Bush to Name McCain to Intelligence Panel

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Now to me this legitimizes Bush's push for an investigation. As long as they don't try to hold back information Bush has done the most responsible thing he could do in my opinion. I'd trust a report from a panel that McCain is running.

Yahoo News....yeah I know but it's the first paper i saw to headline it so live with it : )

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You know, it goes a long ways for me as well. McCain was who I *wanted* as the Republican nominee in 2000. Ah well.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    If you actually think for one split second that there is any possibility that any Bush-appointed investigation will yield any negative results, you are kidding yourself. And I'm not saying that from a pro-Bush or anti-Bush standpoint, I'm saying it from a political science standpoint.

Seriously, this is the kind of stuff that academics laugh at. Constantly.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    In the hearing of Kay McCain didn´t ask anything that related to the WoMD intelligence. He asked questions like "Did Saddam use gas on the kurds in the 80s or did he not?", "Is Saddam a dangerous person for the US or not?" and "Did Saddam try to kill Bush senior or did he not?". None of the question dealt with the job Kay and the intelligence service was given (finding out if there was WoMDs) and was a way of saying "So what if there wasn´t WoMDs. There was a number of reasons to go to war that wasn´t WoMD related" which is a fair position to have BUT NOT WHEN THE ISSUES IS WOMDS SPECIFIC.

I hope that McCain can live up to the respect he has and stick to the issue of intelligence and WoMDs. But I fear he will let the general question "Was the war justified OVERALL despite the missing WoMDs?" take the center.

Regarding Kay I find it interesting and also sad that when McCain asked him the questions above he answered them willingly and gave the board what was nothing more than known facts and his own opinion. But when Kenndy asked him about the question about the war being justified by the presence of WoMDs he said something like "I only want to answer questions relating to my specific job in Iraq. The politics I leave to the politicians" as he was handed a poo-poo. Thats apparently only the case when asked by someone opposing the war. Double standarts
  • Reply 4 of 7
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...nel/index.html

Objective?????? What a sick joke...it's like getting bin Laden to investigate al Qaeda. Everything about this administration stinks...9-11, Iraq, energy policy, unaffordable taxcuts, grandscale cronyism & out-of-control corporate welfare.... objectivism is an alien concept to BushCorp.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    It will be hard to have an intelligence panel with McCain on it. He has proven without a doubt that he is a moron with "gun show loopholes" and "finance reform".
  • Reply 6 of 7
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    This is a joke. McCain has stated today that he didn't think the president or his adminstartion did anything wrong... BEFORE one word of testimony.

Reeeeeal impartial. Made up his mind before it even got started.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    According to Josh Marshall the commission doesn't appear to have any subpoena power.

Quote:

Anything the White House did with those CIA analyses, any fisticuffs between the Veep's office and the CIA, anything stovepiped through Doug Feith's operation at the Pentagon, anything that made its way from Chalabi's mumbo-jumbocrats to the the president's speechwriters -- that's all beyond their brief.

The findings are DOA, move along...

Screed