Kerry's Broke!-The real media conspiracy

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Opensecrets.org

Okay I found this one special for all your liberal conspiracy buffs out there. I want some extra special kissing smilies for this.

We all know how the media has been repeating endlessly that Dean is done and broke.

Well a little look at opensecrets and the January 31 filings show that someone is broke, and it isn't Howard Dean.

It is John Kerry with less than two million on hand who is broke. The other "national" candidate, John Edwards doesn't even have $300,000 on hand.

Dean has outraised, outspent and has more cash on hand than either Edwards, Kerry or even Clark.

Glad to see that according to the media, Dean is done and Kerry is rolling.

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    kerry just took out a mortgage on his house.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    it makes an interesting story when the front runner goes broke.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    he's not broke.

he just got his wife to become a democrat, she'll slip him some cash.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    We got a letter from John Kerry even though we haven't supported him that was asking for money. Had a form letter, wanted $25-$250 and mentioned johnkerry.com about 50 times. I donated $25 to the Clark campaign instead. He raised over $250,000 yesterday and was doing well today as well. His campaign staff gave up a week's pay to run commercials, but that was a loophole in the campaign finance laws to let Clark run more ads in Tennessee while continuing to get matching funds, not a sign of his campaign being broke. Clark is actually in very good shape, all things considered.

On that side note, I'm hoping that people consider Wesley Clark as the alternative to the Senator Johns. Neither Kerry or Edwards are going to hold up as well as we need the nominee to under scrutiny. The fact that Edwards only voted 40% of the time in his few years in office, and that he voted for No Child Left Behind and helped write the Patriot Act is something that people have to know. He voted for President Bush's policies 76% of the time.

Kerry also has one of the lowest turnouts for Senate votes, and don't forget that both he and Edwards voted to give the President the authority to declare war on Iraq.

I know Howard Dean is still in the race, but things are not looking good for him, and he could be out after Wisconsin. If things continue to go downhill for him, please consider the only other 'outsider' in the race in General Clark. Despite what has been said, he is *not* a Republican and he, unlike Governor Dean, has the momentum in the polls and is within the margin of error to beat George W. Bush in November.

Dean may have more electoral votes than Clark at the moment, but you have to remember that fewer of Dean's votes are binding and the super delegates can always support another candidate, and Clark can still win in states like Tennessee and Virginia, where he is polling a close second to John Kerry.

Again, vote for who you want, but I hope everyone at least takes a look at General Clark instead of simply dismissing him as a 'Republican', especially supporters of Howard Dean who might find they prefer Clark to Kerry or Edwards if Dean cannot continue in the race.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Quote:

he's not broke.

he just got his wife to become a democrat, she'll slip him some cash

I doubt Senator Kerry would try and accept illegal campaign donations from his wife's trust.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    I guess that means Kerry's been doing an awfully good job with the money he has raised.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zaphod_beeblebrox

I guess that means Kerry's been doing an awfully good job with the money he has raised.

He's not monetarily responsible for the fact that no one knows he's broke. That should tell you something.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

He's not monetarily responsible for the fact that no one knows he's broke. That should tell you something.

Isn't this completely normal when the field is this large? As people drop out (Dean will likely be next) the front-runners begin to get money that would otherwise have gone to another candidate.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Isn't this completely normal when the field is this large? As people drop out (Dean will likely be next) the front-runners begin to get money that would otherwise have gone to another candidate.

My point is that it's completely normal for both Dean and Kerry to be bordering on broke, but not normal that the media would only focus on the negative aspects of one candidate while another candidate shares the exact same predicament.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    I wish I was that broke.

I'm broke! All I got is 2 million. Daaaamn.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

My point is that it's completely normal for both Dean and Kerry to be bordering on broke, but not normal that the media would only focus on the negative aspects of one candidate while another candidate shares the exact same predicament.

bunge gets it!

Nick
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Dean just raised more than $700,000 in one day(actually about 16 hours)! I think he will win the nomination once Edwards and Clark eliminate each other in TN. It will become a two-man race between Dean and Kerry.

http://blog.deanforamerica.com/archives/003572.html
  • Reply 13 of 25
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Is it simply a matter of Bush raising more money than all other presidential candidates in the history of America combined and then squared? I mean, Bush, for the first time, really, makes fundraising a serious, serious issue.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:

Maybe it would tell me something if I could grok what it is you're saying.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

I doubt Senator Kerry would try and accept illegal campaign donations from his wife's trust.

it wouldn't be illegal if he gave up matching funds.

i read yesterday in time that the dems will be pretty flush when they have a nominee, they should be able to match the GOP dollar for dollar.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Dean just raised more than $700,000 in one day(actually about 16 hours)! I think he will win the nomination once Edwards and Clark eliminate each other in TN. It will become a two-man race between Dean and Kerry...

By any chance did Jonathan V. Last interview you for this article?
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Dean just raised more than $700,000 in one day(actually about 16 hours)! I think he will win the nomination once Edwards and Clark eliminate each other in TN. It will become a two-man race between Dean and Kerry.

http://blog.deanforamerica.com/archives/003572.html

Yes, Dean raised $700,000 in one day, but Dean also isn't adhering to campaign spending limits and is not entitled to matching funds. So while Dean has raised $816,422.25, the Clark campaign, for example, where people are only allowed to donate up to $2000 due to campaign finance laws, has raised $415,942 in the same amount of time, which means $831,884 in the same amount of time.

Dean is also making is final campaign push for Wisconsin, so his supporters are donating whatever they can now. For Clark, people have to pace their donations because there is a limit to how much supporters can donate.

Clark is polling better than Edwards in TN and VA right now, but if Edwards or Clark lose to Kerry in TN and VA, the race is over, and Kerry will have it locked up. The bounce Kerry will get from winning those two Southern States, proving that he can win everywhere in the country, will finish off any other Democrats chances.

Right now, this thing is Kerry's to lose. People who are looking to Wisconsin are looking *way* too far ahead. This race could be decided on Tuesday in these Southern States. Michigan, Washington, and Maine are likely going to Kerry this weekend, and if Clark or Edwards don't win on Tuesday, it's over. If Kerry wins VA and TN, Wisconsin is a non factor.

With all due respect to the Deaniacs, Howard Dean has lost all of his momentum. He was forced to skip 7 states last Tuesday, and after making Michigan and Washington his 'do or die' states, he abandoned them to go to Wisconsin instead.

The media destroyed Howard Dean after Iowa, but to be fair, they've given him a ton of positive attention since New Hampshire. He had a full hour to himself on Meet the Press last Sunday, for example, and he is still getting more attention than Wesley Clark, and a little more attention than John Edwards.

Your guy is going to make his final stand in Wisconsin, and I don't see how he's going to be able to make up the ground he's lost in that state. If Dean doesn't make it, please look at the Clark campaign as an alternative.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

i read yesterday in time that the dems will be pretty flush when they have a nominee, they should be able to match the GOP dollar for dollar.

No, the Heinz foundation does not allow for Kerry's wife to take money ot for political campaigns. She gets a certain amount of money to live on from the foundation, but the reason that John Kerry mortgaged the house was because they can't touch that money.

Plus, Kerry does *not* get matching money, neither does Howard Dean, since they don't abide by the finance laws. Bush does not get matching money either.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

Not taking matching funds does not remove the $2,000 per person donation limitation.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

Yes, Dean raised $700,000 in one day, but Dean also isn't adhering to campaign spending limits and is not entitled to matching funds. So while Dean has raised $816,422.25, the Clark campaign, for example, where people are only allowed to donate up to $2000 due to campaign finance laws, has raised $415,942 in the same amount of time, which means $831,884 in the same amount of time.

Huh? People are Dean are still only allowed to donate up to $2000 to Dean. Oh, and federal matahcing funds only apply to up to the first $250 of donations which means only about 30% more money for Clark.