 mile. it is so stupid.

i do walk about a mile everyday, 1/2 mile to school and back, i like to park a good measure away from my building for the walk.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Right now it's like 10 degrees out and there's snow every where. But when there's human weather I try to walk places whenever I can. But when it's like this I don't even like walking outside to start my car.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    My wife and I walk to work most days. But tomorrow we may skate.

7.8 kms of well-maintained ice from one end to the other, and we live just a few hundred yards from it.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:

we rely way too much on our cars...it is particularly frustrating for me, since i live right next to strip development, but have to walk across a couple hundred feet of pavement and risk being wiped out by a car on my way to any of the stores. so, i get in my car and drive 1/10 mile. it is so stupid.

Then move. Seriously. I really believe that suburban/strip development is the prime reason American's are getting so fat.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Quote:

My wife and I walk to work most days. But tomorrow we may skate.

Only in Canada.

Any way, I'm not walking for a few reasons. First of all, the ground and roads are still covered with snow and ice. It's still very cold as well as very windy.

We also don't have sidewalks, just roads, and it makes it hard to walk, bike, etc, especially in the bad weather, since the roads are that much narrower with snow on the ground.

Also, things are much more spread out, not all together within a few blocks or even miles, so it's pretty much a given that if you want to go out, you take the car. I live on top of a steep hill too, and climbing that hill is just no fun at all.

Sorry, but I'm driving. \
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

[...]

We also don't have sidewalks, just roads, and it makes it hard to walk, bike, etc, especially in the bad weather, since the roads are that much narrower with snow on the ground.

[...]

Lack of sidewalks in some areas really makes me angry. We should be doing everything we can to encourage people to get out of their cars. Somehow we find the money to accomodate new roads and highways, but not sidewalks. Are sidewalks too expensive? Ridiculous.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

Then move. Seriously. I really believe that suburban/strip development is the prime reason American's are getting so fat.

I agree, i'm only on a 9 month lease here, then i will move somewhere more walkable. oddly, i don't live in suburbia, rather a first-ring original suburb 7 miles from downtown (cincinnati, where suburbia exists even 20-30 miles from the core and keeps moving out). but yeah, this neighborhood has basically become a thoroughfare for nearby communities and is frustratingly car-based for being so compact.

i think next time i'll move across the river from downtown in one of the kentucky neighborhoods

but yeah, as a grad student in city planning, i am all to well aware of the ills of american development
  • Reply 11 of 40
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I think there are some sidewalks in 'downtown' Hollis (which is not exactly a large area), but you have to realize that towns in New Hampshire are *very* spread out, unlike some cities in Massachusetts, for example. When I lived in MA, houses were *very* close together. Here, there's a good amount of forest between me and my neighbors.

Sidewalks seem to go along with things like sewers too. In fact, it's pretty much a direct connection now that I think about it.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    I walk every day all over campus. DON'T LECTURE ME.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I am all about public transportation.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

I think there are some sidewalks in 'downtown' Hollis (which is not exactly a large area), but you have to realize that towns in New Hampshire are *very* spread out, unlike some cities in Massachusetts, for example. When I lived in MA, houses were *very* close together. Here, there's a good amount of forest between me and my neighbors.

Sidewalks seem to go along with things like sewers too. In fact, it's pretty much a direct connection now that I think about it.

yeah, rural areas aren't really the concern sidewalk-wise. i guess the assumption is that you can wander around you or your neighbor's property if you want some exercise

what irks me is these new sidewalk-free subdivisions that are going up daily in 'afluent' suburbia. ick. i'd sooner live in a $100,000 historic home than live in a $750,000 McMansion anyway.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

But surely the very reason you walk around campus is to be lectured....

Just teasing. Couldn't resist.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Oh yeah? I lived in Cincinnati for a few years. Are you in Planning at UC?
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

hahah, who was lecturing you? walking everywhere is what i miss most about college. i drove my car once every week or two, it was incredible
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

Oh yeah? I lived in Cincinnati for a few years. Are you in Planning at UC?

yeah, i'm in the MCP program in DAAP

for those who don't know but might care:

MCP: Master in Community Planning

DAAP: (College of) Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning

why did you live in cinci?
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:

Usually sidewalks lead somewhere, and in suburbia, for example, there's no place to lead to. We are forced to drive through poor design and zoning.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:

I am all about public transportation.

I am too, but usually it's just so unproductive. For example, when I used to take the bus to work the ride would take about 90 minutes. Driving only took me 30 minutes. The main reason was because I had to switch buses and they only came every 45 minutes.

I'm not against cars by any means. I just think that we should design our built environment to make people happy, not cars.

Quote:

yeah, i'm in the MCP program in DAAP

for those who don't know but might care:

MCP: Master in Community Planning

DAAP: (College of) Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning

why did you live in cinci?

I was in the BUP program for two years before I got out...I was an architecture student at heart.